Official Closest pass video

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

col

Legendary Member
jezhiggins said:
This is why I described what happened to me on Saturday. Some drivers want to get past no matter what and, since they don't come with a label on the front of their car saying "warning! i am a nutter", there's probably nothing you can do to avoid a confrontation (even in the absence of potentially aggravating factors like pinch points). None of us have perfect knowledge of the road and the other traffic, so everybody does the best we can (on the bike or in the car) and have to trust others to do likewise.

Incidents like Mag's and mine and others described here occur when somebody deliberately violates that trust. There's nothing that can excuse that.

But given that there are so many cars on the roads,can we not say that there is a possibility of coming across impatient or angry drivers more so,so we should try to minimise the effect of this by cycling accordingly?

col

Legendary Member
Origamist said:
If you fancy a slow bike race, let me know the time and place!

Your a track stand champion arnt you:laugh:

OP
OP
M

magnatom

User3143 said:
I don't think this is attitude I think this is to do with the driving culture in some Eurpean countries.

British motorists have always been known for flying everywhere not caring less about other road users, and there really is to many people to deal with. You ask any motorist why they drive bad, I can almost guarantee that one of answers given will be because other people drive the same.

Of course at one time drinking and driving was part of the culture. It still happens but it is frowned upon by the majority. Similarly it is possible to change attitudes/cultural attitudes towards cyclists given time and efforts being placed into campaigns, etc.

By the way your posts are much less confrontational at the moment :cheers:

col

Legendary Member
Rhythm Thief said:
Col, I don't mean to be rude and I'm sure you're making lots of very good points, but is there any chance you could write your longer posts using sentences and paragraphs? And maybe put spaces between punctuation marks and the start of the following word. Then I might get to the end of one of your posts having read it all without my eyes hurting.:cheers:

Ok will do:smile:

OP
OP
M

magnatom

User3143 said:
If you say so, I will look forward to the day when every (or most) motorists drive with due care towards other motorists and road users.

Come on Lee, you know that we aren't expecting cycling utopia! However, any improvement (especially here in Glasgow where there are fewer cyclists on the roads) is welcome and is worthwhile campaigning for!

col

Legendary Member
Sh4rkyBloke said:
Why should you have to go onto the pavement/verge though?

Col's approach is (IMO) way too servile and, without a doubt, no-one will change their attitudes towards cyclists if we all behave like that (because we'd be moving out of their way, as they expect from us).

Also, if no-one complains about bad driving then nothing will change that way either....

On the flip side though, if loads of cyclists still do the things that annoy car drivers (RLJ / ride on pavements / ride with no lights etc.) then this will help them stick to their notions about cyclists having no rightful place on the road.

It requires action and change from both 'sides'.

Thats not quite right,i will move when i can and its in the interests of my and others safety,otherwise ill cycle probably like most do.
I think the way we conduct ourselves on the road has more impact on drivers views of us.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
User3143 said:
I was amazed how quick you was on your bent.

Well I must admit I wasn't expecting you to ride so quick either, or so well.

boydj

Legendary Member
col said:
But given that there are so many cars on the roads,can we not say that there is a possibility of coming across impatient or angry drivers more so,so we should try to minimise the effect of this by cycling accordingly?

I agree with Col on this (and little else), but in my opinion, cycling assertively is the way to minimise problems. If you creep about hugging the kerb, then you might as well not be on the road as far as a lot of drivers are concerned. Why should I slow down and delay my commute just to allow car drivers to get to the next set of lights a few seconds sooner?

In 3 years of daily commuting in Glasgow, my cycling has improved through the advice and experience related on this and other fora. I now cycle much more assertively, and I have far fewer incidents. I have to say though that motorists on my commute are definitely more aware and better-behaved around cyclists than they were three years ago. Standards have definitely improved in general, contrary to some opinions, but the worst of the drivers are every bit as bad as they always were.

User3143 said:
If you say so, I will look forward to the day when every (or most) motorists drive with due care towards other motorists and road users.

That will be when computers drive cars.

I agree with Col on this (and little else), but in my opinion, cycling assertively is the way to minimise problems. If you creep about hugging the kerb, then you might as well not be on the road as far as a lot of drivers are concerned. Why should I slow down and delay my commute just to allow car drivers to get to the next set of lights a few seconds sooner?

1) I have been doing it for over 32 years so im not changing something that works for me.(Cycle commuting for 28 years now)

2) Out there it can be like a pantomime and you can put an act on (I do and it generally works with the motons)

It can be a big act...you can pretend you are going for a space and watch the motorists speed up to try and get there before you.
You know generally they are going to get there first so be it.

3) Motons drive what can be offensive weapons whereas if I hit them or they hit me then it won't be good on my part.(or use it against you which has happened to me the odd time)

4) I don't remember this and being told how to cycle in the 1980's by cyclists on here who are relatively inexperienced.Then again the intranet was very small but then again I had no complaints from the Crest Cycle Club with whom I rode with in the mid 70's and early 80's.

Col and I go against the flow so the minority generally gang up on us
because they are right when probably neither side is (fully) right for different reasons.

I have been really put off putting my points across here but I can only take so much.

Im taught to drive trains defensively and I have taught myself to cycle defensively and in both I look ahead a bit like a chess game although slightly faster.

5) Please respect my point of view even though you don't agree with it,like I accept your points of view about riding in primary although I don't agree with doing it all the time

6) Don't take this as a rant.

7) Cheers.

8) Yes another point....if there is a small space and a moton is rushing up to it then I would let him through even if it costs me a few seconds.My safety is more important than some comedian in a hurry.

9) Riding in primary blocking the road (we are much slower traffic whilst the moton sticks his foot on the pedal and gets up to 70mph no prob)...Ok this is not a go or a criticism but have you ever been in a car when it's stuck behind a tractor on a small A road and even seen how impatient the motorist gets?

Same basis really although cars can't really bully their ways past a big tractor but can only do a dangerous overtake.Same with a cyclist.

but in my opinion, cycling assertively is the way to minimise problems.

Like dangerous overtakes and close passes?

If you creep about hugging the kerb, then you might as well not be on the road as far as a lot of drivers are concerned.

Have you actually tried?
Drivers probably think that anyway.

Why should I slow down and delay my commute just to allow car drivers to get to the next set of lights a few seconds sooner?

Nice bit of motorist mentality there.

My opinion here is because they have a big metal box which can go at least 70mph if need be.Also it can be driven recklessly at any given speed.

Im a vulnerable road user a bit like a ped.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

boydj said:

In 3 years of daily commuting in Glasgow, my cycling has improved through the advice and experience related on this and other fora. I now cycle much more assertively, and I have far fewer incidents. I have to say though that motorists on my commute are definitely more aware and better-behaved around cyclists than they were three years ago. Standards have definitely improved in general, contrary to some opinions, but the worst of the drivers are every bit as bad as they always were.

I agree that things have improved over the last three years. Some of that is definitely down to more awareness of bikes on the road (there are more of us). I think though, similar to you, I have fewer incidents as I cycle more assertively. One stretch in particular, where I had lots of problems in the past was heading north towards Anniesland cross (i.e see this for an example). I realised that I was staying secondary for too long leading up to this junction, which was resulting in me being squeezed (there are two other examples of this in my videos). I decided to be more assertive and since then (August 2007) I have not had any incidents leading up to the junction.

Interestingly further back I did have an incident in March 2008 with a car overtaking far too close. I am in the secondary position, certainly not too far out. Mmm. It would seem that close passes do occur when I am in the secondary position as well. Maybe my road position isn't the issue after all.......:smile:

Top Bottom