Oh dear, been drinking bought a bent!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
How's the hangover? If it's via eBay and in London it looks good :okay: . Share a picky if it's not / is.

At least you didn't do what I did - bought a Talbot Samba convertible (the one below). I no longer drink alcohol.

4p4w10n.jpg

OP
OP
goody

goody

Veteran
No hangover it was only 1 can so don't think it affected my judgement that much.
Samba looks nice probably worth about 20k now, you have still got it haven't you?..

PaulM

Guru
So go on, spill the beans. What's coming? :hello:

My money is on the black Baron advertised in London on eBay. It looked like a Baron but might possibly have been a Challenge. There was no writing on the frame.

OP
OP
goody

goody

Veteran
IMG_20160902_194202.jpg

Its a Challenge!
(maybe in more than name alone).
First impressions from someone who's never ridden one,
Its lighter than I thought, the seating position is more laid back than I imagined (still needs a bit of fettling my thighs touch my hands when pedalling).
Practised setting off on the drive only had about 20' of room to play with after four or five 20' wobbly rides I set off round the block a 1km rectangular circuit slight uphill on one side and slight downhill on the other.
I had thought that once you get going it would handle like a normal bike, is it twitchy or are my steering inputs not sensitive enough plenty more practice needed I think. Had a couple of high(ish) speed swerves to the kerb maybe its the almost laid down position but it felt like a dive in a stunt plane maybe I wasn't concentrating enough. Not being used to the position I did find myself pulling on the bars to get my upper body higher rather than relaxing into the seat.
Did three laps of the block oncoming traffic actually pulled in a let me pass rather than heading towards me a full throttle like they do when I'm on the other bike. Maybe it confuses them a little.
Everything works well but the drive chain is noisy, stopping pedalling on the downhill section and the silence and speed felt great.
The mirror is great! It does need a seat pad and maybe a headrest.
I suppose the plan is to get used to riding it, get it setup how I want and then work towards PBP 2019. I can't see myself commuting on it, not into London in rush hour anyway.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Yes, the 'twichiness' is a major factor when first riding a low rider bent ! Can you raise the bars by an adjustment screw at the headset ? I have this on my Nazca Fuego.

Slow speed manoeuvering is tricky - beware of heel strike on the front wheel/ mudguard. I removed the mirror and went onto a large grass area to practice starting, stopping and some turning before I dared to venture onto hard road ! You're way ahead of me …:okay:

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
Looks great! I used to have a Challenge and remember the first few outings. I think the quick or twitchy steering is your brain thinking the front wheel is ahead of your feet, when it's obviously further back so you tend to oversteer at first. You'll soon get used to it though. I also found climbing hills hard at first, apart from using muscles slightly differently, I was also pulling on the bars. What you should do is brace yourself hard against the seat and then just pedal, with the lightest touch on the bars.
Like you, I also found other road users gave me a far wider berth when on it, compared to a "normal" bike.
Enjoy it, they're a blast.

OP
OP
goody

goody

Veteran
Yes, the 'twichiness' is a major factor when first riding a low rider bent ! Can you raise the bars by an adjustment screw at the headset ?
The bars move up and down at the headset/steerer, in and out (towards or away from you) and rotate in the steerer. Almost too many options to work out whats best!
I think if I hadn't got a Challenge it would have been a Nazca or Raptor.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
*goes to buy beer at the stop'n'shop*

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
I have a policy of, when I get moving, saying to myself "Relax, drop the shoulders, breathe slowly, pedal steady ..."
I still do it :smile: and dropping the shoulders was important for me as it was a shoulder injury that had put me off the DF bike.

Once you gain confidence, you will fly downhill :wahhey:, as the CoG is nice and low, you are cosily tucked in - and have all that aero advantage too ! :biggrin: :biggrin: :hyper:

OP
OP
goody

goody

Veteran
The dog is Riley. He was one of litter of thirteen dumped in a car park about 5 years ago. He prefers the mountain bikes.
Did a few more laps doing the clockwise circuit is easier as the right hand turns can be taken a bit wider and you have a better view of whats coming.
Then did a few laps anti clockwise the left hand turns are a bit trickier as they're tighter and the view is more restricted, wobbled over twice. Just put a foot down and probably looked a right tit trying to get it upright and get moving again. I'll have another go tommorrow I've got a week off work next week I might put it in the car and take it to Richmond Park.

At least you didn't do what I did - bought a Talbot Samba convertible (the one below). I no longer drink alcohol.

4p4w10n.jpg

Now, if it had been its older cousin, you'd have to fight the buyers off
Even in the rarer blue

Classics at the 'West Riding Bus Group' rally, on Heath Common (Sunday 10th July)

DSCF2552.JPG

It was in far better condition than this (iconic coloured) example, driven by a competitor at - race 7th of 9 - the; http://www.trunce.org/the-race-route/
Monday 8th August

13902757_10208928616604944_2341058392384478645_n.jpg

byegad

Legendary Member
Try steering while holding the bars with just thumb and forefinger. Your legs will adapt as you are using a slightly different group of muscles.

Top Bottom