Obesity

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
As already stated if people have eating issues then no amount of tax will address the problem, it might however reduce the amount of obese kids about due to what their parents feed them.

That's the real crime as far as I'm concerned.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
The thing that really bugs me though, is that a lot of the cheaper options in terms of food is processed / prepared. Which is where people tend to gravitate to if they're on a limited budget and don't have kitchen skills.

And in the cheaper supermarkets you find that a tin of fruit, say, will be in syrup rather than in fruit juice. So someone thinks they're being relatively healthy by eating fruit but it's got sugar added.

Could be wrong, but, I thought hot take-away food was taxed (VAT)? I seem to recall a big debate about Greggs Sausage Rolls (not that I eat them) ;)

Oh yes, I remember that palaver too... I have it in my head that the so called Cornish Pastie Tax was eventually dropped on the QT, but I may be wrong on that.

And in the cheaper supermarkets you find that a tin of fruit, say, will be in syrup rather than in fruit juice. So someone thinks they're being relatively healthy by eating fruit but it's got sugar added.

Ouch, that's sneaky. And very wrong, IMHO.

The supermarkets have to carry a certain amount of the can on this as well. (Yup, pun intentional, I'll get me coat :whistle: )

Barring the odd can of pineapple chunks (in juice) to make sweet & sour sauce, I don't tend to buy tinned fruit, so it's not something I'd notice. :blush:

As already stated if people have eating issues then no amount of tax will address the problem, it might however reduce the amount of obese kids about due to what their parents feed them.

That's the real crime as far as I'm concerned.
I do agree. I remember cringing a couple of years ago on a visit to Dudley Zoo. There was a large woman pushing her toddler past one of the enclosures in a buggy. The toddler, who can’t have been more than two, had its own quarter pounder and a tray of chips. You could probably categorise that as a form of child abuse

winjim

Smash the cistern
The other issue is one of the NHS's ability to determine obestity. Every time I fill out a form I come out as grossly obese, yet every time a medico actually lays eyes upon me they invatiably apologise and confirm that I am most definitely anything but. They rely on a seriously outdated, grossly inaccurate, incredibly inappropriate method for determining who is obese.
Recent lecture slides would tend to suggest that NHS nutrition consultants and dieticians are well aware of the limitations of the technique. In fact BMI is actually a more useful tool for determining underweight rather than overweight status.

There are some support things available.
I have been referred to one for Pre diabetes based on my age/BMI and a blood test. Unfortunately the pandemic got in the way - but it does exist.
I eventually agreed to try a remote version but it didn;t really work for me - too much stuff I already know plus a lot of people discussing doing things I have done for years!
A similar thing in person may help me more
but the other people on the course did seem to think it was a positive thing.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
There are some support things available.
I have been referred to one for Pre diabetes based on my age/BMI and a blood test. Unfortunately the pandemic got in the way - but it does exist.
I eventually agreed to try a remote version but it didn;t really work for me - too much stuff I already know plus a lot of people discussing doing things I have done for years!
A similar thing in person may help me more
but the other people on the course did seem to think it was a positive thing.

Yes, ditto. It is many years ago now, but, after a heart attack (which I clearly survived ;) ) I was given the option to attend several sessions on exercise and diet. Indeed, it was via that route that I returned to cycling after many years absence. ;)

One of my daughters has recently been diagnosed as "pre-diabetic" and, has been attending sessions to deal with it (successfully).

One of my Sisters-in-law recently ceased diabetic medication (met.. something or other), after NHS inspired exercise sessions.

D

Deleted member 26715

I am no expert, but, I think you will find there are NHS Services available (perhaps, not in your immediate area). There are such services available in Sunderland, Tyne-Wear.
All they did in this area was pay for 3 months subscription to Slimmers World, Sorry but that's not real help, that smacks of some box ticking process.

Top Bottom