Obesity

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Indeed. There are multiple issues that need to be tackled that span things as diverse as education, advertising, mental health, the easy availability of junk food...
Embarrassed to admit, I pretty much live on ready meals and sandwiches. Was never interested in “girly” stuff at school so just skived or mucked about in cookery/sewing classes. My mum did the basics of plain cooking and baking but I was never interested in it apart from licking the bowl. Lol. I don’t even have a freezer at the moment, just a frozen compartment in the fridge which holds a couple of loaves and the odd bag of frozen veg. :laugh:

... which is why it's bloody annoying when folks say:
"THAT won't work - look, these fat people got like that despite your berrrrrrilliant idea!"

If policy-makers are planning to impose a remedy such as taxes on junk food that imposes significant costs on low income families, I do think they are under an obligation to demonstrate - by reference to evidence - that such a remedy is likely to make a real difference.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Do you really think it is? my wife is obese, it's nothing to do with what she sees on TV, there's a mental side of it of which she won't seek help, there are no NHS services available anyway, but there's also an hereditary side of it, she comes from a line of overweight people & has fought it for 50 years & lost most of the time.

I am no expert, but, I think you will find there are NHS Services available (perhaps, not in your immediate area). There are such services available in Sunderland, Tyne-Wear.

If policy-makers are planning to impose a remedy such as taxes on junk food that imposes significant costs on low income families, I do think they are under an obligation to demonstrate - by reference to evidence - that such a remedy is likely to make a real difference.
I'm not totally convinced: do you require similar evidence of EVERY change announced at every budget?
Sometimes the precautionary principle applies: let's try this, it will probably be a good thing, and we won't know until we try - but doing nothing is costing lives.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
I mean really punitive. For fags id have 15 or 20 quid on a pack of 10, with ruthless punishments for illegal imports. A 10 quid tax on a 99p slop burger from the drive thru would make a lot of people seek an alternative, and if the alternatives are massively taxed then what else is there?

Food Banks?

Embarrassed to admit, I pretty much live on ready meals and sandwiches. Was never interested in “girly” stuff at school so just skived or mucked about in cookery/sewing classes. My mum did the basics of plain cooking and baking but I was never interested in it apart from licking the bowl. Lol. I don’t even have a freezer at the moment, just a frozen compartment in the fridge which holds a couple of loaves and the odd bag of frozen veg. :laugh:

I went to a girls school, so no option but to be girly, even though I'm not. I mucked around in textile classes as well, btw :laugh:

My dad was involved in army catering so I got a thorough education on buying and preparing food from both my parents. I guess I'm well outside the norm in that respect - it's one of my life's passions.

But I find cooking relaxing, it makes me happy, and I get such a kick out of putting a good meal on the table. :angel:

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
- we're really not. Look at the countries paying more tax than us; most are healthier and happier. Would it hurt to try that?
- correct. Most of our politicians are too gutless to show any leadership.
Which countries do you refer to? I'd be surprised if most developed countries tax rate on foods is much different to ours, give or take a few percent.

Which countries do you refer to? I'd be surprised if most developed countries tax rate on foods is much different to ours, give or take a few percent.
You didn't specify food tax:
we are all simply taxed to oblivion for no real reason
Now I'm confused - do you think we pay a lot of tax on food or not??

But most foods aren't taxed...

Some are, like cakes and chocolate. Remember the debate whether Jaffa Cakes were biscuits or cakes in order for VAT to be applied or not. Those items to which VAT is applicable will be asterisked on your till reciept, btw.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
But most foods aren't taxed...

Some are, like cakes and chocolate. Remember the debate whether Jaffa Cakes were biscuits or cakes in order for VAT to be applied or not. Those items to which VAT is applicable will be asterisked on your till reciept, btw.

Could be wrong, but, I thought hot take-away food was taxed (VAT)? I seem to recall a big debate about Greggs Sausage Rolls (not that I eat them) ;)

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
The Danish had a "fat tax" but abolished it back in 2012. At the time approximately 47% of Danes were overweight. A study conducted in 2016 suggested that the Danes brought 4% less saturated fat products, consumed more fruit and veg but also consumed more salt, salt which causes high blood pressure which leads to more serious health conditions... The study also ignored the fact that one of the reasons it was scrapped was because Danes were hopping over the border to Germany and stocking up there, so how much of that 4% actually was 4% is another factor... The reversal lead to the cancelling of a planned sugar tax...

It didn't work for Denmark...

Top Bottom