Oddest thing found/seen lying in the road?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
Walking back late at night (early in the morning :whistle: ) from a party, at somes friends flat, in Sunderland in the late 70's I was coming back over Wearmouth Bridge. roughly were the young boy is in the link. I heard a feint call of "help". Upon looking over the bridge I saw a guy lying on the side of the river here. It's about a 50 foot fall. Another guy walking the other way, on his way to work, also heard the call. I ran for the police, he tried to get down to him.
The CID officer who came round to see me the next day said they suspected he had been walking on the parapet and had fallen. Someone at college, who was a local, had heard of the guy and that he lost a foot from his injuries.

moralcrusader

But also what type of hat was it wearing

Baseball cap. Backwards. Very 1990's. Which it was, coincidentally.

niggle

oddest thing would be a subaru car. On its roof in the middle of the lane (have pic somewhere) after the driver have decided to show off his 'ability'. He and his chum were waiting for the wrecker truck (they were fine).
In my case it was a Peugeot 206 on its roof in the middle of the road, near the bottom of an icy hill, no occupants (January last year)

EDIT: another oddity found when riding a motorcycle was a large wardrobe, just lying there on its back in the middle of my lane.

Christopher

Über Member
Great thred!

Further oddities: a pair of pink lacy knickers... fluttering in the breeze 20 ft up a tree at the side of a cyclepath. Someone had an interesting night out. And a pair of black ladies stockings (only) on the platform of Frodsham railway station.

Found a bunch of masonry drill bits scattered over the road once along with the box they lived in, think someone must have taken a bend too fast. I did think of keeping them but they were massive, at least 25mm thick and half a metre long, way too big for our little drills. So I piled them back into the box and left it there and the box and its cotents had gone by the next morning.

Have sometimes seen drunks asleep in the park when I cycle to work early. It's one of the signs of summer in Preston!

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
In Portugal we narrowly avoided what looked like half a salt cod lying in the road.
And in Turkey I stopped and carried a tortoise across a dual carriageway.
It would have taken the thing ages to get over, if it didn't get squidged before it managed.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Walking along with the gf and came upon a bundle of notes lying on the pavement which turned out to be 75 quid, sorted me out with a new helmet!

I bet the GF was pleased about THAT!! :biggrin:

I found a pile of about 100 uncooked loose sausages in the middle of a busy A-road. Everybody was swerving round them so they were still intact.

And there, illustrated is where we lie in the standings of road users. Everybody avoids some sausages, but on sight of a cyclist, they just drive on and mow us down! :rolleyes: Do you think the sausages payed 'road tax?'.

bonker

Guru
Great topic.

One of the most amusing things I have seen by the side of the road was on the A24 just south or Horsham.
I used the route when I was training for the Ironman so had to get lots of miles in. Early one Sunday I noticed a purple glittery vibrator by the side of the road, just in the verge, I passed that dildo several times during the summer and spent hours day dreaming as to how it may have ended up there.

Then one Sunday morning it was gone. I found this slightly disturbing.

mightyquin

Well, I saw a discarded and clearly used condom the other day, some side street. Clearly someone had been having fun in the back seat of their car......

And yesterday I found my Oyster card after realising it had fallen out of my pocket, i cycled back the way I'd come. Lucky as I'd just topped it up!

wesa

Some years ago I saw a truck go round a corner too fast, it was one of those little (7.5t ?) frozen goods trucks with doors on the sides, haven't seen them for a while. One of the doors came open and a big box of McCane (However you spell it) frozen chips fell out. I had no way of keeping them cold (it was the middle of summer) so I just piled them at the side of the road.
I spend teh rest of the ride coming up with some realy bad jokes about loose chippings.

I used to know a chap who swore blind that while waiting for a lift, hitch hiking on some motorway intersection or other, he offered a silent prayer that a cold beer would be nice, a few minutes later a truck dropped a pallet of beer right in front of him. There were some breakages but he really appreciated the bottle opener on his pen knife. He reported that it was much easier hitching a lift while sitting on a pallet of beer.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Well, I saw a discarded and clearly used condom the other day, some side street. Clearly someone had been having fun in the back seat of their car......

Try rowing on the Clyde, you will regularly see them floating past :rolleyes:

And yesterday I found my Oyster card after realising it had fallen out of my pocket, i cycled back the way I'd come. Lucky as I'd just topped it up!

Lucky you, I remember several years ago, I had just bought a decent bike computer from Halfrauds (I know I know, but I wa about 15 at the time). I fitted it on and set off .....only for it to fall off several hundred yards down the road and promptly get crushed by the car behind. I was not impressed! :blush:

Do you know what - they were giving the sausages more room than I tend to get as a cyclist! How weird is that? :wacko:

I can just about beleive you! - I guess that becuase it isn't a common sight on the road, drivers were having a WTF? moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom