Oh why oh why did I bother with this bike...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GoatBeard

Subway Carerra 1 project....

So far replaced -

Front shifter
Right shifter
Casette
Cables
Rear wheel

Now I've realized my noisy rear mech that I couldn't index out is being caused by very warped double front rings. They're suntour ones and the bolts are totally seized on. Any replacements recommend? The bolt heads have stripped 😣

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Oh dear sorry, budget bikes are often built down to a price so problems like this can occur.
Replacement square taper (assuming it is) chainsets are very reasonable (around forty quid or less) so no need to sweat the chainrings. If it’s Octalink it’s a chance to swap it out for a ST.
More money to spend :sad: but on the upside you should have a well sorted bike at the end :smile:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Oh dear sorry, budget bikes are often built down to a price so problems like this can occur.
Replacement square taper (assuming it is) chainsets are very reasonable (around forty quid or less) so no need to sweat the chainrings. If it’s Octalink it’s a chance to swap it out for a ST.
More money to spend :sad: but on the upside you should have a well sorted bike at the end :smile:
i think the issue is that many who buy such bikes dont look after them in the 1st place

OP
OP
G

GoatBeard

Any pointers in identifying a compatible replacement crankset? I can see it's square taped, and it reads SR Suntour PFF. I'm not sure what size it is. Looking for a double, 52t would great if that's available.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Isn’t your original a triple? If so you’ll have to remember there’s an extra click on the shifter.

OP
OP
G

GoatBeard

What do I need to look out for when buying a new crankset, please? Wheels are 26in, and it's 8 speed. What else matters? Do I need to measure up anything. Not worried about arm/stroke length as I can just transplant my old arms if they'll fit. Would really prefer a double, hate triples.

Sharky

Guru
A "crankset" is the cranks + chainrings. If replacing all of this, then you just need to make sure it is compatible with your bottom bracket. Probably a square taper one?

If you are just replacing just the chain rings, need to make sure the BCD (Bolt circle diameter) is the same. Google BCD for an explanation. You just need to measure the distance between two chainring bolts and look it up on the table to see which bcd you need.

To keep as simple as possible, replace the rings with the same number of teeth.

Best of luck

Gunk

Guru
What do I need to look out for when buying a new crankset, please? Wheels are 26in, and it's 8 speed. What else matters? Do I need to measure up anything. Not worried about arm/stroke length as I can just transplant my old arms if they'll fit. Would really prefer a double, hate triples.

Have you got a photo of the existing one?

Top Bottom