Oakley Racing jacket

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jason

very excited to have picked up a pair of these up yesterday and very pleased with the fit.

https://www.evanscycles.com/oakley-...ck-prizm-trail-and-clear-vented-lens-EV239295

but I have a couple of questions for those of you in the know ..
1. should they have a retention (head strap) in the box? online videos suggest they do, but Evans Cycles are yet to confirm.
2. where is the best place to have prescription lenses made, as I tend to wear glasses and occasionally contacts when riding. The only two I'm aware of are Ciliary blue and Optilabs

hope you can help - thanks

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Be aware that the prescription lenses for Oakleys are bonded to the lens rather than an RX insert and are far from cheap.

vickster

Legendary Member
Rx Direct glaze full Oakleys about £300. I damaged one of my lenses recently, spoke to Rx sport, £250 just for transition lenses. They aren't bonded to the frame at least on the bottle rockets, they sort of slot and clip in a very specific way. I chipped the edge so no longer stay in. Now superglued after being told the cost

You might find it cheaper to buy the frame and Rx lens combo, returning what you have to Evans

OP
OP
Jason

Jason

"You might find it cheaper to buy the frame and Rx lens combo, returning what you have to Evans"

I tried on some rudy projects with optical insert and didn't get on with them. Hence the choice to go with direct glazed. Ciliary Blue charge £160 for the super duper bipolar lenses I want with nice blue tint, so that brings the total to £300 which i can live with as I'm not expecting my distance vision to change.
Just wondering if any other options really :-)

OP
OP
Jason

Jason

update: Evans Cycles confirm they do come with a retention strap, so I should bring mine back and get an exchange. doubt i'll use it, but if it's supposed to be in the box, then it's supposed to be in the box :-)

OP
OP
Jason

Jason

lunchtime today was the first time I could test the glasses , and they are fantastic. The fit is excellent, the small holes allow just enough air in to avoid fogging.
I've placed the order for my variofocal prescription + transitions with ciliary blue , as riding today with contacts was fine, but not the preferred way for me.

Now my attention is turning to riding during the autumn/winter - should i get some clear or yellow tint lenses made up ?
A quick search on the net gives conflicting advice regarding the use of yellow tinted glasses - can anyone shed some light?
what is your own experience of riding with glasses after dark on roads? (not trails etc)

OP
OP
Jason

Jason

don't transitions leave a tint? (no experience of them) - so is my question redundant regarding night cycling?

vickster

Legendary Member
don't transitions leave a tint? (no experience of them) - so is my question redundant regarding night cycling?
If it's dark, they are clear or certainly not tinted enough to affect seeing (Oakley transitions are very responsive in my experience)

OP
OP
Jason

Jason

The new lenses arrived, and whilst they work great, the fitting within the frame wasn't up to standard. Sent them back to Ciliary Blue, and to their credit are ordering another pair of lenses, to refit the frame, at no cost to me.
I think what a company does when things go wrong, is more important than when things go well. It would have been nice to wear them over the sunny bank holiday :-)

Top Bottom