Obese re-beginner looking for training advice.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
As for hills... hah, no chance of that right now! Dragging my weight up even small inclines is hilariously difficult.
I was born and brought up in the Peak District. Thank GOODNESS I now live in what I call 'the flatlands' - I can go north, south and west from where I live on the outskirts of a Lancashire city, and remain on the flatlands. I cannot go east, as 'there be dragons 🐉' in the form of :eek:... hills ⛰ ... :eek:!
I can just about manage short slopes. For a few weeks after I began, I had to get off and push on those, even the slope up a hump-backed bridge going over the canal. But just a few short weeks on, and I can manage those fine now - progress is really surprisingly fast as long as I take notice of small increments!

I just have to get over my fear of my bike getting nicked.
Yes, and double yes. I also have the issue of being rather short so getting a bike to actually fit me is ... problematic. But hopefully my small-size, old-lady step-through bike shouldn't be too attractive, I have good locks and am careful where I leave it.

Having been sedentary for... far too many years, I'll definitely have to focus on the slow-and-steady.
Tell me about it! Don't permit yourself to ride into , or with, pain at all. A little discomfort and a few mild aches are fine but riding into or with, actual pain is not ok, especially with an unaccustomed-to-use body! Listen to your body, adjust and adapt things for maximum comfort. After my first couple of weeks of rides, I found I was getting a tiny bit saddle sore as I slightly increased both distance and time. I shifted the position of the saddle for my next ride by millimetres, and shifted it back for the ride after that. I did that for about three weeks, slight shifts of the saddle and the handlebars, after every ride where I got any soreness. I knew the basic set-up was correct for me, the shifts were literally millimetres, just slightly moving pressure points so as to allow the sore bit some further recovery from the day off (minimum) I took between each ride. I've shifted nothing for about a month now, and there's no actual soreness any more - which is one of the reasons I can - and occasionally do - now ride on consecutive days, if I want to. It'll be useful as cycling becomes more and more weather dependent as the winter rolls on.

I think the idea of 'doing chores' such as shopping by bike is an excellent one and if you can find a good supermarket that's a nice ride away and has cycle parking, that's a bonus! I've been lucky enough to find just such a one that I can get to with scarcely any traffic, just 3 miles of cycle tracks, quiet lanes and shared cycle/pedestrian paths. I used to have to give myself half a day to get there, do my shopping and come back, when I started. I do it easily, and leisurely, in about an hour and a half or less now. Kill two birds with one stone - do the shopping AND get in a bike ride!

All the best for you going forward!

OP
OP
20to11

20to11

Regular
I was going to say no, but maybe yes - see HERE.

Thanks Colin. I'll take a ganders shortly.

To see measurable progress, no.

I'm sold! :smile:

Even if you are thinking of buying a smart trainer, my advice would be to try Zwift on a dumb trainer for a while first.

Very good advice. I appreciate it!

I love Ekberg. I've been watching him for years now. I also like Fung's work (his book is amazing). Lots of great info on YouTube these days that you can't get from GPs who don't seem to know their doughnuts from their salads. Keep up the fine work, mate. Sounds like you're on the right path to hit your goals. Keto really is a game-change for many. Two years ago I lost over 60lbs in just shy of six months with zero exercise. Would have kept it off, too if I hadn't had a mental wobble and then got obsessed with takeaway food 'Just Eat' is a terrible thing. Once I'm on the sugar/carbs, I have no control and crave it like heroin. When I'm in ketosis, all that goes away. It's a miracle at times. Hopefully the addition of cycling will help me from going 'back' to the old habits.

Last edited:
OP
OP
20to11

20to11

Regular
... if you can find a good supermarket that's a nice ride away and has cycle parking, that's a bonus!

All the best for you going forward!

That's great to hear you're making progress up the inclines. I'd have no chance with humped bridges at the moment, but there's plenty around where I live so I'll use those as progress gauges. As for supermarkets, I'm pretty lucky in that I'm just outside of the town centre so I have at least 4 all within a mile and a half, a co-op less than half a mile, and various offies and convenience shops on the way. I had even considered buying an absolute beater off eBay for those chores so that I won't feel so upset should some scrote decide to help himself to it. But if it's older, dirtier, and less desirable than other bikes in the same lockup (thankfully almost all of the shops/supermarkets have dedicated bike spots), I'll likely get away with it :smile:

OP
OP
20to11

20to11

Regular
Update for those interested. Since I posted, I've been on 14 rides, getting out between 4 and 5 times a week.

I've gone from doing around 3k to 20k (12mins to 60mins). In the last two weeks I also bought a Zwift setup (Kickr Core + a cheap used road bike) and fallen in love with indoor riding. I've stuck to a training plan, and finished up with a little over 4hrs of riding last week. Although I'm not putting out much power (yet), I'm able to last a lot longer in the saddle, and have eliminated the almost instant quad burn I experienced in the beginning. I also recently took delivery of my shiny new gravel bike which is really fun to ride.

I'm also down a couple of KG and have lost about 15cms off my chest/waist/thighs/arms etc.

I update all my stuff on Strava, so if anyone wants to follow along, my profile is here: https://www.strava.com/athletes/16068260

Last edited:

sasquath

Update for those interested. Since I posted, I've been on 14 rides, getting out between 4 and 5 times a week.

I've gone from doing around 3k to 20k (12mins to 60mins). In the last two weeks I also bought a Zwift setup (Kickr Core + a cheap used road bike) and fallen in love with indoor riding. I've stuck to a training plan, and finished up with a little over 4hrs of riding last week. Although I'm not putting out much power (yet), I'm able to last a lot longer in the saddle, and have eliminated the almost instant quad burn I experienced in the beginning. I also recently took delivery of my shiny new gravel bike which is really fun to ride.

I'm also down a couple of KG and have lost about 15cms off my chest/waist/thighs/arms etc.

I update all my stuff on Strava, so if anyone wants to follow along, my profile is here: https://www.strava.com/athletes/16068260
Awesome, well done man!!!
Don't worry about power, it's all about burning those calories and burning excess fat for now. You did great progress as it is.
Keep up the good routine you have going and power will come. It's important to keep it enjoyabe and keep going.

OP
OP
20to11

20to11

Regular
Awesome, well done man!!!
Don't worry about power, it's all about burning those calories and burning excess fat for now. You did great progress as it is.
Keep up the good routine you have going and power will come. It's important to keep it enjoyabe and keep going.

It's definitely enjoyable and I definitely intend to keep going. Seeing the progress each ride is quite addictive which helps.

great work. with Strava it is worth looking at the privacy settings to hide part of your mapped route.

Yup, I have that set up. Good tip :smile:

Fredo76

Über Member
I found that keeping a training log helps with motivation. Mine also has blood pressure and blood sugar readings I do most days. I also found that daily fasting is aided by drinking broth, which somehow feels more substantial than it is. I agree with the advice to keep it fun, not a chore. Riding during a nice time of day helps with this, as does lightening up if you're having a sluggish kind of day. Keeping it fun is key.

Congratulations!

OP
OP
20to11

20to11

Regular
How are things @20to11?

You haven't been around in a while and I also don't see you doing much on Strava... How's the weight loss journey? Hope everything is alright at your end.

Hey Peter. Things are okay, thanks. Currently off training at the moment due to a combination of injury, tight work deadlines, and in the process of moving my Zwift setup from indoors to the garage and requiring a bit of finagling to get it all up and running. I've basically decided to put things on hold until the new year as I'll be traveling to spend xmas with family for the rest of the year, but I'll be back training and Strava-updating come the new year! Hope you're doing well too. I appreciated the kudos from you; it really helps with motivation, so thank you for that :smile:

Proto

Legendary Member
Enjoyment is the key. Don’t beat yourself up with unrealistic ambitions, setting yourself up to fail.

Ride for fun, and try to include cycling as part of your normal everyday life - ride to work, ride to the shops, ride with friends, ride with your kids - just ride!

Apart from the exercise benefit of cycling, enjoy just being outside in the fresh air. Time on your own or with others, just being outside is so good for the soul!

And don’t discount an eBike, they are briliant.

PS I’ll put my head above the parapet with this, but I’m of the opinion that no one ever lost weight through exercise.

Saluki

World class procrastinator

Hi. I have followed you. Maxwell Edison is my Strava name :rolleyes:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Good luck getting back to it in 2022. Don’t worry that the fitness will have leached away with lack of exercise these past 6 weeks. Just reset expectations and then try and make exercise part of your routine again. Remember exercise isn’t just about fitness but also investing in your long term health.

Top Bottom