Off'ed by a ford

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Not by one of these....
ford-fiesta-econetic-thumb.jpg

but by this geographical feature.

I've ridden through this a couple of times a month for the past 5 years with no problems, but today it had a special surprise. Normally the surface is just concrete with a little bit of chalk silt if the flow is high enough. But since my last visit some algae's finally managed to get hold and made the surface like ice.

Bike ok, newish and not cheapish pair of Gore trousers with a big rip, Ortleib pannier scuffed but not holed (good news, as it took a bit of a trip downstream with my laptop). Scabby hip (would include photo but NWS) sore wrist and another reason for my trashed left shoulder to stop working. :biggrin:

Apart from the accident, have a look down the road across the River Arle, its a very pretty commute.:biggrin:

Norm

My personal fevourite ford is just out of sight around the corner here, even though I had a similar off when I tried it one winter.

Because it was running pretty deep, I was watching the water surface as I went across rather than watching the opposite bank, so I went a-diagonal rather than a-cross. Apparently, there is a raised bed where the "carriageway" is meant to run. I figured this out when my front wheel dropped off the edge, launching me face-first into the water. That was a long, cold ride home. :sad:

Ooouch! I guess your mishap was not witnessed by other road users and thus compounded by embarassment.

'Cyclist slips on algae' is not a thread you tend to see very often.

Recommend a big mug of tea and at least half a packet of chocolate digestives watching the highlights from Stage 2 of the Tour of the Basque Country.

Good job it wasn't a fjord.

Edit: And re-reading the OP, ouch! Dint to the flesh and the wallet, a double whammy, much sympathy.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Ouch - bad luck! This bastard near Nelson in Lancashire got me!

It is on a tight bend with a steep descent to it and a steep climb back up the other side. I made the mistake of trying to use my momentum to help me up the climb so I hit the ford at speed. What I hadn't realised was that the road there is cobbled (which bright spark thought that one up! :sad: ). The cobbles were covered in slimy moss and there were gaps between them. The inevitable happened... My front wheel (literally!) washed out and got stuck in a crack between two cobble stones so I went straight over the bars. Somehow, I escaped with cuts, bruises and a good soaking. My bike escaped with a few scratches. I don't ride through most fords now!

ColinJ said:
Ouch - bad luck! This bastard near Nelson in Lancashire got me!

It is on a tight bend with a steep descent to it and a steep climb back up the other side. I made the mistake of trying to use my momentum to help me up the climb so I hit the ford at speed. What I hadn't realised was that the road there is cobbled (which bright spark thought that one up! :sad: ). The cobbles were covered in slimy moss and there were gaps between them. The inevitable happened... My front wheel (literally!) washed out and got stuck in a crack between two cobble stones so I went straight over the bars. Somehow, I escaped with cuts, bruises and a good soaking. My bike escaped with a few scratches. I don't ride through most fords now!
That one looks nasty, it doesn't look like you get a good view of it either

HLaB said:
Magnatom knows all about this one!

Oh yes, that was my 40mph brown trouser moment!:biggrin:

Bad luck Bollo. I have one on my new commute. This one here. I'm very sensible these days and get off to cross it. If the water is low (like in the google picture) I skip across it. If deep, like today I take the wee path at the side.

Oh and Bollo, where is the video?!

Norm

Just remembered that I'd posted some videos of the kids (of all ages) having fun in the one that tripped me up. That video was in the middle of summer, though. It gets a little deeper in December. :biggrin:

Fords.

Definitely something to treat with respect.

I've been through this one in the heart of Ashdown Forest once or twice - very steep hill beyond it. :biggrin: Considering it's also on a sharp bend, and can have a lot more water than the Google view shows, not to be trifled with...

Hah! It's great Google. I haven't visited this one since 1979 when it nearly had me on my way to Llangollen with two panniers on. I stayed up though, ever since then I've been real cautious around fords. Reminds me, must head back there sometime, Patrick Stevens country I believe.

OP
OP
Bollo

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Thanks people, happily drifting off in a painkiller and vallarian tea-induced haze.

It looks like I've joined a new club. I've always treated this one with respect even though its rarely higher than shown on google, for no other reason than the road on either side is none too clever.

No witnesses, so pride remained intact but I was fully covered in sh1te for the remainder of the ride. I may have got off lightly, as Mrs Dr Bollo has just pointed out a very large gash around the trouser ankle (trousers now officially buggered). Something very sharp must have cut through as the trousers have some hefty reinforcement at that spot. The corresponding spot on my ankle has a faint red mark across it, but the skin hasn't been broken. Lucky escape I guess.

I think I nearly came a cropper on that Ashdown Forest one on last year's Burgess Hill Rumble - some seriously bad roads around there.

Maggers - no video I'm afraid as I forgotten to charge the batteries over the hols. I can assure you that my roar of surprise and pain was gruff and masculine.:biggrin:

Top Bottom