Odd factoids

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
When I started my penny farthing in full top hat and tails cycling days, I also worked on the iron road.
There is a little known track bed defect, which affects only certain wagons/coaches possessing a certain length between bogies. The defect is known as ‘cyclic top’, and can induce a derailment.
Cycling in a top hat is not as easy as it sounds, especially when needing to clear ones nose, of similar, though totally unrelated bogies.
There’s an even stranger link here, the similarity between Stephenson’s first coal fired wheeled boiler, and the ejection of effort via the nose, when running or cycling - both possesses the word ‘rocket’, which is also a leafy lettuce type thing, which also brought my penny farthing cycling days to an early demise, following a skid on the very same same leaf.

bruce1530

Guru
The Falkland Islands are named after Peter Falk, who invented “Columbo”.

Drago

Legendary Member
The capital if the Falklands was originally Columbo, until the main island was sold to Sri Lanka and floated away to the Indian ocean to spite Argentina.

The town of Randal and Hopkirk (deceased) was considered as the new capital, but when Stan Laurel moved to th nislands and founded his own town that was ultimately adopted. The residents of T.J.Hooker were kost aggrieved.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
There are actually two towns named after Stan Laurel on the Falkland Islands.

Port Stanley is on the left hand bank of the river Laurel. Starboard Stanley is on the right bank.

Both Laurel *and* Hardy were named after plants, Hardy being shortened from the original "Oliver Hardy-Annual".

They were originally a threesome with the famous comedienne Salvia Plath, whose later, darker work is now better regarded than her earlier physical humour.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Stanley the knife was an East End criminal who was known for his flower arranging.

Tribansman

Veteran
Accrington Stanley introduced a bacon and tripe pie to its matchday pie stable in the 2018/19 season. It was so popular with fans that the club's mascot was renamed Kevin in its honour

Top Bottom