Off for a week touring in the South of France!! Byeeeeee

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jay clock

Massive member
Well, on Sunday! But I am all packed up as I am off to my parents for a family get together tonight, back late tomorrow. Up 5am Sunday for a chilly lake based triathlon (1100m swim, 37km bike, 10km run). Hopefully home by lunchtime, then straight off to fly down to Nice on Sunday evening.

Forecast is looking excellent - about 21-25 and sunny.

Here is what I am up to

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/france2009

Jay

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Have an awesome time...enjoy it and bring us back some pains au chocolat!!

pedaling

Very inspiring - I'm planning on some kind of France/ Germany/ Switzerland melange for my first cycle trip. Tent you've got looks pretty good too. Glad to hear someone else reccommending the MTB converted route since I'm thinking that's gonna be the cheapest way for me to do it.

Would you advise just getting a flight over? I've thought about cycling down (I'm in Manchester) but maybe it'd be easier flying over. One of the main reasons I want to go to the continent is because of the considerable lack of cars and rain compared to here.... Hm.. Although would that mean taking my bike to pieces for the flight? :/

Cathryn

Legendary Member
No it wouldn't. Remove pedals, deflate tyres, turn handlebars round and box it...you'd be fine. It's not very eco friendly but to be honest, I'd def fly down. More time where you want to be instead of getting there.

Or try the European Bike Express if you want to be a little greener.

pedaling

Cathryn said:
No it wouldn't. Remove pedals, deflate tyres, turn handlebars round and box it...you'd be fine. It's not very eco friendly but to be honest, I'd def fly down. More time where you want to be instead of getting there.

Or try the European Bike Express if you want to be a little greener.

That's what I thought. I really need to sort the raleigh out (blah on my really long thread in beginners section about a touring bike) first. I think sorting out will be: slicker wheels, sort brakes, new saddle, rack & panniers... Damn revision distracting me! Ah.

My intentions were to be green but I'm missing France now and don't really want to spend a long time faffing round getting there...

What do you think about cycle touring on my own? Parents aren't convinced at all, tho I like the idea of the independence. I speak almost fluent French and German so at least there isn't much of a language barrier... I don't speak perfectly at all, but I can have normal speed conversations. If I went with friends, I'd probably end up speaking English most of the time too as they don't speak French, so it wouldn't really be 'immersion.'

Just had a look at the European bike express. It's very expensive! Might be cheaper to get trains if I want to try to be green.

Had a look at eurostar and can get returns for around £50 for students, which seems pretty good.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
I'm afraid I don't know if you're a gal cyclist or a boy cyclist which would (sadly) influence the thoughts I had on travelling alone. But maybe it doesn't matter.

I would imagine it depends on whether or not you'd travelled alone abroad before, how comfy you are on your own and how confident you are with strangers. I can only really give my own views if it was me. I've thought a lot about if I'd be happy touring on my own and I think that within Western Europe at least, yes, I would be. I also speak French almost fluently, which gives confidence, and I've travelled alone enough in the past. I have basic (very) bike maintenance skills and the wherewithall to get the bike fixed if it broke down. I'm pretty savvy and think I'd be fine. My struggle would be travelling alone for an extended amount of time - for a weekend I know I'd be utterly fine, but night after night of eating alone? And not having someone to shout 'wow' with as an awesome valley opens out before you? I'd be fine, but I think I'd miss company. But it has to be the right company.

So at the end of that long paragraph, I think assuming you're confident in your own abilities to travel alone, do it. Be very careful, and be kind to your parents and text them a couple of times a day, but go for it. I wish I'd done more cycle touring when I was younger, don't miss out!

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Aaah you're a gal. I thought you might be. Def still think the above then.

Try reading Josie Dew 'Wind in my wheels'. People hate her on here, but I think she's awesome. She's a girl, she tours...I personally found her really inspiring when I started cycling properly.

pedaling

Yeh, I'm a girl, am 18. I've been travelling before a few times, first went abroad on my own when I was about 14 to visit friends in Germany, which was fabulous! Only really travelled in France, Germany and England on my own though (nowhere particularly unusual!) and often I've been travelling to meet friends or family or both. I'm used to meeting people quite easily and find that generally I can get around okay on my own - usually meet people on TGV in France/ in restaurants/ people assume I'm a student and ask me what I'm studying...

The problem is that my bike maintenance skills are next to nothing as you've probably heard from my 'oh shoot, what do I do with this bit now?' posts... apart from that I'm pretty healthy, able to cook for myself etc. I think it'd be nice to have company in ways, but I also love being able to choose what I want to do when I want to do it (one of the reasons I used to decline to take my now-ex on my France trips!)

Plus if I go to France I already know people in Paris, Poitiers, west coast, Bordeaux, most of whom have said they'll happily have me for a few days.

I just don't see when else I'm going to have the chance to definitely do this. Once I get to uni I expect I'll have to make more of an effort with internships etc and pretend I want to do something other than run off and try living somewhere else :tongue:

Will check out her book. One to add to my list!

Cathryn

Legendary Member
So actually, it could work. You'd have a few nights on your own, then be with friends, then a few nights alone, then friends etc. So you'd never be lonely for very long. I guess the thing is to make it as safe as possible...staying in hostels or B&Bs, maybe and going on a maintenance course before you go.

I'm excited for you. As I said, wish I'd done it when I was 18.

OP
OP
jay clock

jay clock

Massive member
I have three girls about your age and I would love them to do a trip like that. But I must say I would be less keen for one to go alone but not entirely out of the question. It is different for a boy, but even then it would depend what he is like. I know some 18 yr old boys I would not let cycle to the shops!

Find a boyfriend who is into bikes? Might solve your problem......Or take another female friend?

pedaling

jay clock said:
I have three girls about your age and I would love them to do a trip like that. But I must say I would be less keen for one to go alone but not entirely out of the question. It is different for a boy, but even then it would depend what he is like. I know some 18 yr old boys I would not let cycle to the shops!

Find a boyfriend who is into bikes? Might solve your problem......Or take another female friend?

I don't want a boyfriend! Had enough of them for the foreseeable future!

But if you mean a friend who is a guy, I have quite a few, only they're either 1) too scared by the prospect of a cycling holiday and keep trying to persuade me to interrail or do wwoofing with them or 2) they don't have the money to do a longish cycling trip. There's only one (just one!) who is mildly into bikes.

One of my female friends is contemplating it, but again I'm not sure she can afford it either.

pedaling

Cathryn said:
So actually, it could work. You'd have a few nights on your own, then be with friends, then a few nights alone, then friends etc. So you'd never be lonely for very long. I guess the thing is to make it as safe as possible...staying in hostels or B&Bs, maybe and going on a maintenance course before you go.

I'm excited for you. As I said, wish I'd done it when I was 18.

Yeh, I think it could work. No doubt my parents would be ringing me extra-regularly if I did it though!

Mmn. Must. Get. Maintenance. Course. Booked! :tongue:

You never know, I might start it and decide I hate it... Most likely I'd try convincing myself to continue anyway though!

Top Bottom