Odd factoids

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
There is a town in Romania called Turd.
Town in County Meath, Ireland
Garda.jpg

Drago

Legendary Member
Hitler banned sausages from the Third Reich, which was a blow for the knockwurst loving Hun. The reasons for the Fuhrer order are unclear, but it is speculated that Eva Braun had an affair with the guy that runs the butchers shop.

bruce1530

Guru
In Scotland, “sausage” generally refers to “flat sausage”, “slice sausage” or “Lorne sausage” - different names used in different regions for the same thing.

Traditional “link” sausages are less common, but are no longer illegal.

classic33

Leg End Member
Sausage Duel
A man brandishing his sausage like a weapon is normally just looking for trouble, but in the case of Rudolf Virchow, using his sausage in a threatening manner may actually have saved his life when he was about to be killed in a duel. But let’s backtrack a little to explain.

In frustration, Bismarck challenged Virchow to a duel. This was not good news for Virchow. Bismark was an excellent shot and Virchow’s knowledge of pistols was shaky at best—he was surely a dead man. But Virchow wasn’t finished yet. He had intelligence…and sausages!

Details are sketchy, but several biographies relate that Virchow, being the challenged party, was entitled to choose the weapons for the duel, and chose sausages as his weapon of choice.

One sausage was normal and the other, though appearing identical, was loaded with deadly Trichinella larvae. Bismarck was to choose a sausage and eat it and Virchow would eat the remaining sausage. With his cunning sausage strategy, Virchow had improved his survival chances to an even 50 percent. Bismarck, perhaps reluctantly, withdrew his challenge and Virchow’s sausage saved his life.

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
It's possible to eat a 14", 1lb Cumberland Sausage weighing just over 1lb, in 14 seconds.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Blue Hills
As it was @Blue Hills that started all this.....can he use his immense authority to insist that all posts should seem at least vaguely or possibly true. Not a lot....just a teensy weensy bit.
Well I did start the thread, yes.
I have long since not followed this thread (wouldn't have spotted your post if you hadn't paged me) as although there is a certain wit in many of the posts, as I think I said upthread many moons ago I find true surprising stuff way way more interesting. Which was why I started it.

But I don't of course own the thread or have any authority.

Let it go its own way if it will and I'll go somewhere else for interesting stuff.

Maybe you could start another one? If it stays on topic (the rich wonderland of true oddity) I may pop into it.

all the best

sooty

Top Bottom