Official CycleChat Jersey's Relay - Journal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Home after an impromptou 'night ride' of small and wet proportions. Cold fingers and toes. I am now the relay person (read muppet) with The London Jersey. Will write the proper ride report soon, things to remember:

Do not shred jersey in paper shredder
Remember to take photos when you chuck it in the Thames -bye bye Jersey!
TheDoctor will miss his bike lock more than my bike and tdr1nka's bike in a theft attempt.

Attendees of jersey relay:
Arallsopp
TheDoctor
tdr1nka
Mista Preston
ttcycle

Will write more soon..honest this isn't the mad ramblings of a sleep deprived fool it will all makes sense!

Night all!

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Ladies and gentlemen, after multiple aborted attempts, the jersey has been passed.
picture.php

L to R: Mista Preston, Tdr1nka, ttcycle, TheDoctor.
Holding the camera but insisting one of them take ownership of the jersey: Me.

Despite darkness, delays, rains, peculiars of SE London, chills and clearly crazy peds, the evening was a startling success. I no longer have the jersey. All is well.

picture.php

Acknowledging the onerous responsibilities of jersey signing, Grace drops to one knee.

20 odd miles, in the rain, and all very much worth it. So nice to see you all again.

Plus, the FNRttC crew are evidently doing something right, as a passing pedestrian asked "are you off to Brighton?" Henceforth, all groups of 3 or more cyclists meeting in the dark MUST target the coast. We have a reputation to maintain.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Brain cells engaged (well sort of..) let's write this up:

There were last minute plans made to pass on the jersey as arallsopp was feeling the pressure and was troubled by the weighty package in his care. The strategy of passing the jersey to andy the 'mile muncher' hadn't been successful, even after a desperate handover attempt on one of the Bromley Massive Sunday rides there was no person insane enough to take the jersey from Andy's sweating and nervous hands (see 'your ride today' for a report from ianrauk)- shame on you lot!! PMs flew from party to party and a last minute dash out plan was made for Thursday night on Wednesday.

Was a bit delayed coming out so was a bit late - felt a bit guilty as the rain was coming down and it was cold. Took the left out of the aerterial road and somehow went the opposite side of where I needed to be, made a call and turned round and pelted it down the road. Got off for the last bit and pushed the bike on the pavement (attempting to be good). A woman with her dog just standing on the corner of the street in the rain asked me as I pushed the bike past if we were heading out to Brighton and I said no we're just off for a ride- this made me chuckle! Finally got there to meet a slightly wet looking bunch which comprised of Arallsopp, Mista Preston, tdr1nka and TheDoctor. A round of hellos and handshakes later and recounting of the infamy/reputation of a FNRttC, we set off towards Greenwich with tdr1nka leading the way with that insanely bright red rear light blinking away. The woman asked Tdr1nka as he walked towards the main road again if we were going to Brighton.

Came through Peckham and wended our way through an array of little side streets getting rained on. Had some leisurely chats and catch ups - talked to Arallsopp about photography and his work at the moment. Found out about TheDoctor's amazingly unusual job and soon enough we were in Greenwich. Rode out up to the see the Thames and rumbled along the footpath, there was quite an impressive view of Canary Wharf lit up like a financial monster with a backdrop of syruppy treacle coloured sky without a hint of cloud. I'm a bit lax with photos -oh well.

The jersey was handed over - there was no ceremony, no torches, no bodyguards at the attempted audience rushing of CCers (who am I kidding?!) and that was it- it was too wet to hang around getting a proper handover picture at risk of getting the jersey too wet; a few furtive photos were taken by Andy - as 'proof' that the jersey had moved on. It's alright, you can sleep at night now. I joked that I'd lose the jersey down the Thames but would remember to take a photo of it- apparently the jersey has had a history in it's two yearish existence of being misplaced and lost-ahem! tdr1nka said that two years ago he was in the same spot with the jersey- it hasn't made it very far then! We've been slacking! However, there's a nice feel of completion there for the jersey to 'come home' as some would say. A few stories were told about stolen bikes on CC rides, TheDoctor still feeling the pain and tdr1nka musing over his stolen bike.

As it was wet, cold and we were getting depressed thinking of the ones that got away, we headed on. Mista Preston and Arallsopp made their way home as they had far to go and families waiting. tdr1nka, TheDoctor and myself ambled on towards the Cutty Sark Pub near the Thames Barrier. Cycled along and saw the high tide - missing the beach that tdr1nka told me about. Cycled along some rails and cobbles - pretending we were in bone shaking Roubaix territory.

Got to the pub for a swift one, locked up the bikes outside and TheDoctor took his Brompton in with him. There was talk of 'accidentally' shredding the jersey in a shredder - tdr1nka said that the zipper really messes up the machine- it sounds like he's had experience of this before...He got up to check the bikes outside and TheDoctor mumbled something about missing his lock more than the bikes if they were stolen. CC is indeed a friendly place.

Well it was getting late so we made our move to head home. I peeled off on Jamaica Road and went through Bermondsey- the road I needed was closed so I had a bit of detour but got home in the end like a drowed rat but glad to have been on the bike.

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
I appear to be "in possession" of the Northern Relay Jersey now, attempted to take a handover photo, but the guys were too scared to touch it again, in case they were left with it :rolleyes: .

TechMech brought the jersey south from Perth to Loch Leven, where I signed it with Scook and HJ as witnesses :thumbsup: . Loch Leven's Larder is a great place for CC Ecosse meetings, plenty of space if you arrive early, no need to reserve tables, and lovely food and cakes!

The return journey to Edinburgh was "interesting", HJ and I thought we'd skirted past the worst of the "isolated showers" near Kinross, but another one caught up with us, and stayed with us until Crossgates, with flooded roads :ohmy: . On leaving Crossgates, it was like somebody had turned a tap off, and the roads were completely dry until Inverkeithing. We managed to create sizeable puddles when wringing out our socks, but the jersey stayed dry, safely tucked away, phew!

So who wants it next?

There are a few Edinburghers (old and new) who didn't get a chance when it first arrived here a year ago, + the Winchburgh & western contingent ... any offers? It didn't make any progress north of Perth, so maybe we should try and send it west ...

T

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
Oops, forgot to report ... the Northern Jersey is on the road again ...

Mcshroom made a heroic effort to collect it, all the way from Cumbria :hello: .
The evidence of the signing is here, photo courtesy of Magnatom during the legendary Pedal for Cake ride :tongue: .
The Jersey also acquired viniga's sinature :thumbsup: .
(other witnesses: HLaB, Scoosh, Seamab, HJ)
I'll nudge Mcshroom, hope he will be along shortly to tell his story :bicycle: .

T

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
I'll nudge Mcshroom, hope he will be along shortly to tell his story :bicycle: .

Er yeah soon :whistle:

Yes I am now the proud custodian of a shiny CC relay jersey, which has now been repatriated to England but I think it's first visit to Cumbria. I'm sorry the stuff below is going to look very like the Pedal for Cake write up but it was the PfC ride :biggrin:

The ride started at a sensible 8.30, but unfortunately that was north of Glasgow, so I started with a drive beginning just after 5am (which doesn't only exist on FNRttCs apparently) and driving through the heavy rain on the way up I was getting worried, but by the time I made it to Bishopbriggs it was cloudy but dry.

After confusing the security guard at Morrisons by standing outside waiting for it to open I met up with magnatom and Viniga at the station and after some talk about where Mad Doug Biker was and whether the GPSs were set we set off. The riding was good and very quickly I realised it was also a bit faster than I was used to. We kept a decent pace on flats and downhills (I kept them waiting on uphills - must work on speed up them) and except for discovering that GPSs are no substitute for actually knowing where you are going it was a pleasant ride mainly in nice countryside and sometimes with a strong if blustery tailwind.

We met Scooch in Avonbridge and moved on to Linlithgow where I was very patiently guided through the town centre traffic by Scooch and while magnatom and Viniga set off to meet up with Seamab and Sleekitcollie. We caught up a little later and stood opposite the pub while Sleekitcollie explained his accident and how the injuries were healing.

After Linlithgow we soon met up with HLaB coming the other way and he, Seamab, Viniga and magnatom promptly left me behind at the next incline, so I didn't see the acrobatics display just wondered why they were all sat in the bushes at the side of the road as I turned up. Apparently there is a bit of competition for injuring themselves on these rides, and trying to go one better than Sleekitcollie who managed to crash going downhill, Seamab, HLaB and magnatom decided to have a crash going uphill. Luckily the bikes and riders were in a condition to carry on so we rode on to Edinburgh where we met up with HJ and Telemark who treated us to some very nice cake and soup and tea (in some cases electrolyte loaded :tongue:)

It was at this point that I found out about the CC Jersey, which I had somehow managed to miss completely on the forum :s. It was signed by Viniga and myself and as I was heading back on the train I agreed to look after the jersey, which is now safely stored on a shelf in my flat.

It was great to meet up with everyone
wave.gif
, and I hope to get back up to Scotland again soon. There's far more about this ride (including pictures of the cakes!) on this thread :bicycle:

As for the next leg of the journey, there's a few people in the Cumbria/Northumberland/Lancashire who aren't yet on the shirt - so who wants it? :biggrin:

Tynan

Veteran
OMG!

Tynan and the rather dishy (and sadly spoken for) TTcycle have finally met over a nice coffee and cake, me a satisfactory but modest slice of yoghurt and lemon cake, TT a huge slab of banana bread that I inexplicably missed

jersey handed over and Tynan now scanning the horizon for anyone left in the SE of England that hasn't already had and signed this one, I have dim recollections of someone to the north of me and a slightly grand expedition to deep Essex to meet Auntie Helen

a shoddy picture well taken by a young lady from the coffee counter but degraded by my battered and grubby phone, those seats and table we had were excellent btw

TTandTD.jpg

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Bad form, truly bad form- firstly for having the London jersey for over a year but i think under 1year 6 months and secondly for shirking an actual ride to hand it on. Tynan's posted in discussion but i think his post will be moved here eventually which shows a picture of us handing over the jersey. I could describe my mundane journey on the train, passing station after station but to be honest I think that would kill things a little! Yes, I know, I am a excuse for a cyclist but what the hell riding with a cold and my terrible immunityis only asking for trouble!

The offer of tea and cake really did whet the appetite and got out and off - Tynan and myself were very impressed with the plush 'thrones' in the cafe that were oddly vacant (maybe someone had wet themselves in the chairs unbeknown to us), coffee and cakes - a chat about life in general (mine helter skelter - Tynan's busy one with kids and wife) and of course bikes then we were off!

Dishy..hahah thanks!lol
Tynan- nice to meet you mate - thoroughly pleasant chap and no running over of peds at all whilst I was with him :whistle: hope to see you on an actual ride soon!

In my defence, I have gotten a healthy number of signatures onto the jersey since it's been in my posession- it just hasn't been taken up by any willing forummer but finally, it has gone and has been taken up so up to you folks to get it moving again.

EDIT - I've had it for just under a year- Now I don't feel so bad!

Tynan

Veteran
and now, after lurking under my computer table for seven months, it went to Dunwich with me and was handed over to 4F so is somewhere up in Suffolk

i ask that the circumstances of us both being rather weary and steeling ourselves to ride to Ipswich in the early morning be taken into consideration regarding no photo, my phone had also retired hurt after somehow being soaked with sweat

Top Bottom