Oh for f**** sake.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
SamNichols said:
Those Pygmy Chameleons are so cool. Life in Cold Blood is the only TV show worth watching at the moment, and Attenborough always has the capacity to amaze with the freakishness of animals.

As for computer clusters. The ones in the library should be treated as library space: i don't care about the ones in academic buildings, because I rarely use them. As it is, if I want to faff on the internet, then I use my laptop. Facebook searching (which I don't even have, somewhat bucking the trends of universities the world over) is not an acceptable use for academic clusters, and only serves to annoy and delay people who want to do real work.

Blooming students are the bane of my life, I have to find a job where I can avoid them as much as possible. Writing shall always be the dream, as I can then go and live on a remote scottish island and avoid all people, but unfortunately it is a bit of a pipe dream for a few years. Any ideas? Gentleman of leisure would be a good job, but I don't have the family income to rely on.

Well, writing on a remote Scottish island would be a bit of a dream for me too, so we can go halves. Although as I'm stoney broke, I'm not much help. I am willing to tend chickens and pigs etc, for a touch of self sufficiency. If I counted too much as 'people' I could have my own little cottage to live in, and just leave eggs, bacon and potatoes on your doorstep as I passed on my way to inspect the fish traps.

I'm loving Life in Cold Blood. I like that as Sir David gets older, he's got a bit more involved in the programmes - the old reverent narration was fantastic, but I love to see him, occasionally, actually there and really loving the wildlife - like that lizard he was showing the mirror to - his delight is so infectious.

NickM

Veteran
Arch said:
I'm loving [anything]...
Eeeeeerghhh! Please!! Don't!!!

Arch said:
Well, writing on a remote Scottish island would be a bit of a dream for me too, so we can go halves....

You two of course realize that remote parts of Scotland are populated by artists, misfits and weirdos, all trying to avoid other people?

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Crackle said:
You two of course realize that remote parts of Scotland are populated by artists, misfits and weirdos, all trying to avoid other people?

Yes, but there is quite a lot of remote bits of Scotland, so there's still space for a few more.

Except some bits of Orkney, which are over-run with silver jewellery makers, I believe.

If I can get knitting a pair of chunky socks down to less that a week to sell to tourists, I've got a sustainable trade! (BTW, I really am wearing a pair of homeknitted socks, right now... Dear gods, and a home knitted sweater...)

Arch said:
Yes, but there is quite a lot of remote bits of Scotland, so there's still space for a few more.

There is but depressingly land and house prices are on the up as more people settle.

Arch said:
Except some bits of Orkney, which are over-run with silver jewellery makers, I believe.

Yes, but they are very good. I bought my wife some for Xmas

Arch said:
If I can get knitting a pair of chunky socks down to less that a week to sell to tourists, I've got a sustainable trade! (BTW, I really am wearing a pair of homeknitted socks, right now... Dear gods, and a home knitted sweater...)

Actually you could. I know of a farrier who paints the old horseshoes and puts them in a box outside his door to sell - they sell!

Come to think of it you'd fit right in :wacko:

Crackle said:

They absolutely are. Just go to Durness. It's bleak, windswept hippyville in disused army buildings! And there's a giant fibre glass killer whale by the side of the road. What a bizarre place.

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Crackle said:
Actually you could. I know of a farrier who paints the old horseshoes and puts them in a box outside his door to sell - they sell!

Come to think of it you'd fit right in :wacko:

I have a pan trivet (you know, for putting hot pans on) made from an old horseshoe, with some hex nuts welded on for feet. I did the weldeding on myself:thumbsup:

Arch said:
I did the weldeding on myself:thumbsup:

And the speelling? :wacko:

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Arch said:
I have a pan trivet (you know, for putting hot pans on) made from an old horseshoe, with some hex nuts welded on for feet. I did the weldeding on myself:thumbsup:

You shouldn't weld things onto yourself!

*sudden mental image of Arch as Borg Queen from Star Trek*:wacko:

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Baby elephant would fit in a (clears throat noisily and spits) caravan methinks.

And it would have the wherewithall to cook some nosh or have a kip during the journey.

But it wouldn't be available for fiddling with TheDoctor's thingy

Amanda P

Legendary Member
[Arriving late to the discussion and picking up the dogends]

...and a pygmy chameleon would be much easier to smuggle out of the zoo, too.

You could even do it with a bike!

It wouldn't be much help with washing the car though.

(What was this thread about originally anyway?)

I love the way Attenborough's face lit up when he saw that pygmy chameleon. I think he's at least partly responsible for my choice of career*. (Attenborough, that is, not the chameleon).

*If you can call it a career.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Arch said:
Well, writing on a remote Scottish island would be a bit of a dream for me too, so we can go halves. Although as I'm stoney broke, I'm not much help. I am willing to tend chickens and pigs etc, for a touch of self sufficiency. If I counted too much as 'people' I could have my own little cottage to live in, and just leave eggs, bacon and potatoes on your doorstep as I passed on my way to inspect the fish traps.

QUOTE]

Message for SamNichols:

Does that seem like a too good to be true offer to you? :wacko: :wacko:

Top Bottom