Off Road Fix

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

phil120867

Über Member
I've just come back from zipping around the country lanes near where I live on the old 531 (see attached) and i had a sudden urge to turn off the road and follow a footpath sign into some local woods, I didn't think it was possible to ride a fixie on rough ground but I actually went quite quickly, I've just been on wiggle looking for cross tyres. Has anyone tried this before? Are the results a disaster?

MajorMantra

This isn't updated any more but you might find it interesting:

http://www.63xc.com/

I've never done anything rougher than a decent dirt track on the fixed and I must say it was good fun. One of the neat things is that skidding is very easy because the less grippy surface. It helped that I was on 23mm slicks too.

Matthew

OP
OP
phil120867

phil120867

Über Member
I've just had a quick flick through, its telling that its not updated anymore, maybe its just a kult too far. I'd probably break my beloved 531 anyway. cheers

MajorMantra

phil120867 said:
I've just had a quick flick through, its telling that its not updated anymore, maybe its just a kult too far. I'd probably break my beloved 531 anyway. cheers

Erm, I said that.:angry:

It does at least point out that off-roading on a fixed is perfectly possible. Come to think of it, I wonder how many of the Spesh Singlecrosses that everyone was buying last year from Pearsons are being used for this. I suppose most of them have been commuter-fied....

Matthew

OP
OP
phil120867

phil120867

Über Member
I've been looking at a Genesis I0 single speed and replace the freewheel for a fixed sproket (somehow) or do the same with a specalized tricross through Evans bike to work. Then I can have the whole winter to lay about in the woods! I have to wait until I pay of the Scale 20 in Sept. I've then got the time to decide on drops or straight bars. I've already got to MTBs so I'd quite like to try drops on the rough

RedBike

The problem with riding fixed off-road is that it's near impossible to get your weight back behind the saddle / your heels down. Therefore descending anything steep is somewhat intresting, que loads of over the bars moments.

Have a look at this blog
http://peakcyclehire.com

He's riding fixed off-road but if you look at his bike its far from conventional. The saddle is way back over the rear wheel so he can sit and pedal with his weight back.

Clarkey

RedBike said:
The problem with riding fixed off-road is that it's near impossible to get your weight back behind the saddle / your heels down. Therefore descending anything steep is somewhat intresting, que loads of over the bars moments.

Have a look at this blog
http://peakcyclehire.com

He's riding fixed off-road but if you look at his bike its far from conventional. The saddle is way back over the rear wheel so he can sit and pedal with his weight back.

That is spot on advice - a gravity drop seatpost with handlebar remote is on my wish list!

I have ridden off road on fixed quite a bit but am no kind of hero (Cannondale 1FG with 60" ish gear). It makes ordinary bridleways a satisfying challenge and gives fantastic speed control over roots etc. Climbing is also great and the bike makes it easy to plug through mud - you don't tend to 'stall out' at the bottom of the pedal stroke if the rear wheel slips. The only real problem is steep descents.

Dave5N

Über Member

OP
OP
phil120867

phil120867

Über Member
Landslide said:
Tut-tut. Bridleways for bikes. Footpaths (if signed as such) are off-limits.

It was almost dark and I didn't see anyone at all. I stay on bridleways at all other times. How do you keep walkers off bridleways then?

RedBike

phil120867 said:
It was almost dark and I didn't see anyone at all. I stay on bridleways at all other times. How do you keep walkers off bridleways then?

I thought walkers had priority over cyclists on bridleways?
(and horses have priority over everyone.)

Top Bottom