Oh dear, been drinking bought a bent!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
If the provenance is correct....

I bought a Challenge Hurricane many years ago

It was imported by a cycle company in Nortampton and raced successfully for a season

If this is the case then I own the first Challenge recumbent imported into the UK

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
I'd say raise the seat angle, but it looks like it's on the highest setting? Low racers are a pig to ride at first, and my Raptobike took a week or so before I felt comfortable. Whereas my first 'bent, a Bacchetta Strada high racer was a doddle to ride.

Relax, unclench, and ride somewhere quiet. It will comes. If it doesn't, get a trike!

IMG_20160902_194202.jpg

Its a Challenge!
(maybe in more than name alone).
First impressions from someone who's never ridden one,
Its lighter than I thought, the seating position is more laid back than I imagined (still needs a bit of fettling my thighs touch my hands when pedalling).
Practised setting off on the drive only had about 20' of room to play with after four or five 20' wobbly rides I set off round the block a 1km rectangular circuit slight uphill on one side and slight downhill on the other.
I had thought that once you get going it would handle like a normal bike, is it twitchy or are my steering inputs not sensitive enough plenty more practice needed I think. Had a couple of high(ish) speed swerves to the kerb maybe its the almost laid down position but it felt like a dive in a stunt plane maybe I wasn't concentrating enough. Not being used to the position I did find myself pulling on the bars to get my upper body higher rather than relaxing into the seat.
Did three laps of the block oncoming traffic actually pulled in a let me pass rather than heading towards me a full throttle like they do when I'm on the other bike. Maybe it confuses them a little.
Everything works well but the drive chain is noisy, stopping pedalling on the downhill section and the silence and speed felt great.
The mirror is great! It does need a seat pad and maybe a headrest.
I suppose the plan is to get used to riding it, get it setup how I want and then work towards PBP 2019. I can't see myself commuting on it, not into London in rush hour anyway.

Why the fudge is there an anorexic polar bear standing next to it?

How much did it cost? (the bike, not the polar bear).

Attachments

• IMG_20160902_194202.jpg
    IMG_20160902_194202.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 51
Top Bottom