Off peak train times

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
With a rail card off peak travel is very cheap.
Trick is to get a open return..
With Network card at weekends (if in SE)...Monday to Friday after 10am there’s a minimum fare of £13 iirc and restrictions around London

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Northern have "peak periods" from 06:00 to 09:30 and 16:00 to 18:30.

That depends on which area of the Northern network you are in. I'm not 100% on tickets, but know that in Hull & East Yorkshire there's no peak time restrictions in the afternoon :okay:

OP
OP
Chris S

Chris S

Legendary Member
If anybody is still interested I clicked the 'i' on the ticket booking machine.
If you are travelling on Arriva Trains Wales then an off peak outward journey must start between 09:30 and 15:59.
The return journey cannot start between 16:00 and 18:29.

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
On commuter services peak tends to be 'with flow' so into London (or Manchester etc) in morning and out again in the evening. Inter City it tends to be both morning and evening whatever but Virgin removed all restrictions on Friday as it created ridiculous bunching and need for additional services immediately after peak ended.
They also chop and change. When I first started commuting between Northampton and Euston in 1990 there were peak restrictions out of London in the evening. Then for maybe ten years there were not. Then they were re-imposed for passengers travelling as far as (and including) Long Buckby, but not got those going (on the same train) to Rugby or the West Midlands. That easement for longer distance passengers caused all sorts of misunderstandings as more than a few conductors didn't know the rules.

Now they've removed return restrictions for 'ordinary' off peak but introduced a 'super off peak' which is not available 16:00 to 19:30 (or something like that).

Bottom line is only way to find out is to check when booking.

There are no peak times out of Grimsby ever. I am not sure how the return journey works. I assume they could have a peak time and if I used the train during that time I would have to pay the difference? Or pay for a separate one way ticket? Anyone?

. Bottom line is only way to find out is to check when booking.

Not sure they always no what there talking about. But if you went on train line it would clearly show when peak time is. but I was told once that it didn't matter as long you start your journey at non peak time. As I said not sure if she hew what she was talking about.

Then they were re-imposed for passengers travelling as far as (and including) Long Buckby, but not got those going (on the same train) to Rugby or the West Midlands. That easement for longer distance passengers.
So get a train ticket for a longer journey to place you didn't want to go to and get of at the station you did want to go to and you might save money?
Assuming the people checking ticket if there were any didn't make you pay the extra?
I did used to get a return ticket to stockport (where I changed) and then a return ticket to my destination as it worked out cheaper. It might still do but keep forgetting to check.

classic33

Leg End Member
So get a train ticket for a longer journey to place you didn't want to go to and get of at the station you did want to go to and you might save money?
Assuming the people checking ticket if there were any didn't make you pay the extra?
I did used to get a return ticket to stockport (where I changed) and then a return ticket to my destination as it worked out cheaper. It might still do but keep forgetting to check.
And it could end up costing you more, with aa fare penalty and/or being forced to purchase the correct ticket.

classic33

Leg End Member
And it could end up costing you more, with aa fare penalty and/or being forced to purchase the correct ticket.

postman

Legendary Member
Today our daughter goes back to Edinburgh.She has been home for my birthday celebrations.Leeds to Edinburgh the fare humungous about £60 .Leeds to York just short of £3.Gets off meets her aunty has a tea.Get next train York to Edinburgh just short of £13 bonkers totally bonkers.

vickster

Legendary Member
Today our daughter goes back to Edinburgh.She has been home for my birthday celebrations.Leeds to Edinburgh the fare humungous about £60 .Leeds to York just short of £3.Gets off meets her aunty has a tea.Get next train York to Edinburgh just short of £13 bonkers totally bonkers.
Indeed but it depends how much time is ‘worth’ to you sometimes.
How long do both options take?

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Unless she particularly wants to meet her aunty for tea why not just buy a Leeds-York and York-Edinburgh ticket and stay on the train. Ticket splitting is perfectly legitimate

Top Bottom