Odd ball bikes ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
And then along came Jim Felt in the nineties, and BOOM! He redesigned TT bikes, having made a few for friends that proved outrageously successful, and the rest is history.

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
It would seem that they both have an odd mix of Shimano 600 tricolour, Shimano 105 Stronglight, and Campagnolo . And l am guessing that time trialists are big blokes because these bikes are much to big for me :sad:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I've always thought of dedicated TT bikes as weird looking machines of little practical value - they certainly don't appeal to me to ride, although I wouldn't turn one down as a parts donor if it was cheap enough and had what I was looking for on it. I have a very simple rule of thumb regarding road bikes; if the top tube isn't both straight and perfectly horizontal, it's just plain wrong.

Nibor

Bewildered
I spotted a couple of weird short wheelbase bikes at a local vintage bike show.
DSCF1489.JPG
DSCF1475.JPG

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
They're horrid! I suppose you get less wheelslip when climbing a greasy 1 in 4 hill but these bikes weren't designed for that anyway.

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
They're horrid! I suppose you get less wheelslip when climbing a greasy 1 in 4 hill but these bikes weren't designed for that anyway.
Ooh a bit harsh ! but l must admit that aesthetically they do nothing for me. If anything they just look a bit "overthought" especially the orange one.

It would seem that they both have an odd mix of Shimano 600 tricolour, Shimano 105 Stronglight, and Campagnolo . And l am guessing that time trialists are big blokes because these bikes are much to big for me :sad:

Not sure that the spec would make then useful donor bikes at that kind of money.

That said I do like the late 80ies early 90ies approach: shimano for the stuff that really makes a difference: rear mech and brakes, and then a mix of what you fancy/ can afford for the rest:okay:

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
The top twin tubed Ian May reminds me of the old Saxton jobbies

View attachment 434609

The lower is a Trevor Jarvis "flying gate". In my era it was the MKM Ultimate ... Have a look at where the seat tube joins the downtube.

View attachment 434610
I love that bike and that is a very elegant way to shorten the wheelbase. I can only imagine how twitchy the handling is at slow speed. Look how far in front of the hub the brake hoods are, exciting ....l want one ^_^

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Ooh a bit harsh ! but l must admit that aesthetically they do nothing for me. If anything they just look a bit "overthought" especially the orange one.

The Flying Gate (a disparaging nickname which Baines, the original makers, hated) must be one of the ugliest frames ever designed, but a friend says his is a dream to ride (though his is made by Trevor Jarvis, who revived the design).

But the Gate was not designed especially for time-trials, unlike the lo-pros featured in the first post.

Top Bottom