Official Close Pass Licencing response

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Putting aside all the discussion about the validity about my road position before the overtake in this video, everyone, including those who disagreed with my road position thought the driver was way out of order. As well as this, no-one having looked at the video (and it has been looked at in fine detail!) has suggested that I swerved towards the vehicle.

With this in mind, and also considering that the licencing board are supposed to investigate and come to a conclusion about any complaint made to them about a driver, have responded to me with the following...

complaint against driver of Private hire car plate no.2266
I refer to the above and can now make you aware of the conclusions reached as a result of our investigation into the allegations raised.
We traced and interviewed the driver of the vehicle detailed in your letter of complaint.
The driver stated that while he was in the process of overtaking, you moved to the right, therefore reducing the space that he would normally leave for cyclists. He also stated that as he passed you, you struck the side or roof of his vehicle, at which point he stopped. The driver stated you then approached him, shouting and swearing. As he had a female passenger on board he decided to drive away, as his passenger and he did not need to tolerate this.
Although the driver feels it was safe to pass when he did, he apologises for any upset caused.
This concludes our investigation.

I'd be interested in your opinions on this.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Point them to the video and let them make their own minds up as to why he's lying so much.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

I sent the video, so they had that. What gets me the most is that they call this an investigation. All they have done is talk to the driver and tell me what he said. They have come to no conclusions, they have ignored the evidence and have just swept it under the carpet.

Bad driving on the road annoys me. This pi$$ed me off when I read this. I certainly will be taking this further. They also completely ignored my suggestions for campaigns etc. Now I don't mind them not wanting to get involved, but they should at least acknowledge what I have written.:biggrin:

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
I refer to the above and we can now make you aware of the conclusions reached while flicking through a copy of Top Gear magazine.
We traced and interviewed the driver detailed in your letter and I can confirm that he pays his licence.
The driver stated that while in the process of ferrying a nun to a children's home for no charge, you attempted to urinate from your bike against the side of his cab, while hammering on the cab window with an empty bottle of Buckie. The driver, concerned for your mental and physical welfare stopped to offer first aid and counselling.
The driver stated you then approached him,turning blue and bending time and space like Dr Manhattan in the forthcoming Watchmen movie. Fearing your powers could destroy all of Glasgow he decided to drive away, as his passenger and he did not need to tolerate this.
Although the driver feels you should not be on the f**king road, he promises to get you next time.
Just f**k off, cycle-boy!

Joseph

magnatom said:
The driver stated that while he was in the process of overtaking, you moved to the right, therefore reducing the space that he would normally leave for cyclists.

As you can see from the video, as soon as you (allegedly) swerved into the area he acknowledged was dangerous, he immediately performed an emergency stop.

Mags, it's a bunch of ****.

PM me the the reference for your complaint, I'll write in a letter to the council chief exec.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
That's life - one side vs the other.... needs to be concrete..... the law is an ass if you are the victim... my solicitor has given all the "lows" to me despite being in the "right" - even my getting private physio (on doctors orders) may mean I don't get my cash back...

They won't do anything...at least the licensing folk have spoken to him - that's enough..... he may be more careful next time.

Private hire - don't trust them - I was well stitched up years back when I turned into a car park, and a private hire car cab reversed into me ...... I've also had friends stitched up when a private hire driver has hit them... - crooks !

I see it as at least a positive result - the driver was questioned.... he may think next time...

Bollo said:

I refer to the above and we can now make you aware of the conclusions reached while flicking through a copy of Top Gear magazine.
We traced and interviewed the driver detailed in your letter and I can confirm that he pays his licence.
The driver stated that while in the process of ferrying a nun to a children's home for no charge, you attempted to urinate from your bike against the side of his cab, while hammering on the cab window with an empty bottle of Buckie. The driver, concerned for your mental and physical welfare stopped to offer first aid and counselling. The driver stated you then approached him,turning blue and bending time and space like Dr Manhattan in the forthcoming Watchmen movie. Fearing your powers could destroy all of Glasgow he decided to drive away, as his passenger and he did not need to tolerate this.
Although the driver feels you should not be on the f**king road, he promises to get you next time.
Just f**k off, cycle-boy!

:biggrin:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I've just viewed this a few times in high quality - there is no way you moved off your line.

Your cam is excellent by the way.... but as said above, you'll be sided against...just poor driving that's it.......

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Tell them having reviewed their letter you now feel that contacting the police is the only way forward. A criminal record would be the end of his job if it ends up that way. No one wants that, but they've proved incapable of dealing with the situation.

Send duplicate complaints to your mp and the council itself and tell them why.

Lastly I would perhaps see the press as a last resort.

thomas

the tank engine
I had (which looking back) an incident which wasn't as bad as some people have had. It really annoyed me though so I told the on campus police officer (having told him about an incident before). Again he didn't take it seriously and wrote an email to me saying how the police wouldn't do anymore because I was partially responsible (I stopped when being tailgated and told the driver to give me room).

I wrote a complaint, then made it less complainey...a statement was taken by the Sargent of the station. Unfortunately, even though it's gone further up the ladder I've still not heard back. Looks like I might be popping into the station on my way home tomorrow.

I would say you should complain about their outcome and ask to speak to someone more superior. They seem to be taken an attitude of livelihood over life.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Bollo,

You have a appitude for reading between the lines!

I don't want to take this to the police. I think this guy could learn his lesson without him loosing his job (although I am sure the police wouldn't do much anyway). However, during this 'investigation' it would not appear from what has been written that any action has been taken to inform the driver that this type of driving is not acceptable. So I will certainly take this further.

Joseph, thanks for the offer. I think it would be better coming from me (do you have some connection with the exec that would help?). I think I will try and contact the licencing section back to see if they will look into my 'concerns' about their investigation. If not then I will take it further, i.e. council/MP etc.

I'll keep away from the press at the moment (although I have a couple of contacts that might be interested), as that brings its own problems.

What worries me most is that this is the response I got with damning video evidence. What happens if you don't have this. :biggrin:

jezhiggins

magnatom said:
Although the driver feels it was safe to pass when he did, he apologises for any upset caused.
This concludes our investigation.

If you did want to continue, I think this is the area to work on. "Although the driver feels it was safe to pass" is exceptionally weak wording. Regardless of his feeling, your video shows him overtaking in the face of oncoming traffic. The Highway Code is clear on when and where overtaking is or isn't a good plan, and into oncoming traffic is solidly in the isn't category. So he can feel whatever he likes, but the expected standard of driving says otherwise :biggrin:

If you were feeling more argy-bargy, and I think I would, you might ask them what their opinion is. You, after all, provided video evidence which shows the guy driving like arse, while he's blamed it all on you. Do they have a conclusion of their own?

Jez

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I would certainly reply to that letter, and ask them to pass an additional letter on to the driver.

In that letter to the driver, you can explain his several failures of observing the highway code, how his impatience risked your life and that of the oncoming car driver, and that he would only have been waiting for you in the queue ahead anyway. I would quote the highway code at him, and explain that he's lying about you moving out as can clearly be seen on the video. I'd also mention how put his registration on youtube, searchable, and that his bad driving will remain there as an embarassment to his professional driving

Top Bottom