Octalink

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

davidphilips

Veteran
Any one else found that Octalink bottom brackets for road bikes are not only expensive but hard to find some sizes? Have experimented with using MTB Octalink and found out they can be used on road bikes but once the groves on the chain set have been filled (drilled) out then MTB octalink is the only one that can then be used.
Always on the look out for second hand dura ace BBs as they are serviceable and have roller bearings but they seem to be like hens teeth now?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I thought the Octalink has little to commend it and is more or less a dead end as far as developments go and has been abandoned by Shimano in favour of Hollowtech.

JohnHughes307

Über Member
Having swapped the original Octalink on my Spesh Allez for Hollowtech Tiagra, I would never go back - feels so much smoother and more solid, despite the Octalink BB being almost new!

Drago

Legendary Member
I quite liked Octalink - the cheaper BBs were a bit poop and the smaller bearings (relative to square taper) didn't last, but the better quality ones were robust, the crank interface stiff, and the bearings were inboard where they belong...out of the sheet.

But I'mvery much in a minority. They were never a big seller and are relatively unloved. As a result few manufacturers now cater for a market that wasn't all that great when it was in its prime.

OP
OP
davidphilips

davidphilips

Veteran
I quite liked Octalink - the cheaper BBs were a bit poop and the smaller bearings (relative to square taper) didn't last, but the better quality ones were robust, the crank interface stiff, and the bearings were inboard where they belong...out of the sheet.

But I'mvery much in a minority. They were never a big seller and are relatively unloved. As a result few manufacturers now cater for a market that wasn't all that great when it was in its prime.

Really like them myself, still have a Octalink Dura ace bottom bracket in a bike that i used for commuting for about 15 years, put thousands of miles every year on it, it has 2 sets of roller bearings plus 2 small sets of ball bearings for end float and all i done repack is with grease once a year a very quick and easy job and have never known a better system (in my view) its light spins great and stiff.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Really like them myself, still have a Octalink Dura ace bottom bracket in a bike that i used for commuting for about 15 years, put thousands of miles every year on it, it has 2 sets of roller bearings plus 2 small sets of ball bearings for end float and all i done repack is with grease once a year a very quick and easy job and have never known a better system (in my view) its light spins great and stiff.

It is Dura Ace. I have a 25 year old Dura Ace square taper sealed cartridge that's never been touched, same goes for the Ultegra one.

I've worn out a few lower level cartridge BB's though - usually get a little play. Octalink was soon replaced, so the market small.

Somewhat to my surprise my 2016 model Ridgeback Expedition came with Octalink.

Would have prefferred square taper but at least it's not external bearings.

Have never had great trouble with Octalink - my old dale had it.

I now favour square taper though - the Expedition bike may get converted in time.

Ditto the Hewitt which is actually external bearing.

I kitted out my touring bike when LX was at octalink. Not my favourite system and it was clearly a stepping stone to something else. I would rather use a well made sq taper. The crank tool seems to need a supply of 5p coins.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Or benefitted from having the bearings shielded from the front wheel. It's down to perspective and preference.
But they are no more shielded than external bearings. The only place water can get in is through the seals on the axle which is subject to the same spray off the front wheel on either system. It does not matter how far the body of the bearing protrudes from the bottom bracket.

Having said that, my preferred system is square taper. Good quality bearings (UN55, Centaur) last for ages and fitting is a doddle.

silva

Über Member
I rode 10 years with octalink - didn't know didn't care - since it just worked without trouble, something I cannot say from square taper. It's not a good versus bad just a better versus good and my point of view has a singlespeed bias.
I asked to replace the current square taper on my last bicycle to octalink. Because I suffered crank failures that I didn't suffer on the octalink equipped bike and smthg around the bottom bracket is offcenter, I suspect the square taper as cause, and future will deliver proof (ie chain tension variation disappeared).

Last edited:
Interesting positive take on octalink. Encouraging. But am puzzled as to what your square taper issue was. Did you check/retighten the cranks after a bit of riding? Good practice I think.

Top Bottom