Official Closest pass video

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Origamist

Legendary Member
OP
OP
M

magnatom

Origamist said:

That is a very interesting read. Do you know if this work has ever been published, or are they still planning to publish?

Origamist

Legendary Member
magnatom said:
That is a very interesting read. Do you know if this work has ever been published, or are they still planning to publish?

I'm glad someone reads the links! I'm not sure if it has been published in a journal and peer reviewed.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Origamist said:
I'm glad someone reads the links! I'm not sure if it has been published in a journal and peer reviewed.

Of course I do. Not everything, but if it is of interest to me. It has encouraged me to re-read the walker paper. I'll read them both in detail and provide my opinion when I get a chance.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

wafflycat said:
On a slightly different vein but still to do with the amount of space cyclists are given by overtaking traffic..

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/pete.meg/wcc/report/cycle-lanes.pdf

Aye, I've come across this one before. I'm a little wary of this as it doesn't present any proper data, just pictures (which may have been selected with bias), however, I am sure the findings are correct (at least from personal experience). The Walker paper and the rebuttal are very interesting though.

I'd just like to point something our regarding the Californian rebuttal of Walker's research. Their research was carried out on a single stretch of road as opposed to a range of urban roads as Walker states his data was gathered on. Also their road consisted of six lanes with a central divide in California with Californian drivers. I don't think they can argue that their research counters Walker's. Their allowed to have issues with presentation, though following them up with some statistical analysis would be better.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
benborp said:
I'd just like to point something our regarding the Californian rebuttal of Walker's research. Their research was carried out on a single stretch of road as opposed to a range of urban roads as Walker states his data was gathered on. Also their road consisted of six lanes with a central divide in California with Californian drivers. I don't think they can argue that their research counters Walker's. Their allowed to have issues with presentation, though following them up with some statistical analysis would be better.

Plus two cyclists riding together have a quite different effect on drivers than does one cyclist on his/her own.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

I agree with all of the above, but what it does highlight is the fact that the walker data is averaged, and averaged over different roads. It would be valuable to compare stats for different road types, as there are roads and situations where a close pass is more dangerous than others. This might also affect the distance that cars give you.

Origamist

Legendary Member
User3143 said:
I think it is very very hard to compare US roads to British roads. US roads are far far more cycle friendly then over here.

The cyclist part of the road is lovely, wide and smooth, no pot holes to deal with.

Except for the fact that the US has one of the highest KSI rates! Far more than the UK, and pretty much every other European country...

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Origamist said:
Except for the fact that the US has one of the highest KSI rates! Far more than the UK, and pretty much every other European country...

The problem with the rebuttal is though that they have chosen a very straight road, and it sounds like it wasn't too busy (on one pass there were no overtakes) and there was good lane space. It is certainly interesting, but more needs to be done looking at road types, (straight/not-straight, wide/thin lanes, multi/single lane, fast/slow etc). As I'm sure we are all aware different roads need different road positions tactics etc, so Walkers analysis averages out the interesting data and the rebuttal is to simplistic.

Origamist

Legendary Member
magnatom said:
The problem with the rebuttal is though that they have chosen a very straight road, and it sounds like it wasn't too busy (on one pass there were no overtakes) and there was good lane space. It is certainly interesting, but more needs to be done looking at road types, (straight/not-straight, wide/thin lanes, multi/single lane, fast/slow etc). As I'm sure we are all aware different roads need different road positions tactics etc, so Walkers analysis averages out the interesting data and the rebuttal is to simplistic.

I have not read them for a while. The WCC "paper" is a bit of joke, if I remember correctly. If I get a chance, I'll have a proper look at the w/e.

Top Bottom