Odd place names.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Durian

Über Member
There's a place called Eglwyswrw near me. Try saying that after six pints.

One day I am going to write a novel where the characters are all English place names. So far I have Cherry Burton, Cherry Hinton and Mavis Enderby. I'm sure there are more, but it's late.

I would think it's easier to pronounce that after six pints!

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I would think it's easier to pronounce that after six pints!
I don't think so..
It translates as "The church of St. Mary in the hollow of white hazel trees near the rapid whirlpool by St. Tysilio's of the red cave".

RichardB

Slightly retro
I don't think so..
It translates as "The church of St. Mary in the hollow of white hazel trees near the rapid whirlpool by St. Tysilio's of the red cave".
I think he meant Eglwyswrw in this case. Actually it's not too hard for an English speaker, remembering that Welsh does not have many silent letters and it is usually pronounced as you see it. In this case, egl-wees-ooroo. Six pints and you can dribble that quite convincingly.

subaqua

What’s the point
I think he meant Eglwyswrw in this case. Actually it's not too hard for an English speaker, remembering that Welsh does not have many silent letters and it is usually pronounced as you see it. In this case, egl-wees-ooroo. Six pints and you can dribble that quite convincingly.
Eg - loo - ees (iss) bracket is different dialect as south mid and north are all slightly different but not incorrect !

PeteXXX

Sorry, I quoted the wrong post <doh>

PeteXXX

Wasn't that one just made up by the tourist board or the railway company or something?
I don't think so..
It translates as "The church of St. Mary in the hollow of white hazel trees near the rapid whirlpool by St. Tysilio's of the red cave"

RichardB

Slightly retro
Wasn't that one just made up by the tourist board or the railway company or something?
True story: when I was at Uni in Bangor, some friends and I shared a farmhouse on Anglesey, near the village of Llanddaniel Fab, and Llanfair PG was the closest bus stop to get onto the mainland. One winter evening, for a laugh, six of us queued up in Bangor waiting for the bus home. The first one got on:
"May I have a single ticket to Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch, please?"
And the next:
"May I also have a single ticket to Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch, please?"
And so on for the rest of us.
The bus driver just said "bloody stiwdents" and the people on the bus sighed in resignation.
Fun, it was.

RichardB

Slightly retro
I don't think so..
It translates as "The church of St. Mary in the hollow of white hazel trees near the rapid whirlpool by St. Tysilio's of the red cave"
Pretty sure it was Llanfairpwllgwyngyll up to Victorian times, and the long name came with the arrival of the railway. If you've been there, you'll know there's not a lot else to see, and perhaps a record-breaking station name was a stunt to bring the punters in. But yes, I think it's pretty much a made-up thing.

RichardB

Slightly retro
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Llanfairpwllgwyngyll Still a sight more than what, say, Normal has to offer. Britannia Bridge, Lady Anglesey's Column, and the Isle of Anglesey. From what I've seen, it looks idyllic.
Of course, you can make Normal look pretty idyllic, too

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6dfUYKbtnI

From your link: "The long name was contrived in the 1860s to bestow upon the station the feature of having the longest name of any railway station in Britain, an early example of a publicity stunt" So there you have it.

I lived on Anglesey for two years. Pretty coastline, fairly dull interior, not a wealthy area. Pleasant, yes; idyllic, no.

Top Bottom