Obstruction depiction, BIFO

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

geocycle

Legendary Member
Road closures seem to be more common. Most of the time they are a positive as you can squeeze through and enjoy traffic free roads, but every now and again there is a bridge down or similar. I recently wrote to CTC to suggest a campaign to get a scannable bar code put on signs so you can assess the odds better. Round here a really closed road can mean long detours and there is no central database I’m aware of.

Badger_Boom

Über Member
Luckily I ran into a local resident coming the other way and he saw I was looking at my phone to find a diversion (there wasn't one signed) and said that I could ignore it and carry on through.
Please beware of such local knowledge. We had a couple employees almost run over (some of their survey kit was) while working in a country road closure that a local decided was ‘pointless’.

Jameshow

Veteran
It's not a "my bike in front of" but I do have a candidate for the worst road closure obstruction that I saw on my Christmas Eve ride - a whole 1.3 miles of road was closed (I measured it on Strava afterwards) for something that blocked less than one lane for maybe 2-3 yards worth of bollards and cones.

View attachment 672865

Possibly would have been more sensible to have automated temporary traffic lights to let one lane through at a time, but Thames Water applied for a full road closure for over a week with multiple signs leading up to it in both directions telling people it was totally shut. Luckily I ran into a local resident coming the other way and he saw I was looking at my phone to find a diversion (there wasn't one signed) and said that I could ignore it and carry on through. At first I thought maybe it was one of those ones where cyclists and walkers could get by (maybe I'd have to dismount) but when I came to it I had to laugh as there was still one and a bit lanes available.

View attachment 672867

The closure was the whole stretch of red above, with the actual bollards being where the circular marker is (I took the photo looking backwards once I'd gone past it).

Why do you need a closure or traffic lights have people got no common sense?!

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Am I alone in often enjoying a "closed" Road?

I can only remember one in recent years that was truly closed to pedestrians ( and people pushing a pram or bike) and I've quite often had a mile or two of traffic free riding.

I love a closed road. I can quickly become a pedestrian if anyone gets eggy with me. I did find one that said ‘Road Closed’ and they meant it, near Loddon in Norfolk. There was Heras fencing everywhere and I had to hoof it up the side of a field, hop a ditch and cross a main road. I did get by and then giggled to myself up the mile long diversion to the back way in to Loddon and Rosy Lee’s cake shop.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I didn't have my bike with me this evening, but here is one that I encountered at Luddenden village, near Halifax...

Road closed Luddenden.jpg

West Yorkshire wimps... After a collapsed retaining wall dumps someone's back garden in the road the authorities overreact and close the road! :whistle:

All uphill

Still rolling along
Back in July 2022 I cycled past the usual 'road closed' sign to find this:

20220722_121156.jpg

It seems I can hold my breath, take a photo and cycle all at the same time.

Last edited:
Top Bottom