Oddest thing found/seen lying in the road?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Great topic.

One of the most amusing things I have seen by the side of the road was on the A24 just south or Horsham.
I used the route when I was training for the Ironman so had to get lots of miles in. Early one Sunday I noticed a purple glittery vibrator by the side of the road, just in the verge, I passed that dildo several times during the summer and spent hours day dreaming as to how it may have ended up there.

Then one Sunday morning it was gone. I found this slightly disturbing.

If it has a motor in it, it's a vibrator, no motor and it's a dildo. Not to, uh split hairs. ;)

abo

Again, not on a bike, but a few years ago I was driving along the A66 with a mate in the car, when we got to the A19 junction at Middlesbrough there was a Reliant Robin parked up on the embankment broken down I guess, which we had a bit of a chuckle about.

The next day we were travelling along the same bit of road and there was the Robin, this time rolled onto it's side and the back window was broken. More chuckles.

Two days later we were headed that way again, same mate in the car. There was the Robin. This time it had been tipped onto it's roof, spun round and because it was still up the embankment we could see the engine was missing. Well, we started pissing ourselves laughing, luckily there was a layby just up past the junction, I had to pull over until the laughted subsided for our own (and others) safety.

Last week I came across a Transit tipper parked up on a bridge over a little back leading to the Tees, near an A19 underpass. There were a couple of blokes transferring some liquid from one container to another, dunno what was going on but needless I didn't stop and say hello...

Okay, what is an "Oyster card?" Is it like a prepaid debit card?

It's a London Transport card. Works as prepaid debit, it uses Mifare Classic RF technology but is currently being migrated to Mifare DESFire. The cards track ALL your movements on the system, and most cards are linked to your home address. I'd advise coughing up the extra and buying normal tickets with cash if you ever visit London. Not that we live in a police state.

Oyster is a prepaid/seasonal public transit ticked in London. Similar to NY metro card, but smart card based with auto topup etc.

Google "London Oyster" and learn.

It's not a ticket, really not. The card stores your last few journeys on the latter bytes, I believe it also uses a UID based password to make the encryption stronger.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/termsandconditions/12321.aspx#section-1

Oyster is a prepaid/seasonal public transit ticked in London. Similar to NY metro card, but smart card based with auto topup etc.

Google "London Oyster" and learn.

Okay, thank you. Here in St. Pete we have them as well, for a day's worth of unlimited rides, or a weeks worth of unlimited rides, or a months worth of unlimited rides. Sadly, to the best of my knowledge there isn't any option to reload them. You use it for the day/week/month and than buy a new one.

To me it would make more sense to make them more durable and reusable.

The weekly/monthly passes are good for 7 or 30 consecutive days. So if you buy a weekly pass on Monday it's good to next Monday. If you buy a monthly pass on a Monday, its good for 30 days from that date. And of course a daily pass is only good from midnight to midnight. Even though if I am not mistaken there are no buses that run at midnight. I think that for most routes they stop around 2300 - 2330hrs and start at again at around 0500 or 0600hrs.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I was out cycling late at night a few weeks ago and passed a couple of woman probably walking from the pub nearby. I heard one of them shout something at me, but I didn't really register it until a bit further down the road.

What they had shouted .....or at least, what I THINK they shouted was

'Hey, will you spank her?!'

I wish I had gone back to find out now! :biggrin:

Okay, thank you. Here in St. Pete we have them as well, for a day's worth of unlimited rides, or a weeks worth of unlimited rides, or a months worth of unlimited rides. Sadly, to the best of my knowledge there isn't any option to reload them. You use it for the day/week/month and than buy a new one.

To me it would make more sense to make them more durable and reusable.

The weekly/monthly passes are good for 7 or 30 consecutive days. So if you buy a weekly pass on Monday it's good to next Monday. If you buy a monthly pass on a Monday, its good for 30 days from that date. And of course a daily pass is only good from midnight to midnight. Even though if I am not mistaken there are no buses that run at midnight. I think that for most routes they stop around 2300 - 2330hrs and start at again at around 0500 or 0600hrs.

It's not that, we do that kind of thing, but it holds a value, it's definitely not a travel pass. For what it's worth travel passes are better but not as profitable.

screenman

Legendary Member
I hope all the things found were handed in to the police other wise of course it is theft. The bar certainly needed to go back to the garage concerned, mechanics do not earn a lot and the cost of quality tools is high. Sometimes a bit of leverage was required to remove the master cylinder from the servo, as there was often some corrosion in that area.

abo

I hope all the things found were handed in to the police other wise of course it is theft. The bar certainly needed to go back to the garage concerned, mechanics do not earn a lot and the cost of quality tools is high. Sometimes a bit of leverage was required to remove the master cylinder from the servo, as there was often some corrosion in that area.

Our usual family mechanic at the time didn't want to take the job on so it went to a main dealer. The car had to go back twice for rectification work and the bar was left in when it came back after it's third time in. I was 18, so I just kept the bar...

I used to think so, but take my guidance from Fight Club. Talking about a vibrator that has been turned on in luggage in transit and triggered a security alert: "always say 'the dildo' not 'your dildo'"

It's funny you should mention a vibrator getting turned on in one's luggage. Back (many, many, many (too many) moons ago) when I was in High School one of my female friends had a birthday and some of her friends gave her a vibrator as a gag. Well it fell out of her bags, rolled across the floor and turned on.

I was out cycling late at night a few weeks ago and passed a couple of woman probably walking from the pub nearby. I heard one of them shout something at me, but I didn't really register it until a bit further down the road.

What they had shouted .....or at least, what I THINK they shouted was

'Hey, will you spank her?!'

I wish I had gone back to find out now! :biggrin:

Yes, YES, you should have. An opportunity missed is an oppertunity lost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom