Oh for f**** sake.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
I suppose that if you had a few like-minded people you could form a Co-op and buy a Lidl Aldi A3. They are Kwik Save money on running costs and I am sure there must be More Reasons! I hope they drive in a Safe Way!

domtyler

Über Member
Arch said:
I'm sitting here listening to another student, nattering away on her phone to a mate, complaining about her boyfriend's potential choice of new car (we're talking about VW Golf/Audi/BMW type cars here, not old bangers, as if it being an old banger really matters). Something to do with him needing to get a 'sensible' car, not a sports car.

I'd have thought that by the time someone gets to being a postgrad, they'd be a little less shallow.

Plus she keeps saying Aldi, not Audi...

I wonder how she'd react if I told her she'd bloody lucky to have a boyfriend at all...

Oh dear, do I detect a touch of the GEM coming through here?

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
ChrisKH said:
Arch, I got criticised in an interview for calling my bosses shoes "Manilo Blaniks." She said 'That would be Manolo Blahniks, I think and anyway they are Christian Louboutin'.

It takes all sorts.;)

I think it's laughably pathetic when people attach importance to how you pronounce brand names. A mate of mine insists on pronouncing Nike as Nikey and I don't care if that is allegedly correct, they should sort the spelling out.

I once worked with a prat who got seriously upset because I kept pronouncing jamiroquai as Jammy Rock Why. She insisted that the stress was on the "i" in the middle. As if it matters how you pronounce a group fronted by a stunted tit.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
mr_hippo said:
I suppose that if you had a few like-minded people you could form a Co-op and buy a Lidl Aldi A3. They are Kwik Save money on running costs and I am sure there must be More Reasons! I hope they drive in a Safe Way!

Are they all lidl or can you get big ones too?

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
domtyler said:
Oh dear, do I detect a touch of the GEM coming through here?

GEM?

Oh! Green Eyed Monster?

Not about the cars no. I think she's damn lucky to have a living boyfriend though, and to have so little else to worry about that she can bitch about him having to spend his budget of "25-30K" (her words) on a sensible car with four seats (some work related thing I understand) as opposed to something flashy in the sports line that she'd like to be seen in, as if it mattered.... I gathered he wants to spend the money on two sensible cars (?) and she'd rather he was getting one flash one....

She is quite young, I suppose. It just wound me up, to hear such miserably materialistic priorities. If that's jealousy, guilty as charged.

And yes, I do swear like a trooper sometimes. But not when my Mum's listening.;)

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
NickM said:
Arch, the Kropotkin of Cycle Chat!

I thank you...:biggrin:

Or, Well, thank you very much!:angry:

(Depends on when I find out who or what Kropotkin is...);)

NickM

Veteran
Arch said:
I thank you...:biggrin:

Or, Well, thank you very much!:biggrin:

(Depends on when I find out who or what Kropotkin is...);)
Actually, I think I might have meant Proudhon :angry: but it didn't have quite the same ring and the thought's what counts, isn't it?

Landslide

Rare Migrant
Arch said:
I gathered he wants to spend the money on two sensible cars (?) and she'd rather he was getting one flash one....

But surely that would result in less cars on the roads (surely a good thing?) and therefore you should side with the materialistic little bint?

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Patrick Stevens said:
Hmmm...........her behaviour would be entirely typical in a commercial setting, but is somewhat surprising for a university.

I dunno. I wouldn't have been surprised so much by an undergrad.... I think the trouble is, I equate PhD's with a certain level of maturity, which isn't always there...

I suppose she'd think my frames of reference were pretty odd.

NickM

Veteran
Patrick Stevens said:
Hmmm...........her behaviour would be entirely typical in a commercial setting, but is somewhat surprising for a university.
There are plenty of people for whom a higher degree is nothing more than a passport to a desired lifestyle...

Top Bottom