Oh dear - Electricity bill increase likely - Son's Gaming PC !!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Yeh, that was cool, still not the one I was thinking of tho. I shall find it. And probably find out that there is a free version available - or someone is selling an old arcade version on ebay and end up getting into trouble from my wife again for buying it :laugh:

Most of the old classic games are now playable for free online.

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Yeh, that was cool, still not the one I was thinking of tho. I shall find it. And probably find out that there is a free version available - or someone is selling an old arcade version on ebay and end up getting into trouble from my wife again for buying it :laugh:

There is a programme called MAME, that will emulate many arcade games. We've got Pacman, frogger, galaxian etc. all at home on the PC as it was originally !!! I've even got a Spectrum emulator as my lad was dead interesed in it, but pulled a joystick port out the back of it (like you do with modern stuff) and it killed my old spectrum.

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

My 'old' ex' gaming PC/family computer has 7 fans, but my lads will have about 8, but they are all quite big, so probably quieter. Oh and I do have to hoover out our old PC regular !

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Many games don't even come on disks nowadays. They're downloaded from Steam. When I were a lad I loaded games from cassettes...

Loved Manic Miner. The emulator will even do the load times. You can press fast forward fortunately.

Your son's new PC has identical specs and components to the rig I built a couple of months ago.

It can play every game I throw at it on max settings at full speed - completely overkill but it actually draws far less power than my previous machine. As it's heavily overclockable it will stand me in good stead for a great many years :addict::crazy:

(Yes, I'm old enough to know better, but I already have a good bike and live alone, what else would I spend the money on?)

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Your son's new PC has identical specs and components to the rig I built a couple of months ago.

It can play every game I throw at it on max settings at full speed - completely overkill but it actually draws far less power than my previous machine. As it's heavily overclockable it will stand me in good stead for a great many years :addict::crazy:

(Yes, I'm old enough to know better, but I already have a good bike and live alone, what else would I spend the money on?)

Fab. These new machines seem very energy efficient. I bought an AGP Radon 3850 for about £30 recently for our old PC. We did have a top end X850 XT PE that cost £250 about 10 years ago, but would now struggle, but the heat out of the old card was huge. The new (second hand) card has lowered heat massively, and is much faster.

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Good news, and I'd expect so.

The laptop we bought has a i7 that runs form 2.6 to 3.6 GHZ and has a GeForce 740 - it can play Crysis 3 on high which is a beast of a game. Watchdogs was a blast (for my lad). The laptop does run it's fans on full, with a cooler under - the heat output is incredible though !!

Top Bottom