OE Tyres - Are they the same?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
My little Charge Grater run around has tyres they have called Charge Coaster but if you look closely they have Kenda on them. I can only presume they must have asked Kenda if they could rebrand them??

the_mikey

Legendary Member
I agree, they ought to be. However, I wouldn't go for Contis again after my experience with Ultra Sports. Wear very quickly, and about the same puncture resistance as a slice of processed cheese!

Ultra sport tyres look rubbish on paper, they're only for the most glass, thorn and flint free roads, probably not in the UK. It's possible that where the roads are of good quality and the surface is clean, smooth and well maintained then your tyre choice of tyre would shift towards reduced rolling resistance and grip, but UK roads demand puncture resistance and toughness.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
I've never had a problem with Giant OE tyres, either on my hybrids or road bikes.
Even picked up Giant road tyres for £4 in the Rutland Cycles sale!
There's a lot of snobbery about tyres, as with most other cycling related items. Apart from the name on any given item, most people probably wouldn't notice much difference - if any - between OE and branded stuff.
I've got a cycling buddy who changes the saddle, tyres, bars and stems on any new bike he buys (and he buys a lot!) before he uses it, because "OE stuff is rubbish".
When asked if he had ever actually ridden a bike fitted with original equipment for any distance, he sheepishly replied "No".:rolleyes:

bpsmith

Veteran
You would be surprised at the difference better tyres make @Dirk Thrust. I used the stock Giant tyres for a while on my Defy and they weren't bad. Swapped to GP4000S and they're worlds apart. The Conti's are very smooth and have lots of grip too. Bike felt better and times were faster. No punctures either.

My other bike came with Hutchinson Equinox 2's are they are awful. Zero grip with any sign of wet or damp roads. Now got Specialized S Works Turbo's on that bike and they really are amazing. Even better than the Conti's. Doubt they will last forever as they are a racing tyre, and softer, but they are awesome in wet or dry and corner like nothing else I have tried.

Tyres do make a difference, and are the cheapest worthwhile upgrade to what come with most bikes, no question.

U

User6179

@Eddy yes, they're the ones. Could I ask where you got yours from please?

Bikediscount or Rose the last time I bought the gp4000s , cant remember which one but have used both in the past for stuff, wiggle price match if you don't want to use them.
Used this company once as well http://www.acycles.co.uk/continenta..._produit_cpc&gclid=CIWe_oaMlMUCFcfMtAodTh4AXQ

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
I'm still of the opinion that, once someone has splashed out their hard earned cash on any 'upgrade', they will try to convince themselves and anyone else who will listen that it is actually a major improvement; whether it's noticeable, or not.
Most marketing is pure hype.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
My mate was running stock Giant tyres and after a handful of rides the rear decided to balloon in one spot. We were in France at the time so not ideal.
My missus had a brand new Continental 'puncture resistant' tyre punctured, by a small piece of glass, after just 5 miles; whereas I have ridden the past two years puncture free (touch wood!) on stock Giant tyres - so I'm not quite sure what point you are making.
Anyone can be unlucky.

Last edited:
OP
OP
mrbikerboy73

mrbikerboy73

Über Member
Thanks @Eddy , I'll have a look.
You would be surprised at the difference better tyres make @Dirk Thrust. I used the stock Giant tyres for a while on my Defy and they weren't bad. Swapped to GP4000S and they're worlds apart. The Conti's are very smooth and have lots of grip too. Bike felt better and times were faster. No punctures either.
I totally agree. I ran my stock Giant tyres (PR-3) on my Defy 1, which weren't bad, until the rear was knackered, then changed them to GP4000s and there was a noticeable difference. I'll run the Giant PSL-1 tyres on my Defy Advanced until the rear is knackered and then replace them I think.

My mate was running stock Giant tyres and after a handful of rides the rear decided to balloon in one spot. We were in France at the time so not ideal.
My Giant rear tyre did 4000 miles but then it began to bulge in places so it did very well really.

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
My missus had a brand new Continental 'puncture resistant' tyre punctured, by a small piece of glass, after just 5 miles; whereas I have ridden the past two years puncture free (touch wood!) on stock Giant tyres - so I'm not quite sure what point you are making.
Anyone can be unlucky.
Why does everyone always have to be making a point lol - I was just sharing an experience of stock tyres is all, which rightly or wrongly has meant I have little confidence in them.

I absolutely agree with what you say, though, that anyone can be unlucky...usually the same people are always unlucky too lol

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Why does everyone always have to be making a point lol - I was just sharing an experience of stock tyres is all, which rightly or wrongly has meant I have little confidence in them.

I absolutely agree with what you say, though, that anyone can be unlucky...usually the same people are always unlucky too lol
I'm sorry if I misunderstood you, but the point that appeared to come across was that OE tyres were no good, because your mate had a problem with one.

Last edited:

sanddancer

Just searching and came across this thread.
I have a 12 month old defy 1 and the defy tyres have been fine, all be it I'm not a great mile muncher.
Also bought a triban with Hutchinson equinox a few months ago for a winter bike.
I have rode to work the past two days on the defy and am contemplating riding for my two night shifts on the triban (wet weather now and it has mudguards)
at my cycling standard any old tyre will do lol.
the worry I have is punctures.
it is pitch black along most of the journey so changing tube would I imagine be a nightmare.
A lad at work had no end of punctures even two on one ride and swapped to conti gators and hasn't had one since.

I'm thinking of putting these on the triban as was my plan from purchase, just haven't got round to it yet as I'm tight :biggrin:
and retiring the defy for winter.

are those puncture repair cannisters any good or not ? As I have one from lidl.

Top Bottom