off the bike I went

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

paul04

Über Member
Well as the title say's, I fell off my bike today.
Riding home from work, and as it was raining I thought I would just go the short way home.
As some of you know they have been putting tram tracks in for the new trams in and around the manchester area.

Well riding home I was going around 18 mph, I had to cross the tram tracks(as I have done a 100 times before)
I was on the mountain bike, and with the wide tyres it crosses the tracks with ease, but today as I crossed the track the back wheel skidded on the track and the bike just went right from underneath me,

I went flying through the air, landing then slidding along the floor, my hand and arm took most of the impact, I got up off the floor and the bike was about 15 foot away from me.
No cars stopped they just went around me and carried on there way.
The bike looked ok, so rode home then checked myself.
I have skinned my elbow and my knee, ripped my glove and coat and pants, as I skidded along the floor.
As far as I can see the bike looks ok apart from a scuffed pedal and hand grip. I will give it a good check over tomorrow on my day off

So a lesson learnt today, take it easy going over the tracks.

Pikey

Waiting for the turbo to kick in...
I did a similar thing on some tracks in Bristol last year in the wet, more through luck than judgement managed to jump off the bike and land on my feet.

I have been told it looked like a ballet move since...

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Ouch.. sorry to hear that.
Tracks are lethal.
I always slow right down and take it very easy when crossing them.

GetAGrip

Still trying to look cool and not the fool HA
Ooh nasty. Glad it was not any worse. Sounds like you got away lightly. Take a nice soothing long hot soak in the bath :thumbsup:

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
Any fall is nasty. At least the grazes will heal.
It's such a shame no one stopped to check you were ok. Be thankful none of them ran you over:B)
Hope you aren't feeling too battered tomorrow.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
Glad you and the bike are mostly okay.

Chicks dig scars.

OP
OP
paul04

paul04

Über Member
I am a bit sore today, mainly my hand which took most of the fall, but in a few days I will be fine :smile:
I checked the bike over today, only a scuffed pedal, handlebar grip and a small scuff on the seat.

But I am sure its not my weekend, took the bike out on the road, just to make sure it was ok. And I get a puncture. I was only 2 minutes away from home, so pushed it back:sad:

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
There are a few tram tracks around Wolverhampton. When I do have to cross them its always at as close to 90° as possible, and try to lift the weight f the tyre that's crossing it, sort of like a crap bunny hop.

OP
OP
paul04

paul04

Über Member
There are a few tram tracks around Wolverhampton. When I do have to cross them its always at as close to 90° as possible, and try to lift the weight f the tyre that's crossing it, sort of like a crap bunny hop.

Same here, I just don't think I got the angle right, and went across it at about 25/30°, maybe me being to confident at crossing the tracks, and thinking the mountain bike tyre would just go over them.

Well as they say, we learn by our mistakes.
I know I need a new coat, as mine has a few holes in it where I slid across the floor.
IMAG0061.jpg

Top Bottom