FNRttC October 6, 2017 - London to Brighton

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tim Hall

I had one of those, then I went to a cycle show and the people on the Surly stand were flogging off their small part exhibits half-price for beer money. I now have one of these
View attachment 377517
Presumably the hooky thing is to open bottles of "Craft" <spit> beer. Or is it to manoeuver your ramekin of baked beans closer?

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
But doesn't the dog fang stop the chain winding off the granny ring.

Surely the thing you need for rear cassette chain woes is : -
a) A properly adjusted stop screw, and
b) One of those nifty tools which allows you to undo the cassette lock ring.
Or c) a hub that simply pulls apart without tools ;-)

robjh

Legendary Member
Another very enjoyable Fridays ride. Many thanks to @User, who appeared to slip effortlessly into the mantle of ride leader, and to the TECs and other supporting cast. It was a friendly crowd including the numerous newbies, who seemed to be enjoying themselves. There's a lot of darkness at this time of year, but the Sussex lanes were a joy to ride down, and the Devil's Dyke variant was a most welcome innovation, with sweeping views that inspired even in the drizzly murk that had descended by that time of the morning.
After breakfast at the 'spoons I set out for a ride back towards the smoke with @rb58 and @sagefly, and we followed the busy A23 on a mix of cycle paths and offcuts of old road back to Crawley. It's rather bitty, and none too flat, but still a good practical route and we made as good progress as could be expected from tired all-night legs. Ross left us for the train at Three Bridges, but Greg and I decided to go the whole hog, and so we jumped onto the main A23 itself, on what I will always think of as the @ianrauk option, and put on a few good miles. Our ways parted at Tooting Broadway, whence I followed CS7 up the A24. I had a train to catch from Kings Cross, and finished with 7 miles home in more rain, and after a shower, quick nap and dinner I feel much better.
Looking forward to many more fun Fridays next year.

The SMRbtL boys live it up on a refreshment stop in Redhill
20171007  Brighton ride, Redhill coffee stop (2)C.JPG

robjh

Legendary Member
And some people think riding your bike at all is mental....
I fear that may include the two young Twat Brothers that @sagefly and I encountered in Wallington on Saturday morning, who wound down their window and screamed at us with faces contorted with fury, before braking in front of us and starting to reverse. Happily they thought better of it and we saw no more of them, but little things like that do make a ride memorable.
That notwithstanding, a bloody good ride though :smile:

Last edited:

mmmmartin

Random geezer
But doesn't the dog fang stop the chain winding off the granny ring.
Yes, sorry, my wrong. But I do posses a NBT2 and take it on trips even when I am on the Rohloff in case someone else needs it.
It is capable of opening all sorts of beer. Being American, it can even manage Bud Lite, I imagine.
Not sure I could though. GYP IMHO.
two young Twat Brothers......Happily they thought better of it
Yes, I can see that being beaten to a pulp by @sagefly would have put a real downer on their evening out

robjh

Legendary Member
Yes, I can see that being beaten to a pulp by @sagefly would have put a real downer on their evening out
Small point of clarification*, this was on the way back in the rather mad Saturday daytime traffic, not the night ride. That was really quite serene, and even the occasional drunk that spoke to us seemed friendly (cf the car at the top of Portnalls Hill).

*original post now edited to remove ambiguity

Last edited:

sagefly

Veteran
They seating was comfortable and the impromptu elevenses inspired by Rob was just that inspired!

The Wallington twats would have been interesting, great night and very mild weather. Remarkable in the very few TEC incidents, a rear derailleur adjustment and a single puncture on the run in to Bright Helm, not counting Hull Marks deflations..... He didnt need TEC support, showing off really.

High five to Adrian for stepping up to the plate, job well done. To the lady who got up the Dyke no stop, great achievement and a big confidence boost, you can do any climb!!

Thank for the company of Ross, Nigel Adam and Rob at the back and to the waymarkers too many to list.

To Ross and Rob for the company on the SMRBtH. Hope knee is a simple fix Ross.

See you all for the Christmas ride.

Last edited:

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
They seating was comfortable and the impromptu elevenses inspired by Rob was just that inspired!

The Wallington twats would have been interesting, great night and very mild weather. Remarkable in the very TEC incidents, a rear derailleur adjustment and a single puncture on the run in to Bright Helm, not counting Hull Marks deflations..... He didnt need TEC support, showing off really.

High five to Adrian for stepping up to the plate, job well done. To the lady who got up the Dyke no stop, great achievement and a big confidence boost, you can do any climb!!

Thank for the company of Ross, Nigel Adam and Rob at the back and to the waymarkers too many to list.

To Ross and Rob for the company on the SMRBtH. Hope knee is a simple fix Ross.

See you all for the Christmas ride.
Mike, not Mark....;)

mikeee

First foray darn sarf for one of these this year and it didn’t disappoint.
Nigh on perfect conditions for the time of year and little incident on route.
Great organisation and support as usual, many thanks to all.
But it’s the people that make these rides. An elect mix of age, ability and experience. And bicycle too of course.
But all with a common goal of making it to Brighton and enjoying the ride.
Couldn’t believe the number of people enjoying their first night ride, hopefully not the last?
And a special mention to the lady who conquered the Dyke!!!
On a sub note: my substantial wrench came in for some flack but having done these rides before through some of the more “colourful” environs of the London suburbs in the early hours, I feel it had its place!!!

Top Bottom