Oh Deer .....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ozboz

Guru
a well known Olympic triathlete had a run in with a Doe in Richmond Park and and smashed his pelvis
The Deer was uninjrured , apparently it just boiled in front of him on Brookfield Hill ,

Sharky

Guru
a well known Olympic triathlete had a run in with a Doe in Richmond Park and and smashed his pelvis
The Deer was uninjrured , apparently it just boiled in front of him on Brookfield Hill ,
Perhaps the doe didn't see the runner?
- No idea?

Slick

Guru
Got to be some unlucky set of circumstances for that to happen. There was a beautiful wee roe deer in the field this morning that I watched in awe as it bolted back into the hills. My biggest complaint was that I can never get close enough to them. Even in Paisley Moss sandwiched between Paisley and Glasgow Airport there is a family of 4 deer that are experts at evasion. That said, they have been known to attack if cornered or rutting but that's usually towards the end of the year. They are hardie beasts.

OP
OP
ozboz

ozboz

Guru
DE1B191B-CC62-41D3-A4DD-186F5185EC15.jpeg
The Deer in Richmond Park are quite used to people and in no way timid , as you can see by my pic , but some riders are quite unaware of the sudden dangers these animals can impose , for instance , on the very day day I took that pic about 1/2 an hour earlier on a no motor traffic road in the park there was a lot of Deer strewed both sides of the road , most of the cycle traffic slowed down so as not to spook them and limit any danger , but a group of 5 riders pushed on past me at a fair old speed without any consideration or concern whatsoever to danger the Deer could have inflicted or the harm on themselves or the Deer , all jolly dee chatting and laughing etc , If they had come unstuck I personally would have had no sympathy with the riders ,

Slick

Guru
View attachment 467582 The Deer in Richmond Park are quite used to people and in no way timid , as you can see by my pic , but some riders are quite unaware of the sudden dangers these animals can impose , for instance , on the very day day I took that pic about 1/2 an hour earlier on a no motor traffic road in the park there was a lot of Deer strewed both sides of the road , most of the cycle traffic slowed down so as not to spook them and limit any danger , but a group of 5 riders pushed on past me at a fair old speed without any consideration or concern whatsoever to danger the Deer could have inflicted or the harm on themselves or the Deer , all jolly dee chatting and laughing etc , If they had come unstuck I personally would have had no sympathy with the riders ,
Only time I've been that close to a deer is the farm variety.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Only time I've been that close to a deer is the farm variety.
One was in my back yard once. It jumped my fence and broke the stiles from my neighbors gate. White tail, or Virginia deer, are a bit bigger in the States.
41-94 inches in length, 21 to 42 inches tall. Ours run to the large side of that equation.

Slick

Guru
One was in my back yard once. It jumped my fence and broke the stiles from my neighbors gate. White tail, or Virginia deer, are a bit bigger in the States.
41-94 inches in length, 21 to 42 inches tall. Ours run to the large side of that equation.
We see them in our gardens too, there were 5 running free on a golf course I was a member at on the coast before they all mysteriously disappeared one night.

bladderhead

I was almost knocked down by a cow running across the road near Wanstead Flats. There was one in someone's front garden, eating roses. A woman emerged from the front door, brandishing a broom. Another cow jumped over the fence from next door. Woman beat a hasty retreat. They used to walk onto the grass verge by the A12. One was eating the black greasy grass right at the edge. Lifted its head up and mooed right in my lughole as I rode past. Their heads are HUGE! I looked into that mouth. Great cavernous red salivary space filled with a deafening bellow like the sound of Judgement Day. I nearly fell off, in the path of a lorry. I am sure the bugger did it on purpose.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I remember our local paper in Peoria ran an article about a deer attempting to mate with a lawn statue deer.
Interview with the offended property owner had some quote like;
I think he broke the tail off it.
The rest of the damage he caused was disgusting.

Sicut cervus....

Top Bottom