OE Tyres - Are they the same?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Gatorskins are good, and the Hardshell version. I've not had a visit from she who must not be named since about 2010 on Contis, and that's about 7000 miles over thorny rural roads in all weathers. I'm afraid that you get what you pay for.

mustang1

Guru
Thanks @Eddy , I'll have a look.

I totally agree. I ran my stock Giant tyres (PR-3) on my Defy 1, which weren't bad, until the rear was knackered, then changed them to GP4000s and there was a noticeable difference. I'll run the Giant PSL-1 tyres on my Defy Advanced until the rear is knackered and then replace them I think.

My Giant rear tyre did 4000 miles but then it began to bulge in places so it did very well really.

But I wonder if you're comparing brand new conti to knackered pr3. If you compared brand new pr3 to knackered pr3 then you might also notice a difference.

I'm NOT saying there isn't a difference between pr3 and conti, but that when a tire wears, it wears gradually and the rider slowly gets accustomed to the new properties of the worn tire. When the rider gets a brand new tire then the difference is very obvious.

Having said that, I've noticed differences between all the tires I've had, even in a blind test where someone else installed the tires and I wasn't allowed to see which ones, I could tell the difference when at the same air pressure.

mustang1

Guru
Gatorskins are good, and the Hardshell version. I've not had a visit from she who must not be named since about 2010 on Contis, and that's about 7000 miles over thorny rural roads in all weathers. I'm afraid that you get what you pay for.
I used gatorskins 23 and 25mm tires. The 23 used to puncture more often so I switched to 25 which were far better. Possibly co of my weight.

They were an excellent commuting tire and due to the hard compound, not as grippy during corners.

bpsmith

Veteran
My Bianchi came with Equinoxes on. They lasted 1 ride in the wet as couldn't get the grip I expected and trusted. A very unfair comparison with the Conti GP4000S or the Specialized S-Works Turbo's I use now, but then they are significantly cheaper.

It boils down to your style of riding tbh. I love fast downhills and cornering, so they're not for me, but they might be decent tyres if your style is different.

Top Bottom