Obesity

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

snorri

Legendary Member
It's not all about food, paying by the mile/km for private car use would help along with improved infrastructure for walking and cycling. Also lowering motor vehicle speed limits on both urban and rural roads would make walking and cycling a safer and much more pleasant experience which would encourage active travel.

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
Yep that really worked for cigarette smokers didn't it, as i understand it's now on the increase again, have you noticed how many more TV shows have smokers in them, not something you saw a few years ago.
I mean really punitive. For fags id have 15 or 20 quid on a pack of 10, with ruthless punishments for illegal imports. A 10 quid tax on a 99p slop burger from the drive thru would make a lot of people seek an alternative, and if the alternatives are massively taxed then what else is there?

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I'm not convinced that a tax on "junk" food would work. Obese people abuse food, so switching to something cheaper to get your carb/fat/sugar fix would be a workaround. It's a bit like saying let's get rid of alcoholism by making spirits £40/bottle. Those with a problem would just switch to drinking 10 cans of lager a day rather than 1 bottle of vodka.

I'd like to see more support groups etc for obese people, as they have an addicition just like alcoholics. And I'm speaking as someone who has problems controlling their weight. When I'm in a binge eating phase, I go for ice cream, chocolate, burgers etc. If they were too pricey for me then I could just as easily overeat on fried rice and milkshakes and take in 1500kcals in one sitting

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
I mean really punitive. For fags id have 15 or 20 quid on a pack of 10, with ruthless punishments for illegal imports. A 10 quid tax on a 99p slop burger from the drive thru would make a lot of people seek an alternative, and if the alternatives are massively taxed then what else is there?
I see where you are coming from Mr Drago, but fast food isn't the only unhealthy choices out there. You could equally make an unhealthy burger or pasty at home using ingredients we all buy from a butcher or supermarket. The dangers from such a proposal would be we are all simply taxed to oblivion for no real reason and i highly doubt any government would have the cojones to do such a thing anyway and that we would then be "encouraged" to eat a selection of vegan friendly products that we tolerate because the meat products are taxed at 1000% limiting choice and putting us at the mercy of lunatic activists... Even though i have lost a significant amount of weight, i still enjoy a pie, a burger and a cake from time to time and can keep it off even though ive been a fat barsteward in the past.

I would say sugar is probably one of the biggest issues. If we must tax anything to encourage a change in eating habits, it should be that. This would be punitive on people yes, but it may also encourage food manufacturers to switch to different ingredients rather than loading humble foods, with a load of sugar in order to gain a competitive edge in taste over its rivals...

Drago

Legendary Member
You could, but how many do? The people who clamour to buy filth like McDonalds are not liable to the be same people who are into home cuisine.

It ain't difficult. That hole (points at mouth) is bigger than that one (points at arriss). No excuses. No one came out of a viet cong prison a lardo, or 3 stone overweight after months adrift on a life raft - in situations where people have been forced to eat less the excuses for being chubby invariably count for nothing and the weight still comes off.

The other issue is one of the NHS's ability to determine obestity. Every time I fill out a form I come out as grossly obese, yet every time a medico actually lays eyes upon me they invatiably apologise and confirm that I am most definitely anything but. They rely on a seriously outdated, grossly inaccurate, incredibly inappropriate method for determining who is obese.

Last edited:
There's no one single "fix" for this. Another factor in the whole equation is that people tend to be time poor, and so ready meals and takeaways are the convenient option when it's late and you're hungry.

Also, a distinct lack of kitchen skills. Although I count myself luckier than most, as my mum trained in a professional kitchen, and then she taught me to cook at an early age. Plus Home Economics (as it was back then in the mid-80s) was compulsory for the first two years of senior school. So I've always cooked, and it's never occurred for me to do otherwise. But in the years since, there deems to be a growing disconnect between people and cooking. It's as much a lack of education as anything.

If i know that I'm going to be busy etc, I will batch cook in advance, so all I need to do is reheat something. And failing that, it doesn't take long to whizz up an omelette or a jacket potato.

The thing that really bugs me though, is that a lot of the cheaper options in terms of food is processed / prepared. Which is where people tend to gravitate to if they're on a limited budget and don't have kitchen skills.

I've noticed a stark contrast between the contents of my trolley in the supermarket and those of other people. And yes, I'm on a reasonably tight budget, but there is good value to be had in the fresh produce aisles, in among the dried / canned goods and certainly on yellow sticker.

N.B. The women on my dad's side of the family are all short and have a tendency towards obesity, so I do have to be careful. Let's just say that being a size 16 when you're 4ft 11 is most definitely NOT a good look... :blush:

OP
OP
Blue Hills
. No one came out of a viet cong prison a lardo, or 3 stone overweight after months adrift on a life raft - i
Can't be all stick drago - suggest you launch these two diets - vietcong prison and life raft - pronto as cheery carrots to a grateful populace.

Look forward to seeing you on the bbc breakfast sofa soon, all aglow from your morning quaffing of your own urine.

The dangers from such a proposal would be we are all simply taxed to oblivion for no real reason and i highly doubt any government would have the cojones to do such a thing anyway
- we're really not. Look at the countries paying more tax than us; most are healthier and happier. Would it hurt to try that?
- correct. Most of our politicians are too gutless to show any leadership.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
You could, but how many do? The people who clamour to buy filth like McDonalds are not liable to the be same people who are into home cuisine.

It ain't difficult. That hole (points at mouth) is bigger than that one (points at arriss). No excuses. No one came out of a viet cong prison a lardo, or 3 stone overweight after months adrift on a life raft - in situations where people have been forced to eat less the excuses for being chubby invariably count for nothing and the weight still comes off.

The other issue is one of the NHS's ability to determine obestity. Every time I fill out a form I come out as grossly obese, yet every time a medico actually lays eyes upon me they invatiably apologise and confirm that I am most definitely anything but. They rely on a seriously outdated, grossly inaccurate, incredibly inappropriate method for determining who is obese.

Starvation does work, absolutely no doubt about it. Your teeth may fall out, you leg may snap at any given moment and the next time you put food in your mouth, your stomach might explode, but it is definitely an option... :laugh:

Aye, the NHS BMI calculation is a vague indicator at best. I believe the "pinch" test is it? is a more accurate indicator.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
a growing disconnect between people and cooking
That's the nail on the head I think. Involve your kids in cooking and choosing meals, but that all takes time and effort, and some people (me included sometimes) do not have the time or energy to do this. Especially in areas of high deprivation - 60% of school age kids in deprived areas are classified as obese, compared to 17% in more affluent areas source

D

Deleted member 26715

Are you also going to tax TV's, laptops, tablets, PC's all the things that make people sit & while their time away, my wife does very little exercise, so she is now in the Catch22 situation, she's obese, needs to exercise, can't exercise as she's obese, this is a weekly discussion, but there is only one person who can do it for her & it's not me.

Starvation does work, absolutely no doubt about it. Your teeth may fall out, you leg may snap at any given moment and the next time you put food in your mouth, your stomach might explode, but it is definitely an option... :laugh:

Aye, the NHS BMI calculation is a vague indicator at best. I believe the "pinch" test is it? is a more accurate indicator.

The most useful indicator I've ran across is that your waist should be smaller than half your height - easily checkable with something as simple as a piece of string. It effectively measures the amount of visceral fat as opposed to subcutaneous.

BMI doesn't take into account muscle mass, which isn't great if you're stocky but not fat.

Top Bottom