Off-bike supplemental training

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Travs

As this area is based around this, and weight/waist/stomach are all elements that come into this, I hope it would be beneficial to bring up the above as a topic.

I've been training in the gym on a Wattbike and riding for about 2.5 years now. Never really lost much weight although its not massively been my focus until more recently as I have been chasing power performance and overall speed etc.

Recently I had some sessions with a cycling-focussed PT at my gym. He wanted to put me through my paces off the bike to improve flexibility, increase functional strength and avoid injury (both long-term and short-term) on the bike. Lots of stretches and movement with a key mention of engaging muscles that we forget: the core, and the glutes. great way of thinking about the stomach is to imagine you're putting on an ever so slightly tight pair of jeans. No need to tense as hard as you can, just focus and pull them in.

I've been doing various stretches at home to practise but also had what turns out to have been a really useful aid; I have recently borrowed one of those contraptions that fits into the door frame and means you can do pull-ups. Its easy to press/push at home but pulling is something that we're very restricted. I can't really do many, but I've been working on supersets of 5/6 pull-ups, 12 push-ups, 20 unaided squats. Keeping strict form and carefully thinking about aligning mind with motion to engage all the muscles and I'm finding its really starting to work much better than I thought.

My waist is definitely feeling firmer and trimmer and I notice that I'm more keen to pull my core tight when doing activities - especially when riding. Its so easy to just let it hang as we don't feel we're using it, but I've noticed a real improvement and feel so much stronger overall that riding is less effort overall. Its hard to explain and I'm yet to do a long hard session to put me through my paces but its a real motivator.

Reactions: 2IT

alicat

Legendary Member
Thank you @Travs

Your report is a good spur to work on my core muscles, which seem to have got buried under a spare tyre.

Jimidh

Veteran
I do some weight training and also do Bodybalance classes for flexibility and core strength - I find that it works so long as you get get over being the only bloke in a class full of women!!

OP
OP
Travs

Travs

Thank you @Travs

Your report is a good spur to work on my core muscles, which seem to have got buried under a spare tyre.

It definitely works and didn't take too long either - to do the sets or to see an impact; glad it can help motivate.

With the classic layer of "cushioning" the difference will be less noticeable (I still have some to go) but the improvements will be in your performance and how you'll feel like you can cope with more on the bike and therefore will be able to ride for longer or harder or whatever your goals are.

OP
OP
Travs

Travs

I do some weight training and also do Bodybalance classes for flexibility and core strength - I find that it works so long as you get get over being the only bloke in a class full of women!!
I did some Pilates classes years ago with that gender split; weird but if it works, do it.
It's the opposite end of the scale to grunting your way through a set loudly and then chucking the weights on the floor. Utter idiots in my opinion but each to their own.
Balance is all about core and glutes. I notice on the train - not holding on when standing and you're likely to fall. A 5-degree bend at the knee (ie not even noticeably visible) and pull your core in. Much more stability.

OP
OP
Travs

Travs

TRX suspension system works for me. Link is for a cheap copy similar to the one I bought and it works just great. Added to that a couple of books to get the best exercises and how to explanations and away you go. Improve your core strength and you will see improvements on the bike and a need to go down a waist size in trousers :dance:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Valkyrie-...hash=item258e2725cd:m:mTl_N8Xms5rQWOiwSHXGbew

Absolutely - having to refresh my jeans is a confidence-boosting effect. And TRX focuses exactly that; it's brilliant what you can do and learn - so simple and yet so effective.

Top Bottom