Off'ed by a child

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

walker

I was making my way in this morning when no more than 100 yards a school kid on a BMX decides to just cross the road without looking.
I was doing a fair 23mph and he just went flying, somehow I managed to stay on the bike but suffered a puncture.

decided to cut my loses and just head home and get the train this morning.

PrettyboyTim

Sorry to hear it!

Was the kid all right?

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I avoided a similar collision last year - kid on a BMX came shooting out of a passageway into my path on the road (no lights, but accompanied by his Dad). I suggested to the Dad that it was;

a) Lucky I wasn't a car
:laugh: He might want to sort junior our with some lights if he's going to ride on the road.

The particular stretch of road is a fairly quiet residential street, so I don't go flat out on it (good job too). Glad you're ok Walker - hope the kid was too (and will look first next time).

yenrod

I really young kid - ran out on me once - why - because i was soo quiet (whilst riding): I warned him enough to shock him but not enough to totally destroy him. Though I hope the next time he decided to RUN out into the road he LOOKED 1st.

If they kid was old enough I wouldnt have held back with some 'straight talk' - which is very much missing in todays society !

Why do I sense someones going to pull me on that last statement ????????

OP
OP
walker

walker

I did yell at the kid but only to say that if I had been a car he would of been dead. He did get up and in my anger I made him say sorry. He seemed ok to cycle off into the sunset so I think he is fine. At least till the Xray tell's him otherwise

yenrod

Cab said:
Anyone had a near miss with a kid that ran out, and then been yelled at by a parent for it?

I was, in my case, waiting for the kids mother or father - but no one appeared.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Near my kids school I've noticed parents thinking its only a bike it doesn't matter ... luckily I'm always doing less than 10 mph ... cos its very narrow (parked up with Mummy's car dropping off her darlings within 10 meters of the door), and I like to annoy all the parents who insist on driving that close to the school:evil:.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I've run into a kid - like you say a few hundred yards from home - bumped his bike - he was swerving all over. Just a bump, and I reminded him that if I was a car....blah...blah.

Lots of children where I live now, so you have to be extra careful, in a car or bike - only had one near miss when a little child came running out - managed to stop, and just told them 'If I had been a car....' - they don't look properly, I'm always trying to drill it into my son when he's pedalling up and down the close.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Driving on a residential road last night.

Road curves suddenly to the right.
Middle of the road, coming towards me, Dad & his son (8ish) and daughter (10ish). All on bikes, not a light between 'em......

bonj2

Are you SURE?

You're absolutely SURE you were doing 23mph? There's not a slim chance it could possibly have been 19mph?

:sad::rolleyes::biggrin::rolleyes::biggrin::rolleyes:

threefingerjoe

Über Member
really have to watch for the kiddies playing in front gardens, also. Many moons ago, I was coming down a hill, passing a hedgerow, (going fast enough to have fun!) and suddenly a ball came into the street through the hedge...followed by a big Labrador Retriever! I broadsided the dog, and did an end-over. Flattened the side of my helmet, and put my lights out for just a few seconds. Little kiddie was playing with the dog, and threw the ball into the street.

Arch

Married to Night Train
threefingerjoe said:
really have to watch for the kiddies playing in front gardens, also. Many moons ago, I was coming down a hill, passing a hedgerow, (going fast enough to have fun!) and suddenly a ball came into the street through the hedge...followed by a big Labrador Retriever! I broadsided the dog, and did an end-over. Flattened the side of my helmet, and put my lights out for just a few seconds. Little kiddie was playing with the dog, and threw the ball into the street.

I did that, only to a Rhodesian Ridgeback. I also came off worst, the dog just stood there, blinking at me in a kind of "what was that?" way.

Top Bottom