Obese re-beginner looking for training advice.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I would gradually ramp it up. Try going out on your bike tomorrow for another 2.5 miles. Then have Thursday off. If you feel okay on Friday then go for another 2.5 mile ride. Take the weekend off.

Next week try and ride 3 miles on Mon, Wed, Fri. If you feel tired before a ride then either wait till afternoon if it’s morning or delay the ride till the next day.

For the next month I’d just get out 3 days a week. Add an extra mile to each ride each week. That means 4 miles in a couple of weeks, 5 miles in three weeks. Delay a ride till afternoon or next day if tired when due to do a ride.

From November keep the length of your rides fixed but add an extra day, say Tuesday or Sunday. You are now cycling 4 days a week. Keep at that through the darker months. No need to increase distance at this point.

From late February the light begins to return. Either add an extra mile to your rides and progress it that way. Otherwise an an extra day so you are cycling 5 days a week. Make sure you have at least 2 days off the bike for recovery.

Another way is to increase the time. So you could go from 15 mins to 20 mins as an example. Don’t worry about speed or any other measures at this point. Your body’s tendons and muscles will be getting strengthened and used to the exercise. Your heart will be getting stronger. It’s important to progress slowly and steadily to allow your body to able to handle the new loads and not get injured.

sasquath

Firstly congrats on getting back to cycling.

Plenty of great advice above.
Don't get discouraged if scales won't move for a while - your legs will get a ton of new muscle.

For winter bad weather get cheap trainer and adapt your MTB to it(smooth tyre), don't forget about cooling fan.
And your gravel bike can remain ready for outdoors ride.

Last edited:
OP
OP
20to11

20to11

Regular
So many replies! Thank you to everyone for all your advice and sharing your experience. A lot of it chimes from when I used to cycle more often before I put the weight on, so it's good to know I'm on the right path. My apologies for mentioning my eating plan, I didn't meant to start a discussion on the pros and cons of keto (though suffice it to say it's the diet for me).

I found it only took a month or two of regular short rides to start to get much fitter.

Unless you are cycling up hills...

That's good to know things will be better in a month or two. As for hills... hah, no chance of that right now! Dragging my weight up even small inclines is hilariously difficult. Though I will hopefully test that a few times as I improve.

Photos are a great way of getting us off our ass - pick a theme of whatever you like and a plan to photo every bridge/church/pub within x miles of your house.

Can you do any chores on the bike?

Great idea regarding the photos. I thankfully live in quite a nice place so lots of opportunities for photos. And yes! I definitely can do chores. I work from home so I'm always popping to the shops/post office etc... I just have to get over my fear of my bike getting nicked.

I would gradually ramp it up...

Thank you, Ming! This is exactly the kind of advice I was hoping for. It sounds like a sensible plan to me. As much as I think I would like to do long, epic rides, at the moment, this is purely for fitness/heart health as you mention. The diet will shed the pounds, so this plan sounds like something I could reasonably stick to. Having been sedentary for... far too many years, I'll definitely have to focus on the slow-and-steady. Thanks!

For winter bad weather get cheap trainer and adapt your MTB to it(smooth tyre), don't forget about cooling fan.
And your gravel bike can remain ready for outdoors ride.

As it's currently pissing down outside (and I don't have any wet weather gear) this is indeed something I had considered. I dare say, at least to begin with, I'm going to be a fair weather rider, so having an indoor solution makes a lot of sense.

OP
OP
20to11

20to11

Regular
I've embarked on a low carb(very low) and high fat diet. I don't think I'm truly in ketosis yet, but aim to get there in a few months. I've found that once carbs are all but eliminated from your diet, hunger pangs disappear. I can go 18 hours fasting without any thought of food now.

Sounds like you're doing well. I agree with all you've said, by the way. I'm currently 5 weeks into my second long-term keto phase. I started with intermittent fasting, up to 48hrs and a few 72hrs. I now do one meal a day (evening) and a 48hr fast weekly. I'm almost never hungry and have unlimited mental energy. Physical too, though my weak muscles and lack of any kind of cardiovascular strength makes a mockery of all that available energy :smile:

jay clock

Massive member
I would gradually ramp it up. Try going out on your bike tomorrow for another 2.5 miles. Then have Thursday off. If you feel okay on Friday then go for another 2.5 mile ride. Take the weekend off.

Next week try and ride 3 miles on Mon, Wed, Fri. If you feel tired before a ride then either wait till afternoon if it’s morning or delay the ride till the next day.

For the next month I’d just get out 3 days a week. Add an extra mile to each ride each week. That means 4 miles in a couple of weeks, 5 miles in three weeks. Delay a ride till afternoon or next day if tired when due to do a ride.

From November keep the length of your rides fixed but add an extra day, say Tuesday or Sunday. You are now cycling 4 days a week. Keep at that through the darker months. No need to increase distance at this point.

From late February the light begins to return. Either add an extra mile to your rides and progress it that way. Otherwise an an extra day so you are cycling 5 days a week. Make sure you have at least 2 days off the bike for recovery.

Another way is to increase the time. So you could go from 15 mins to 20 mins as an example. Don’t worry about speed or any other measures at this point. Your body’s tendons and muscles will be getting strengthened and used to the exercise. Your heart will be getting stronger. It’s important to progress slowly and steadily to allow your body to able to handle the new loads and not get injured.
what he said. Little and often and build into a habit. Well done

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
As it's currently pissing down outside (and I don't have any wet weather gear) this is indeed something I had considered. I dare say, at least to begin with, I'm going to be a fair weather rider, so having an indoor solution makes a lot of sense.
It is here too. I need to get my turbo trainer fixed up again soon or I will end up doing my usual trick of losing in the winter much of the fitness that I gain from spring to autumn!

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
My three ha'pence is: Don't think of it as training - think of it as going for a ride. To me "training" sounds like a chore, while "going for a ride" sounds like fun.

Mind you, that's just me. Different people respond differently to different kinds of incentive - so if you thrive in a more structured environment then do think of it as training. Whatever floats your boat.

Pretty useless post really :smile:

OP
OP
20to11

20to11

Regular
It is here too. I need to get my turbo trainer fixed up again soon or I will end up doing my usual trick of losing in the winter much of the fitness that I gain from spring to autumn!

Having never used a trainer before, is there really much of a difference between 'dumb' and 'smart' trainers to warrant that massive hike in cost? If I wanted to do some Zwifting, is it still doable on a dumb trainer?

OP
OP
20to11

20to11

Regular
My three ha'pence is: Don't think of it as training - think of it as going for a ride. To me "training" sounds like a chore, while "going for a ride" sounds like fun.

Mind you, that's just me. Different people respond differently to different kinds of incentive - so if you thrive in a more structured environment then do think of it as training. Whatever floats your boat.

Pretty useless post really :smile:

Not useless at all, mate. I appreciate the input, and it's something other riders might get some value from too. I love riding regardless of whether it's serious or not. In hindsight, I've no idea why I stopped for so long. Weird how that happens. But for me personally, I find having a plan/routine really helps me stay on top of things. I can easily fall back into bad habits due to depression, so a slightly more focussed plan helps to give me something in addition to the fun of the ride to remain on track. I dare say once my fitness improves and the weight comes off, I'll have more periods of unstructured riding for the smiles. I'll hopefully find a balance along the way. :smile:

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Having never used a trainer before, is there really much of a difference between 'dumb' and 'smart' trainers to warrant that massive hike in cost?
I only have a 'dumb' one, but the smart ones sound like fun. It is up to you if you think that is worth paying the extra for!

If I wanted to do some Zwifting, is it still doable on a dumb trainer?
I was going to say no, but maybe yes - see HERE.

sasquath

Having never used a trainer before, is there really much of a difference between 'dumb' and 'smart' trainers to warrant that massive hike in cost? If I wanted to do some Zwifting, is it still doable on a dumb trainer?
On a dumb one you need speed and cadence sensors to use zwift, heart rate monitor is added bonus but not essential.
That's how I use mine.
Is added power accuracy and resistance following virtual road worth £450-900? Depends. For making indor cycling less boring, no.
To see measurable progress, no.
To ride with friends, not necessary.
To get competitive(even a bit), hell yeah.

Last edited:

Dolorous Edd

Yes. You need to buy a "speed sensor" for your rear wheel, but they don't cost a lot - maybe £20-£30.
Even if you are thinking of buying a smart trainer, my advice would be to try Zwift on a dumb trainer for a while first.
Some people love Zwift, others get bored of it, so you'll be able to give it a good go and see what you think before spending the big bucks.

CXRAndy

Guru
Sounds like you're doing well. I agree with all you've said, by the way. I'm currently 5 weeks into my second long-term keto phase. I started with intermittent fasting, up to 48hrs and a few 72hrs. I now do one meal a day (evening) and a 48hr fast weekly. I'm almost never hungry and have unlimited mental energy. Physical too, though my weak muscles and lack of any kind of cardiovascular strength makes a mockery of all that available energy :smile:

I've just entered fourth week of LCHF regime. I don't feel I need to extend my intermittent fasting beyond 18/6 strategy yet. I'm reducing my waist size a little each week. If I plateau then I'll look at mixing up some longer fasting periods.

My cycling is coming along fine-I used to be obsessed and pretty fit with it. I'm riding up to 2hours in Z2 effort, which is fine. I've done a couple of fasted rides- only water, I didn't want or crave any food after, lasted till normal dinner time. So low intensity rides can easily be achieved on water. I'm starting weights again for some growth hormone stimulation.

It is quite bizarre, that you do get mental clarity and far, far less fatigue without(very low) carbohydratres.

I watch this chaps videos quite a bit. https://www.youtube.com/c/drekberg

He doesn't ram the information at you, makes some common sense regarding how western 'carb loaded' diets are a major problem for literally billions of people.

The vast majority of us are/have been sleep walking to insulin resistance from a young age, leading to diabetes

Last edited:
Top Bottom