Odd ball bikes ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

midlife

Guru
The Flying Gate (a disparaging nickname which Baines, the original makers, hated) must be one of the ugliest frames ever designed, but a friend says his is a dream to ride (though his is made by Trevor Jarvis, who revived the design).

But the Gate was not designed especially for time-trials, unlike the lo-pros featured in the first post.

Yep, the Baines was often called the "birdcage" and was quite beloved by tourers...

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I think this thread proves that there have always been some rather weird and ugly looking designs out there at the margins, but mercifully the vast majority of riders opted for conventional and much more aesthetically pleasing, triangulated frames.
The oddball ones look like a lot of pain for very little gain, and some of them must have been heavier than a standard frame because of the extra tubes. The fact that these designs died a death seems to suggest that the extra 1/4" wheelbase reduction they probably offered wasn't worth having an extra couple of feet of steel tube to propel around.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Condor still offer a Paris Galibier-style frame. Curly Hetchins are sought-after to the extent that there have been numerous different builders copying them, officially and unofficially (and at least one court case resulting).

Many of the odd designs were to promote brand-recognition in the days when amateur riders were allowed no advertising, not even on their bikes.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Maybe a little off topic but here is a link to a drop box with my other pictures from the show including a rather unique Hetchins https://www.dropbox.com/sh/el5b2hn3d2t4v2o/AACGitkq-cr6jhL00Tmfp8M6a?dl=0
some nice bikes for sure

I don’t I am afraid if I go again when it is on I will try to find out

Hope you dont mind i posted a pic of the Ian May on my In Appreciation Of Merseyside Bikes face book page and when of the regulars reckons it might well have been one he used himself at one stage

Nibor

Bewildered
Hope you dont mind i posted a pic of the Ian May on my In Appreciation Of Merseyside Bikes face book page and when of the regulars reckons it might well have been one he used himself at one stage

Not in the slightest feel free to use the pictures however you wish.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
The bikes in the OP were a common sight in time trials in the late eighties and early nineties.

If you want "Odd", try this -

375329_10150486075498035_224451888034_10590653_1857294450_n.jpg

Top Bottom