Oh No! I think I`m getting hooked

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Old timer

Über Member
You`ll see from my profile that I`ve just purchased two new bikes for my wife and myself. Using a discount code we got them for £60 each:smile: Well, after spending a few extra quid for lights, more comfortable saddles and prop stands I must say that for just pleasure occasional local riding around the country lanes where we live they will probably outlast me(I`m 64) The thing that attracted me was full suspension for my lean backside and old bones.

So! getting the bug I thought I`d dig out my old mountain from the shed that hasn`t seen the light of day for more than 15 years. Surprisingly enough apart from being covered in cobwebs and dust things are not that bad. Just some rust on the QR saddle stem lever and around the headlock.
So I removed the canvas panniers that are quite rotten, stuck 50lb of air in the tyres (waiting for the bang that didn`t happen:laugh: checked the brakes etc and after lifting it realised just how much lighter it is than the new (what do you call it"gas pipe" frames) of the new bikes. Shot up the road and the 18 gears changed quietly and swiftly just like the first day I rode it and the speed difference between it and the new bike was quite pronounced. So! me thinks that this could well be my go anywhere bike with new panniers to carry a camera or two (that`s my main hobby, photography) so might be able to keep me fit as well as continue my hobby.
This bike wasn`t cheap when I had it built by Evans.
Parts on the bike.
Gears Exage mountain gears 6 speed + triple front crank
The crank has Shimano Biospace SIS on it. (I think it the one that runs oval)
Exage centre pull brakes (rear one is down low near the crank)
Brake levers are Exage BL MA50
Rims are Araya ali and the hubs and QR are Shimano.
The gear change levers are up by the brake levers and fixed to the handlebars and the brake levers by two screws.
The gear levers also have a smaller black lever which I assume are either locks or maybe fine tuners??
Handlebar stem is metal painted red.
Saddle is Terrabi Viscount
The rear pannier carrier is ali with the name Fastrack (blackburn USA)
Panniers are blue canvass with a sprung hook at the bottom that you engage and then lift and hook the tops into place.
Main frame black painted Chrom Moly and on the downtube is conforms to 6102 Taiwan.

So! that`s it really. I`m gonna give it a good clean and remove and oil up all cables etc and lub the chain (although there`s no rust on the chain)
The only parts that won`t clean up are probably the saddle stem QR and the headlock. I don`t mind replacing the QR but not to keen on renewing the headlock:blush:
I will probably need to replace the panniers but with what?? are there others not too expensive that will fit on that rack??
I still have the original mudguards in the shed so will probably refit them.

BTW I neally went over the handlebars when I first tried out the brakes! talk about positive.

So! any decent websites that I can browse to get my juices going?

thanks for reading and for any advice and do any of you remember some of these old fittings I listed?

Dave

www.pbase.com/davechilvers

Norm

Great tale, made me want to go and ride. :rofl:

Whilst my hardware is mostly different (same chainrings and gear train), I too dug out a 1990s MTB earlier this year, a Giant Coldrock also with a rack and rotten panniers.

I've Biopace chainwheels on my old MTB. I think they work well but people mistake them for elliptical cogs (and Shimano mucked up the marketing about appropriate cadences) so they are largely discredited.

Whilst there was nothing wrong with the tyres on it, they were designed to be used off-road so I've swapped them for some road-biased rubber and that is now my daily clunker ride. I love it. ;)

Arch

Married to Night Train
OP
OP
Old timer

Old timer

Über Member
Arch said:
Welcome old timer... (I used to know your brother, egg....)

Panniers: if you can bear to wade through this thread

http://www.cyclechat.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=48856

you'll see some recommendations and discussion of what to look for. I found these:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=13690

which seem to have the same fixing type as yours, so should work fine.

You can go mad spending on kit like panniers, but those seem to be well rated....
My brother Egg:laugh:;):laugh: on face:laugh:

OP
OP
Old timer

Old timer

Über Member
Norm said:
Great tale, made me want to go and ride. :rofl:

Whilst my hardware is mostly different (same chainrings and gear train), I too dug out a 1990s MTB earlier this year, a Giant Coldrock also with a rack and rotten panniers.

I've Biopace chainwheels on my old MTB. I think they work well but people mistake them for elliptical cogs (and Shimano mucked up the marketing about appropriate cadences) so they are largely discredited.

Whilst there was nothing wrong with the tyres on it, they were designed to be used off-road so I've swapped them for some road-biased rubber and that is now my daily clunker ride. I love it. ;)

Norm

I was thinking that new tyres and tubes would be in order after standing flat for so long and like you maybe change from off road to road tyres and then I could really fly:becool:

Dave

Top Bottom