Off for a week touring in the South of France!! Byeeeeee

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
jay clock:-enjoyed the cgob journal - merci beucoup

pedaling:-ive met quite a lot of solo (cyclist) ladies on tours - mainly dutch and german doing in some case very long distances - as a bloke it is difficult for me to give an oponion on the security aspects - the two or three ladies that I discussed it with gave me the impression that once they had got over the hurdle of doing it once it was a matter of confidence and being experienced enough not to put themselves in situations that might go awry - non that I spoke to about it had experienced any problems

Bike maintenance is nothing to worry about if the bike is in reasonable shape to start with - its not a rocket - being able to mend a pun##ure or tighten things is about all you need in France - anything worse you will probably need a spare part so get on bus, taxi (I broke a seatpost at the end of a tour in france in 2008 and was able quite easily - bearing in mind that my french is non-existant and I am somewhat deaf - to find a taxi with a bike rack for the last 10k to St Malo) or train to the nearest place with a bike shop.

As to the solo aspects I nearly always cycle on my own these days - mainly because as I have got old and selfish I enjoy it like that - no compromises - and I find I end up speaking to more local people when I am on my own rather than the insular nature of being a pair

Crankarm

Guru
Cathryn said:
But if you really hate it, you get the train and go and see your mates. But you had the courage to try it.

I'm not a girl although some of my mates say I am :smile: so my experiences might not be the same as yours. When I was 19 I cycled around France for a month alone. I fitted a basic rack to my racer added a saddle bag and off I went :angry:. I was a bit nervous as I didn't speak much French unlike you but if you are an outgoing person who likes meeting people you will be fine. You meet so many more people travelling alone I feel. And being quite young people tend to take you under their wing so to speak. I met some really interesting and generous people. Honestly I say go for it. Be sensible with safety though as you are a lass like regular calls to your folks. Set up a call window so if you don't call then there could potentially be a problem. But honestly you will have a great time. If you are visiting people then you have the best of both worlds people you know and can be at ease with then those on the open road ;). Have you thought about contacting a few French cycling clubs, as you say you speak almost fluent French, they might have younger female members who would be really pleased to meet up with a young female Brit touring their area maybe put you up and show you around? Just a thought.

pedaling

psmiffy said:
jay clock:-enjoyed the cgob journal - merci beucoup

pedaling:-ive met quite a lot of solo (cyclist) ladies on tours - mainly dutch and german doing in some case very long distances - as a bloke it is difficult for me to give an oponion on the security aspects - the two or three ladies that I discussed it with gave me the impression that once they had got over the hurdle of doing it once it was a matter of confidence and being experienced enough not to put themselves in situations that might go awry - non that I spoke to about it had experienced any problems

Bike maintenance is nothing to worry about if the bike is in reasonable shape to start with - its not a rocket - being able to mend a pun##ure or tighten things is about all you need in France - anything worse you will probably need a spare part so get on bus, taxi (I broke a seatpost at the end of a tour in france in 2008 and was able quite easily - bearing in mind that my french is non-existant and I am somewhat deaf - to find a taxi with a bike rack for the last 10k to St Malo) or train to the nearest place with a bike shop.

As to the solo aspects I nearly always cycle on my own these days - mainly because as I have got old and selfish I enjoy it like that - no compromises - and I find I end up speaking to more local people when I am on my own rather than the insular nature of being a pair

I think I'm going to use the Raleigh mtb and convert it, if I decide it definitely is big enough (not sure about this!), so the bike will need a bit of work in the first place... But once that's done hopefully I won't need to do too much to it.

Well I'm not even old and I still prefer it like that. I'm quite outgoing and as you say, you do end up chatting more to the locals when on your own. In a pair I think people tend to leave you alone and assume you don't want to interact as much.

pedaling

Crankarm said:
I'm not a girl although some of my mates say I am :biggrin: so my experiences might not be the same as yours. When I was 19 I cycled around France for a month alone. I fitted a basic rack to my racer added a saddle bag and off I went :tongue:. I was a bit nervous as I didn't speak much French unlike you but if you are an outgoing person who likes meeting people you will be fine. You meet so many more people travelling alone I feel. And being quite young people tend to take you under their wing so to speak. I met some really interesting and generous people. Honestly I say go for it. Be sensible with safety though as you are a lass like regular calls to your folks. Set up a call window so if you don't call then there could potentially be a problem. But honestly you will have a great time. If you are visiting people then you have the best of both worlds people you know and can be at ease with then those on the open road :biggrin:. Have you thought about contacting a few French cycling clubs, as you say you speak almost fluent French, they might have younger female members who would be really pleased to meet up with a young female Brit touring their area maybe put you up and show you around? Just a thought.

Have -thought- about contacting French cycle clubs, just not actually done anything about it! My friends near Bordeaux reccommended I do this as well. I guess I could always investigate a bit more once I'm there. Call window type thing is what I usually do if am on my own travelling, even if in London or whatever, so will probably keep that up.

I know what you mean about people taking you under their wing. I've definitely found this, especially in Germany. I think Germany has to have had some of the friendliest people I've ever met when travelling - people really just welcoming me as if I'm their neighbour and inviting me in!

pedaling

Thread on my touring plans is here if you want all the blah.

Problem now is my parents. They're getting seriously itchy about it and claiming I will die on the road, that the statistics show it's unsafe etc... :/

pedaling

Cathryn said:
Not in France. Safest place ever to cycle!

(scientifically may not be true but definitely feels that way.

That's what I said! I said if they think it's bad in France, how come they let me cycle here at rush hour when everyone's all stressed and even more aggressive than normal. They are unconvinced though, very unconvinced ;)

Also they want me to take people with me.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Be gentle with your parents - they're worried because they love you and they want you safe, rather than to just spoil your fun. So generally, the best way to win parents round is to find ways of keeping their minds at peace whilst still doing what you want to do - how best to do that? Sounds like you have some good idea.

Also, generally, the more 'planned' you are, the more they think you've taken things seriously. Start a spreadsheet....

montage

God Almighty
Jay Clock, I read your blog, brilliant! What is your view for attempting to do an entire trip on minimal funding? (would be great to roll around France for a week on £200 ish :thumbsup: )

All this talk is making me eager to tour round france this summer, but I would have to get plans into shape sharpish as the summer is approaching soon! But planning while revising for A levels = not good :ohmy:.

Another minor problem, I speak next to no French ...problemo?(infact the only languages I can really remember is how to insult somebody's parents in Spanish). Also I imagine that on tour I would pick up several injuries....I don't think I could resist trying to time trial up the mountains ;) .... and as pedaling mentions, finding somebody to join who is into cycling is a nightmare!

rich p

ridiculous old lush
montage said:
Jay Clock, I read your blog, brilliant! What is your view for attempting to do an entire trip on minimal funding? (would be great to roll around France for a week on £200 ish :biggrin: )

All this talk is making me eager to tour round france this summer, but I would have to get plans into shape sharpish as the summer is approaching soon! But planning while revising for A levels = not good :biggrin:.

Another minor problem, I speak next to no French ...problemo?(infact the only languages I can really remember is how to insult somebody's parents in Spanish). Also I imagine that on tour I would pick up several injuries....I don't think I could resist trying to time trial up the mountains :smile: .... and as pedaling mentions, finding somebody to join who is into cycling is a nightmare!

Team up with pedaling. You'll halve the price of the tent.:smile:

pedaling

Cathryn - my parents would have me planning to the hour if they had their way! - The very nature of my dad's job is to plan things meticulously, because it's the kind of job where there's no margin for error. But yes, I shall be planning, and no doubt sending them regular updates if/ when it happens.

I'm working on convincing a couple of my guy friends. One I don't reckon would do it in reality, one might. Fingers crossed.

Rich - Apparently we get volunteered on these boards?! :smile:

Montage - inflatable sofa? What if it breaks? A levels aren't a good time to think of such things, no, but that's exactly what I find myself doing because I need some decent procrastination!

rich p

ridiculous old lush
pedaling said:
Rich - Apparently we get volunteered on these boards?! :biggrin:

!

Just trying to save you some money, ped, and satisfy the parents that you have a chaperone. I don't need thanks - a job well done is reward enough for me!;):biggrin:

montage

God Almighty
rich p said:
Just trying to save you some money, ped, and satisfy the parents that you have a chaperone. I don't need thanks - a job well done is reward enough for me!:biggrin::biggrin:

Looks like pedaling isn't the only person who has been volunteered?

Ped, what you really need on the chaperone front is one of these

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Just think- you may both be an item in Sky's human interest search!
Okay, okay, I'll give up my matchmaking career:biggrin::biggrin:

Top Bottom