Odd shaped lorrys are to be banned in London unless they are made cyclist friendly

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
If London can do it why isnt it brought into force for the whole country ?

jayonabike

Powered by caffeine & whisky
Maybe they should ban cyclists who cycle up the left side of a lorry. I had one do it to me on friday night. I only saw the top of his helmet at the very last moment and slammed on the brakes. I wound the window down and told him how dangerous it is, he just stared at me, then cycled off, where 50 yards down the road he hopped on the pavement to avoid the traffic lights which had turned red

Brandane

Legendary Member
Errrm; according to that link, nothing much is going to change. Any lorry I have driven (and I don't drive anywhere near London) for about the last 5 years already has class V and VI mirrors (one above passenger door pointing down, one mounted above windscreen pointing down).
The only thing I can see that might be different is the "side guards to protect cyclists from being dragged under the wheels in the event of a collision", as I don't know what they have in mind. All lorries and trailers already have to be fitted with bars designed to stop cars going under them from the side.

More hot air and point scoring by a Politician.

Maybe they should ban cyclists who cycle up the left side of a lorry. I had one do it to me on friday night. I only saw the top of his helmet at the very last moment and slammed on the brakes. I wound the window down and told him how dangerous it is, he just stared at me, then cycled off, where 50 yards down the road he hopped on the pavement to avoid the traffic lights which had turned red

Which junction was it?

The Jogger

Legendary Member
When I first moved to London (1977) I'm sure HGV's were banned from the city during the day. I think that would be the answer to cyclist death prevention in the capital.

Nope, that's wrong too, at the moment, the EU Directive 2005/27/EC only requires vehicles registered after 2000 to be fitted with Class IV and V mirrors, and only vehicles over 7.5 tonnes registered after 2007 are required to be fitted with a Class VI mirror.

Exile

Maybe Boris should focus less on cyclist-unfriendly lorries and more on cyclist-unfriendly lorry drivers?

That might be an overly simplistic view, but a part of me can't help but think that even a wagon covered in electrified circular saws and wrapped in barbed wire would be safe around cyclists if the driver was careful and considerate. After all, you can't injure someone if you don't hit them.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
When I first moved to London (1977) I'm sure HGV's were banned from the city during the day. I think that would be the answer to cyclist death prevention in the capital.
I seem to remember that but the noise from them at night pissed everyone off so now they let them do what they want 24 hours a day :wacko:
Sign of the times I guess .

I had a driver have a go at me for this............ Muppet

There is a cycle lane that leads to lights and junction with an ASL

After ten years I know that if the Trafic is moving form the right it is safe to move into the ASL. If the traffic is moving from the main road on the left it is safe to move into the ASL

However once the traffic starts moving from the side road then the time is limited and tucking into the traffic is the safe bet

But to be called a suicidal ****head by a muppet who thinks that no-one must ever move past hos left side ever is unacceptable

An email and then video to the company asking why the driver was so unaware of the law and reality got a supportive response, so hopefully the driver now realises that:

1. There are times and places where this manoeuvre is safe
2. Where there is a cycle lane it is HIS responsibility to make sure it is clear before turning

Top Bottom