Official Closest pass video

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
M

magnatom

Origamist said:
You're still the number 1 cameræd crusader to me – battling those dastardly cartoon villains: Mr Hippo aka “The Penguin”, "The Mad Hatter" Col, and Lee "The Joker"?
:biggrin:

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
Over 400 posts about what? A non-event! A car travelling at low speed overtakes a pedestrian on a bike/wannabe cyclist a bit closer than this pedestrian on a bike/wannabe cyclist wants.
Magnatom - from your first post "...his attitude are not acceptable" - neither was yours!
Read the advice in the Highway Code "Always give way if it can help to avoid an incident." Please note, it says 'avoid an incident' and not 'provoke an incident'.
One final point, please learn to tell the difference between 'your' (possessive pronoun) and 'you're' (contraction of 'you are').

col

Legendary Member
It seems to me that all the excuses used like its to make my journey safer,or there might have been some ice or debris so it would be more dangerous to move over are just that,excuses,more like i dont want to be held up on my journey,and why should i be when its easier for a car to pick up speed again.And the reason of i may as well not be on my bike if im held up that often?Its rare i have to stop in any of these circumstances and i still enjoy my cycling,It comes back to the my journey is more important than others routine,which has been used against cars before.If your in that much of a hurry then use the car,cycling is about enjoying the benefits,and giving way to faster vehicles and maybe even slowing or stopping just part of being a courtious cyclist.I dont know call me old fashioned,but i dont feel good holding people up when all it takes is a few seconds extra to let them passed,and it makes the roads a safer place and less confrontational,correct me ,and i know you probably will mag,but whats the big deal about losing some time instead of have these incidents because you would rather hold a line that blocks vehicles from passing,now i know you will say it stops close overtakes,but they dont have to be close if you dont mind losing a few seconds on your trip.Or is that the whole point,you feel you shouldnt have ?

OP
OP
M

magnatom

I see a post by the moderators. I'd love to know if there is a thread in the moderators forum about this thread. If there is I bet it is a good few pages long!

Back to this thread. I can hear a lot of white noise but I just can't make any sense of it.....

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Oh, wait a minute I've applies some filters to the noise and some signal is coming through....a spaceship is coming to earth from the planet Llort. Commander Tollr says he comes in peace, but after that all I can make out is garbbled nonsense.....:cheers:

Origamist

Legendary Member
col said:
It seems to me that all the excuses used like its to make my journey safer,or there might have been some ice or debris so it would be more dangerous to move over are just that,excuses,more like i dont want to be held up on my journey,and why should i be when its easier for a car to pick up speed again.And the reason of i may as well not be on my bike if im held up that often?Its rare i have to stop in any of these circumstances and i still enjoy my cycling,It comes back to the my journey is more important than others routine,which has been used against cars before.If your in that much of a hurry then use the car,cycling is about enjoying the benefits,and giving way to faster vehicles and maybe even slowing or stopping just part of being a courtious cyclist.I dont know call me old fashioned,but i dont feel good holding people up when all it takes is a few seconds extra to let them passed,and it makes the roads a safer place and less confrontational,correct me ,and i know you probably will mag,but whats the big deal about losing some time instead of have these incidents because you would rather hold a line that blocks vehicles from passing,now i know you will say it stops close overtakes,but they dont have to be close if you dont mind losing a few seconds on your trip.Or is that the whole point,you feel you shouldnt have ?

Some cyclists adopt a primary position at pinch points in order to try and limit conflict with overtaking and oncoming traffic - not to delay motorists or make their commute faster, Col! You have a different strategy for dealing with these situations and it also can lead to problems (a proportion of drivers don’t like cyclists in secondary) - there is no one "right" answer. Magnatom has stated that he has taken this line for 2 years with no similar issues - that seems like pretty good going to me.

As for close overtakes, a study found that motorists pass cyclists closer than when they overtake motorised traffic. Why is this? Strange as it may sound motorists tend to pass cyclists only a few inches closer on average when they were further out in the road (not by a matter of feet). Cyclists adopting a primary road position will stop the vast majority of impatient overtakers at pinch points, but every so often you will suffer an "admonitory overtake"...

Finally, cars delay me on my commute every day - average speeds are sub 15mph. I don't get angry or impatient with them...

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
An equally good suggestion might be for you Lee to try and post in a slightly more socially skilled and friendly way. I know I'm not particularly good at this either, but I hope Dave saw my posts in the light I intended to, i.e. as a mate and not with the intention of upsetting him.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

BentMikey said:
An equally good suggestion might be for you Lee to try and post in a slightly more socially skilled and friendly way. I know I'm not particularly good at this either, but I hope Dave saw my posts in the light I intended to, i.e. as a mate and not with the intention of upsetting him.

Absolutely Mike. You and I have had some disagreements in our time, but it has always been as online cycling mates and if I was ever down your neck of the woods I would happily meet up with a beer.

Lee however is confrontational, and often posts (intentionally?) in a manner that is ambiguous and suggestive. That is not in my opinion helpful and just raised hackles. Just look at how he reacted to jez and the reaction that that provoked. Lee suggests that I don't accept I should change my cycling. In my first post on this thread I suggested that I could have done it differently.
So Lee, will you admit that you should change your posting technique? In fact I am this at col as well. You've both suggested that my cycling technique was antagonistic, would you agree that your positing styles have an antagonistic effect?

Top Bottom