Odd place names.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
.... and its only a few miles from Pennsylvania* to New Zealand* .......
* South Glos and Wilts
There's a Bishop Auckland near Middlesborough, if it's any connection?

Plus, a Wakefield (my home city) in New Zealand, on the South Island

California and New Zealand are both in Derby.
There's a Wellington Plantation, to the east of Garforth (east Leeds, near Peckfield Bar; A63/A656 junction), that is in an area that is marked on old maps as New Zealand

I'm sure there's a California in West Yorkshire too, but for the life of me, I can't think where it is, at the moment

Egypt is in West Yorkshire and the Idle Working Men's Club, Bradford
Bet me to it, & there was (now demolished/collapsed), a 'Walls Of Jericho
Egypt is north-west of Bradford, twixt Denholme & Thornton
Plus a Worlds End
There's also a New Holland nearby
Footpath-to-Egypt-Thornton-village-Bronte-Country_opt.jpg

There's also an 'Idle Athletic Club'
The WMC used to do a line of souvenir t-shirts, with the guy leaning on his shovel

We've done Fartown in Huddersfield, and Slack Bottom, there's a place in Huddersfield called Solid. Laundry fanatics will get In a pickle about Stainland, near Barkisland. Nearer to @ColinJ there are two landmarks on the OS map, called Pissen Clough, and Shitten Clough. There's a Bolton Percy near York, which isn't as famous for gender reassignment as the name might suggest...
I've seen, or been to/through all of these

Land of green ginger in Hull, The land of nod East Yorkshire, Morley Bottoms (of Beryl Burton fame) Barley Mow County Durham, Triangle outside Sowerby Bridge.
East Yorkshire Scenes. Howden. Land Of Nod.JPG

Hyslop

Veteran
My local currently serves beer brewed in Great Heck,Yorkshire.

There's a Wellington Plantation, to the east of Garforth (east Leeds, near Peckfield Bar; A63/A656 junction), that is in an area that is marked on old maps as New Zealand

I'm sorry, I had my maps crossed

Wellington Plantation is where I stated, but, New Zealand is off Lotherton Lane, between Aberford, & Lotherton Hall
it's not marked on the present maps, even at 1/50,000, but is there on a 1954 edition

fimm

Veteran
If we are allowed foreign names, then there's a place called W,a,n,k (a mountain and a mountain hut) near Garmisch-Partenkirchen in southern Germany.

(Edited to stop it being renamed to Fiddle...)

Vikeonabike

CC Neighbourhood Police Constable
Surely there's a spelling mistake in DRIVE!

h1oqoeiy-jpg.111298.jpg
There is an official Sub Aqua Club here www.muffdivingclub.ie

Profpointy

Legendary Member
If we are allowed foreign names, then there's a place called W,a,n,k (a mountain and a mountain hut) near Garmisch-Partenkirchen in southern Germany.

(Edited to stop it being renamed to Fiddle...)

When Audi were running their ".... as we say in Germany" adverts, working for a German company we coined the term "it is vank as vee say in Germany" when described something not of the highest quality

Top Bottom