Odd factoids

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
The first camel in Australia was called Harry.
Surely not - I heard it was Bruce.

machew

Veteran
Mushrooms and toadstools are technically/scientifically the same thing.
The name 'toadstool' is just used for the inedible ones. The name was first used around the 14th century by people who believed that toads actually did sit on them and as toads were viewed as nasty 'orrible warty things.......then that was what made the toad-stool poisonous.

All mushrooms are edible, but some only once in a lifetime

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Radar was the key technology to win the Battle of Britain against the Nazis. To protect their secret weapon, British Intelligence invented a propaganda campaign that claimed their pilots could see in the dark because they ate a lot of carrots.

Following the war, the manufacturers of radar invented the key for disabled toilets.

classic33

Leg End Member
You say ‘eh’ whenever you don’t understand something.

Short, sweet but extremely effective, in Yorkshire uttering these two letters is the best way of signifying your absolute confusion.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Carrots and potatoes were originally developed by allotment keepers purely for the skin for making compost. They would peel them and throw the inside rubbish away or feed it to pigs.
It was much later that a poor Lancashire peasant called @Accy cyclist was forced to eat one and the cry was heard "ey up lads...them there carroty thingies were right good nosh"

Last edited:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Carrots and potatoes were originally developed by allotment keepers purely for the skin for making compost. They would peel them and throw the inside rubbish away or feed it to pigs.
It was much later that a poor Yorkshire peasant called @Accy cyclist was forced to eat one and the cry was heard "ey up lads...them there carroty thingies were right good nosh"
:ohmy: Heck! I've never been accused before of coming from Yorkshire in my life!:unsure:

Last edited:
Top Bottom