Off peak train times

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chris S

Legendary Member
According to Trainline peak fares are, "Monday to Friday (not on public holidays) between 06:30 and 09:30, and between 16:00 and 19:00."

Does this mean that you can't be on a train at that time or you just can't board one then?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
You cant board with a non peak ticket at those times

tom73

Guru
As above
Though as one guard told me if they often don't have time to look at that what they are looking for is has it got a valid date.
So if it's a packed out train you can often get away with it if you happen to get on the wrong train :whistle:

Mr Celine

Discordian
According to Trainline peak fares are, "Monday to Friday (not on public holidays) between 06:30 and 09:30, and between 16:00 and 19:00."

Why ask Trainline? They don't run any services. Different train operating companies use different definitions of peak and off peak and aren't always consistent between different locations. For example Scotrail have no evening peak going into Edinburgh but peak between 16:30 and 18:30 leaving Edinburgh, but there is an evening peak both into or out of Glasgow.

classic33

Leg End Member
Northern have "peak periods" from 06:00 to 09:30 and 16:00 to 18:30. Both can be extended if they feel the need to, but the times are set by the local PTE, Metro.

And if you're travelling on one of their services, having started travelling before peak period times, don't be surprised if their staff ask you to get off at the next station.

As above
Though as one guard told me if they often don't have time to look at that what they are looking for is has it got a valid date.
So if it's a packed out train you can often get away with it if you happen to get on the wrong train :whistle:
Or hop on a northern rail train _ often packed at any time as they cancel so many.
(Still need to write complaint about having to ram my bike onto a train around 2.30 in the afternoon at Manchester piccaddilly on a recent trip _ apologies to anyone I displaced)

Last edited:

tom73

Guru
Or hop on a northern rail train _ often packed at any time as they cancel so many.
(Still need to write complaint about having to ram my bike onto a train around 2.30 in the afternoon at Manchester piccaddilly on a recent trip _ apologies to anyone I displaced)
Yes very true having a train to use your ticket on is more a lottery then working out which ticket to buy.

Levo-Lon

Guru
With off peak day return tickets I have the idea that it is only the outbound trip that is off peak controlled and that you can return at any time. True?

If we pop to London or York ect for a day out we leave on the first off peak and then grab whatever train is available for home, usually 4-5pm times we get back 6..6.30 as a rule.
The home train is usually rammed but it's only an hour from london

We try to get a terminates at Peterborough, as they are less busy and empty at various stops..

Top Bottom