Oddest thing found/seen lying in the road?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Not on the bike, but in the car, I found a Norwegian at a bus stop in Hathersage a few years ago after a bout of heavy snowfall

He had been visiting friends in Manchester and travelling by bus to Sheffield and had decided to make it a day-long trip stopping off at a few picturesque villages along the way. When the snow started to fall, he wasn't worried as it was only a bit of snow

When I picked him up at about 7pm, having gone for a scenic detour home from work whilst everyone else was panicking and dumping their cars in town, he was very puzzled as to the lack of buses and why they had not simply fitted snow chains and continued running

He was probably lucky I'd taken the detour as apart from a few trucks from Hope Cementy Works, I was about the only vehicle on the road, and it was starting to get a bit tricky on tight bends uphill to keep momentum without spinning out

Bman

Guru

Cringles

Not odd or strange. But today I ploughed through the remains of a cat...or maybe a rabbit, or possibly a graboid.

I've never been so glad to have mudguards.

asterix

Comrade Member
He was probably lucky I'd taken the detour as apart from a few trucks from Hope Cementy Works, I was about the only vehicle on the road, and it was starting to get a bit tricky on tight bends uphill to keep momentum without spinning out

That would have been tricky with a Norwegian on the back. You must be fit!

astrocan

Veteran
I once found a MASSIVE adjustable spanner which I thought "That will be usefull" but it hung around for about 6 years until I realised it wasn't.

Many years ago I found a large tub of Walkers Salt and Vinegar crisp flavouring, no crisps just a barrel of white powder. If I had been a bit older and/or less naieve I could have made something of that.

On a FNRttC ride to Whitstable there was a bra and a mattress. No idea if there was any connection, and don't really want to know.

sabian92

Über Member
Great thred!

Further oddities: a pair of pink lacy knickers... fluttering in the breeze 20 ft up a tree at the side of a cyclepath. Someone had an interesting night out. And a pair of black ladies stockings (only) on the platform of Frodsham railway station.

Found a bunch of masonry drill bits scattered over the road once along with the box they lived in, think someone must have taken a bend too fast. I did think of keeping them but they were massive, at least 25mm thick and half a metre long, way too big for our little drills. So I piled them back into the box and left it there and the box and its cotents had gone by the next morning.

Have sometimes seen drunks asleep in the park when I cycle to work early. It's one of the signs of summer in Preston!

I've spent a lot of time at Frodsham station and it does get very quiet at night... I can only imagine how they came to be on the platform!

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
3 badgers, all lying end to end next to a rural road
a dead deer, of some sort, again next to a rural road (not at the same time or place as the badgers)
and only last week a load of fly-tipped rubbish... there was a bloke going through it, I looked at him and his white van, slowed down a bit ready to say "Oi, you fly-tipping ne'erdowell..." but he looked at me as if to say "I didn't do it, honest, I'm just having a look to see if there's anything I could use, and I promise to report it to the council"... amazing what can be communicated non-verbally
smile.gif
unless he was telling me fibs with his eyes...
smile.gif

Attachments

• smile.gif
    smile.gif
    262 bytes · Views: 51

Brommie77

Over the last few days at work some little scatterings of nails that are spread in such a way that I am certain some little gits have placed with the sole intention of causing punctures to cars and bikes :angry: :angry:

The bar end cap that I thought I'd lost the other day :thumbsup:

screenman

Legendary Member
Cycling related in a way, I was out at work and the wife phoned to say she had been digging around the garden and decided to have a go with the metal detector. On the phone she told me she had found an old bike lamp, 9 or 10 inches long 3 inches wide and looked like a bomb. Yep we needed the bomb disposal squad around, turned out they think it had dropped out of a Lancaster during the war, they used to fly from an airbase just outside of the village.

Not the brightest spark, the wife that is but I suppose that is a good thing with explosive materials around.

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Never seen anything of interest by the side of the road, barring the odd over inflated Badger, until today...

IMAG0172.jpg

Yup, furry handcuffs next to a discarded pair of boxer shorts. Obviously some people have a far more interesting journey down this road than I do...

PoliceMadAd

I was walking to work a year or two ago, and came across a dead fox which had obviously been run over and then moved to the side of the pavement. There it was, still barring it's teeth for all to see.

It lasted a couple of days before vanishing.

I rode past a newly killed fox at the side of the pavement a few weeks back on the way into town, came back the opposite way and had completely forgotten it was there, then later that day walked back past the original way with a mate, chatting away not looking at the floor and almost stepped on it, gave us both the shock of our lives, even though i should've known it was there.

I found a plastering scraper thingy in the middle of a busy RAB not too long ago sharp side up, had to move it before someone would've ran over it and probably caused a nasty accident.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom