Observations of a one-off motorist

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Origamist

Legendary Member
gaz said:
i went to uni there.

I don't see many students on bikes in Plymouth, then again, I don't see many commuting cyclists in Plymouth and its environs either. It reminds me how shoot cycling take-up is once you get away from established cycling cities.

D

Deleted member 1258

Origamist said:
I don't see many students on bikes in Plymouth, then again, I don't see many commuting cyclists in Plymouth and its environs either. It reminds me how shoot cycling take-up is once you get away from established cycling cities.

Its the same in Coventry, I see very few fellow cyclist as I ride round.

Origamist

Legendary Member
dave r said:
Its the same in Coventry, I see very few fellow cyclist as I ride round.

I don't think post-war reconstruction did much to foster cycling in either city.

I used to cycle from Binley to Cov a few years back and saw very few cyclists on that route.

thomas said:
Road users need to be courteous to those trying to cross the road. I'd rather we had more of a Vietnam style system where you could cross nearly anywhere, safely and quickly. Just keep a pace and keep walking and everyone on the road will either go in front or behind of you. You could shut your eyes and be fine (until you tripped over the 1 foot kerb on the other side ;))

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9VJuqKkMRU

No I think the attitude is different with peds and people in general in places like Thailand/Japan and Gran Canaria where I have cycled.I had absolutely no problem with peds and even motons out there.

Went to head office for training yesterday. It's amazing how frustrating a day off the bike can be. I found myself looking enviously at a guy cycling, head down into W Yorks sleet, on the dual carriageway.

I cannot imagine why people drive to work.

al78

Guru
johnr said:
I cannot imagine why people drive to work.

For me personally it is because I have a 19 mile round trip with a fair bit of climbing and doing that every working day plus other local utility trips plus Sunday club rides wears me out (it is a struggle even without the Sunday club rides). If I could recover properly overnight then I wouldn't need a car.

Jezston

Über Member
Andy 71 said:
:laugh: Why don't people car share? Conclusion: A degree of selfishness. I can understand personal security concerns, but if there is someone you know/trust who does exactly the same route, it makes perfect sense to share costs and driving. But why don't people do it? Because if Person A doesn't keep exactly the same hours as Person B, that creates a problem - people nowadays want to come and go as they, and only they, please and shy away from entering into sharing agreements for fear of falling out with someone.

I used to have some friends from work who all lived in a house together. Each of them had their own car.

They all used to drive in to work separately.

And there was a bus stop at the end of their road that took them straight to work, only taking about 10 mins longer than driving.

Don't get it.

Top Bottom