Oh dear - Electricity bill increase likely - Son's Gaming PC !!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It appears Defender and Scramble have been melted into one in my brain

And now I am not sure which one I was thinking of - but that is not important as I have now rediscovered both of them.

And I can now also throw Stargate into the mix!

And for the other format it looks as if Phoenix and Galaga may have been melted into one as well - I suppose they'd have both been available to play with one following on from the other, and probably more besides them.

Last edited:

john59

Guru
My son's gaming PC adds at least £1.00+ a day to our electricity bill.

Have things moved on since Sonic the Hedgehog?

I liked Sonic the Hedgehog.

I remember when Tir Na Nog on the Spectrum was "state of the art"

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKJZrKX6-7E

Edited.... and lets not forget the feast of graphic delight that was "Lords of Midnight"

doomdrk.gif

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
I was a huge Socom nut. Played til early mornings every night, made a couple of friends online (who I never met) and was part of the dream team clan...i played like that for about 4 years.
I was off work with a dodgy leg for a fortnight and was prescribed bedrest. I literally played 24 hours a day during that tine and started to dream socom. Later found myself walking down the street looking for sniper positions and scanning blind corners...it was a bizarre time

Then, just stopped, felt like I had wasted so much time and achieved nothing and haven't really played since. I had a go at Cod4 for a bit but didn't like the respawn ethic.

My playstation is now for the kids and gets a dusting once a week, otherwise isn't touched.
I was the same with WoW became all encompassing would be up at stupid o'clock at night and the morning. Eventually the penny dropped and I stopped playing . These games can grab you and pull you in if you let them lol. Mind you I enjoyed the gaming online !

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It's alive.

All bar one part turned up, so a quick dash Saturday am to get a water cooler. (Sod's law, the part arrived Saturday tea after the machine was built).

Took about 3 hours to build. My lad did it and I supervised, and lent extra hands when needed. Main issues were making the cables tidy.

Windows went in like lightning. We sorted the drivers out then my son benchmarked it. At this point I noticed it was the 32 bit edition, which meant it couldn't access 12gb of the 16gb RAM. Doh.

Tried again, same issue. Googled a fair bit and realised if you download 8.1 via Microsoft on a 32 bit machine, it automatically gives you the 32 bit version without asking. Retried by downloading it on a Win 8 laptop (64 bit) and it was the right version.

Had a couple of hiccups with the web cam but that's sorted now the updates are applied.

My son was itching to try Watchdogs out but the program wasn't launching. Again, googled for a while and found it doesn't like some of the software that the motherboard has for overclocking. Disabled this and the game runs and looks beautiful in ULTRA settings. It absolutely wipes the floor with the gaming laptop we have.

The water cooler does its job well, the heat blowing out from the radiator is pretty hot. The case exhausts are nice and cool so the cooling is working well. It does sound like a force 10 gale though.

My lad is over the moon and has been hard saving birthday and Christmas money. The last bit has come from his grandads will. Something his grandad would have been happy with as he was a techy silver surfer.

jhawk

Veteran
Never was much of a PC gamer - PACMAN in the early days, then America's Army a few years ago. Used to be a huge PS3 gamer back in the day. Me and my mates would spend hours on the bloody thing. Three words: Call of Duty.

Even my father and his friends got involved. Dad and I game a bit every now and then, Call of Duty: MW3, Survival Mode. He has been known to - in the past, throw controllers at walls - and snap them with his bare hands. I may get a little pissed off, but never like that! :O

Don't game much any more, thankful for it too. First year out of high school, I did very little with my time. Now that I've turned off the sodding console, I'm a lot more productive. :smile:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Two nights ago my husband unearthed an old PC and put it out in the conservatory till he had a chance to look at it. I saw torchlight through the kitchen door so went to investigate late only to find littlest Summerdays junior had taken the side off and was investigating by torchlight! I left him to it as it was far too cold.

The next day we went out to pick up the eldest and returned home to find he had taken it apart and cleaned most of the dust (he has helped Mr Summerdays do that previously under supervision), and was in the process of starting to put back some bits whilst working out what he wanted to change. Now if only I could get him that interested in bikes!

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
My son started by pulling an old PC to bits. He has been watching endless videos about PC building. He made one mistake, and he forgot to remove the protective tape off the cooler. Two minute job to correct.

Top Bottom