Odd Shifters?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nebulous

Guru
Hi folks - have any of you ever used odd (mismatched) shifters?

I have an allez elite with 9 gears. Long-term plan is a new bike, or 2 new bikes - a touring, commuting one and a fast road bike for time trials, sportives and leisure use.

Shorter-term view is to move the current bike to 10 speed, as cheaply as possible. The main drawback to that is the cost of the shifters. Cheapest I've seen has been 5600 105s for about £125. My left shifter seems to be playing up a bit in that the trim function doesn't work. It's no biggie, and it changes better than it has ever done since I put on a 105 front mech, but it still irks a bit. Meantime Merlin are selling a left hand 105 shifter for £36.

I'm considering buying it and changing one, with the hopes of picking up a similarly priced right one later. I appreciate it will look 'odd' but in some ways that has a certain appeal. I also know there is no reason why it won't work - but just wondering if anyone has ever done it?

James

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
IIRC Lance used to do something like this. His bike for mountain stages had an STI for the rear gear, but the front one was done with a down-tube lever, which was less convenient but lots lighter.

Top Bottom