Official Closest pass video

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

col

Legendary Member
Origamist said:
Some cyclists adopt a primary position at pinch points in order to try and limit conflict with overtaking and oncoming traffic - not to delay motorists or make their commute faster, Col! You have a different strategy for dealing with these situations and it also can lead to problems (a proportion of drivers don’t like cyclists in secondary) - there is no one "right" answer. Magnatom has stated that he has taken this line for 2 years with no similar issues - that seems like pretty good going to me.

As for close overtakes, a study found that motorists pass cyclists closer than when they overtake motorised traffic. Why is this? Strange as it may sound motorists tend to pass cyclists only a few inches closer on average when they were further out in the road (not by a matter of feet). Cyclists adopting a primary road position will stop the vast majority of impatient overtakers at pinch points, but every so often you will suffer an "admonitory overtake"...

Finally, cars delay me on my commute every day - average speeds are sub 15mph. I don't get angry or impatient with them...

The only problems my style of riding has caused me if you can call them problems,which i dont,i call it the safest choice,is that i might have to stop and wait for a gap to carry on when i have let vehicles pass before a pinch point,im all for the right position at the right time,but too early with excuses isnt in my opinion.In two years i think he has had more incidents with his i have every right to be here so you must comply with my style of riding,than i have had in 35 years of cycling,so i would rather stay with my way than his way.
His way is a perfect world scenario,but im afraid this isnt a perfect world and drivers dont understand the needs of cyclists in the same way as we do,so expecting it is unrealistic and as he has shown in the past,dangerous with the trouble he has had.he posts his vids for all to see, and have said what we think,instead of concedeing we have a different idea of safe cycling he calls us trolls and comes out with silly statements instead of answering questions that he must find too difficult,im not a troll,i say it how i see it,but then reply to his genuine trollish behaviour,which i admit gives him excuses to avoid the answers,but it just shows his real character,instead of the so called fine upstanding fighting for the cyclists rights one.We are adults and should be able to act like it,if he cant handle others thoughts that dont agree with him then dont post a vid.
In my ,and others opinion it seems,he took primary too early and could have let this taxi go before the pinch point,thats if he was aware of it being there,if he was aware of it then it was a really ignorant line ,if he wasnt then he should learn to be more aware of whats around him on busy roads,and not expect to block exits of busy roundabouts with out somesort of reaction.He should also learn that losing a few seconds on a roundabout by slowing and checking for a gap before the pinch point is safer and better all round than holding traffic up exiting a roundabout.This is my opinion and also the way i cycle,i have had hardly any problems worth mentioning using this way all my cycling life,he cant say the same as his very style aggravates others,but then uses safety as his excuse.Like i have said,i will use position when its needed,but it seems he uses it to make points.My post is not meant to upset but put an argument forward,if this makes me a troll then id like to know what insinuation and name calling is ,as that seems to be his way of replying when he doesnt get the answer he wants.
Be a man and answer without insinuation or name calling,and prove my impression of you wrong.:?:

Col, I don't mean to be rude and I'm sure you're making lots of very good points, but is there any chance you could write your longer posts using sentences and paragraphs? And maybe put spaces between punctuation marks and the start of the following word. Then I might get to the end of one of your posts having read it all without my eyes hurting.:?:

Origamist

Legendary Member
col said:
Be a man and answer without insinuation or name calling,and prove my impression of you wrong.:?:

We are all very adept when it comes to justifying how we ride and most of us do little more than feed our own confirmation bias about what is “best”. However, to suggest safety is nothing more than an “excuse” is unreasonable. Everyone perceives risk in a different way and will therefore deal with it in a multiplicity of ways. Just because you disagree with a strategy to deal with a particular set of circumstances, does not make it an “excuse”. Plenty of people will think you’re a crazy risk-taker for simply riding your bike on the roads…

Slowing down and waiting at the side of the road for a gap has four main disadvantages: your bike does not handle as well at lower speeds, you are less visible to traffic, if you grind to a halt your relative immobililty makes you more vulnerable, and moreover, you still have to rejoin the traffic before the troublesome pinch point. Like you, I sometimes do this if I am blocked by the traffic flow, but I’d rather not if I can negotiate back into the traffic stream. I adopt this coping strategy as I suffer more close overtakes on the approach to pinch points when 3 feet or so from the road edge as cars want to beat me to the pinch point . That said, I have also been on the receiving end of impatient drivers unnecessarily squeezing past me in primary. As the latter consequence is less frequent, I choose to play the odds as I see them. I ride defensively and defer to traffic when it keeps me safe, but I would not adhere to your methods as they are predicated on obeisance to motorised vehicles.

We don’t know the taxi driver would have passed him with more room - he might or might not have (the former is your assumption because it dovetails with your viewpoint). I have already explained that cars tend to give cyclists less room than they give cars when overtaking.

Sadly, we do not have film of your cycling to compare with Magnatom’s...

Finally, I have never called you a troll, or put you on ignore, (like many other people seem to do) as your viewpoint is valid and I suspect it would represent the opinions of many other cyclists/motorists.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Thanks origamist. Very well put.

I should add that I call col a troll for very good reason. A thread was removed due to his assault on my character with his comments regarding my honesty.

I think Mag courts confrontation on the roads, while I think he is a good enough chap I think he is the cause for many of his own problems while cycling, sorry Mag but that's my opinion on it. I think Col trolls as can be seen by his final line.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Catrike UK said:
I think Mag courts confrontation on the roads, while I think he is a good enough chap I think he is the cause for many of his own problems while cycling, sorry Mag but that's my opinion on it. I think Col trolls as can be seen by his final line.

Crikey Ian, that's a bit shocking coming from you!

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Catrike UK said:

....and you are free to have it! :becool: Of course I would disagree!

See Lee, there is a way of saying things that doesn't wind people up. Catrike and I have had differences of opinion in the past, but I have never thought of him as a troll. Despite what you say (over and over again!) I have no problem with people disagreeing with me, or thinking I am in the wrong. Debate is one of the prime reasons for me posting my videos. If I didn't accept criticism, then why would I be posting videos.

BM, I'm having a bit of a debate along the same sort of lines as you on my official close pass video, with embracepragmatism. He just joined youtube to debate with me. I have had some suspicions that it could be someone on here......;)

OP
OP
M

magnatom

User3143 said:
Learn to live with it and not get wound up or get the bus into work.

Lee, I think this is where I fundamentally differ from you. You want to just get on with it, and are willing to accept the way things are. I think that things can be improved and am willing to do something about it.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
User3143 said:
I think he has a point though BM, we have all had our fair share of ''close overtakes'' it is unfortunately one of those things now though on our roads. Learn to live with it and not get wound up or get the bus into work. (or go recumbent;))

Yeah, but I'm just surprised that he thinks Maggers courts confrontation. I doubt that very much, personally, even if I don't happen to agree with Maggers' riding in this specific situation.

I've yet to see Magnatom court conflict and cause trouble on the roads. Sure, he might not back down from abuse and bullies, but that's not the same thing at all. He's just going about his normal commute in a legal and safe way after all, not shouting out "feck ye all, I'll have you" [1] and waving his fist at them.

[1] Maybe someone can substitute some better/funnier/more accurate Jockinese here.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

User3143 said:
Why did you get wound up though?

:becool: Very good! Not wound up as such, probably the wrong word, irritated perhaps, hmmm, still not the right word. It just makes me want to ;).

You just come across as if you are trying to score points, rather than take the argument forward. Maybe as BM says, you do have something to say, if only you would take a different approach to say it.

I've changed my cycling over the years because of comments on here and on youtube. I've learned a lot from being willing to listen to what others have said. How about trying to change your approach to writing your posts? Isn't i worth seeing if it would help?

Top Bottom