Observations of a one-off motorist

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
A

Andy 71

swee said:
Yes, and if that sound doesn't come from a 4 or 6 cylinder car engine, i.e a small 2-stroke or human power, people sometimes just don't seem to pay any attention.

Personally, I wouldn't want to make bikes any noisier. People just need to be more observant when crossing the road.

Andy 71 said:
It's not a case of cyclists being so smug - I myself drive a car.

I would simply argue that there are few things that need addressing, but that the 'to-do list for car/van drivers is slightly larger than for other kinds of road users.

Cycling doesn't give me any moral high ground, its my personal choice after all - it just seems to make a lot more sense to me, and I think society would benefit if more people chose that mode of transport.

I run an organisation that promotes cycling across the UK.

You'd be suprised how many times we hear that cyclists are considered smug.

And the way you have written on this thread comes across to me as being so, too.

Sorry, but that's how I see it in my line of work and no one is more in to cycling than me..

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Rhythm Thief said:
I can't understand why people don't like driving. I love it.

Me too, although I loved it a LOT more out in Africa where there was far more space, empty roads, and beautiful views to enjoy. It's not very much fun in endless traffic queues in London.

OP
OP
A

Andy 71

Hilldodger said:
I run an organisation that promotes cycling across the UK.

You'd be suprised how many times we hear that cyclists are considered smug.

And the way you have written on this thread comes across to me as being so, too.

Sorry, but that's how I see it in my line of work and no one is more in to cycling than me..

"You'd be suprised how many times we hear that cyclists are considered smug."

OK you're being told this, but what evidence have they offered suggesting this is more than anecdotal?? I would ask them to define 'smug', or demonstrate how the cyclists they met expressed their 'smugness'. Surely that's a bit subjective, when compared to objective judgements based on fact such as 'I notice a lot of cyclists jump red lights, cycle on pavements..' etc??

The sort of cyclists I mix with view cycling in terms of convenience and health and cost benefits, not that they somehow personally are going to hault global warming.

Forgive me, but couldn't a statement such as 'no one is more in to cycling than me; be as interpreted as a little 'smug' in itself??

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
BentMikey said:
Me too, although I loved it a LOT more out in Africa where there was far more space, empty roads, and beautiful views to enjoy. It's not very much fun in endless traffic queues in London.
I loved driving into dartmoor when i lived in plymouth. so much fun darting around in the open country!

but as you say, london is so meh!

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
It's perfectly natural for cyclists to be happy about the advantages of cycling. The fact that some poorer drivers then see this as being smug is more an indication of some basic insecurity on the drivers' part.

thomas

the tank engine
Andy 71 said:
Personally, I wouldn't want to make bikes any noisier. People just need to be more observant when crossing the road.

Road users need to be courteous to those trying to cross the road. I'd rather we had more of a Vietnam style system where you could cross nearly anywhere, safely and quickly. Just keep a pace and keep walking and everyone on the road will either go in front or behind of you. You could shut your eyes and be fine (until you tripped over the 1 foot kerb on the other side :smile:)

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9VJuqKkMRU

Andy 71 said:
Forgive me, but couldn't a statement such as 'no one is more in to cycling than me; be as interpreted as a little 'smug' in itself??

No, it's a fact. I've spent 10 years earning sod all setting up a community cycling project. You don't do that without being dedicated to cycling.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
LOL, just as it's a "fact" that bikes are sometimes far better than cars.

OP
OP
A

Andy 71

thomas said:
Road users need to be courteous to those trying to cross the road. I'd rather we had more of a Vietnam style system where you could cross nearly anywhere, safely and quickly. Just keep a pace and keep walking and everyone on the road will either go in front or behind of you. You could shut your eyes and be fine (until you tripped over the 1 foot kerb on the other side :smile:)

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9VJuqKkMRU

I think it's a bit of both. My gripe yesterday was not about whether or not I had any sort of priority (the roads are for sharing, right??), but the dangerous practice of not looking and stepping out at short notice - vehicles of all kind need time to react. It's my responsibility as a road user to slow (or even stop) for hazards, but I don't have ESP or eyes in the back of my head. It works both ways. Luckily, I knew the road near a tube station (and its inherent risks) well.

Origamist

Legendary Member
gaz said:
I loved driving cycling on dartmoor when i lived in plymouth. so much fun darting around in the open country!

Fixed that for you Gaz. You're not a Janner are you?

thomas

the tank engine
Andy 71 said:
I think it's a bit of both. My gripe yesterday was not about whether or not I had any sort of priority (the roads are for sharing, right??),

No, that's fair enough! I just think the roads would be easier to cross if road users sometimes just eased off for a moment (and I suppose have to flash as most people wouldn't realise). I think at times it isn't unfair if motorised traffic does have to slow for pedestrians, but less so for cyclists just due to getting momentum back up.

Top Bottom