Oi! Take your gel packets home with you!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
They "cull" 400 deer each year in Richmond Park, so 5 more doesn't seem a huge problem. And it's probably not gel packets that are doing it.

However, I spoke to the official at RP who looks after events the day after RideLondon. Apparently the behaviour of the public (cycling and others) at these events is getting notably worse. He was particularly exercised about walker during ride London ignoring the road closure signs. I had the feeling they are close to the point of saying no to cycle events in the park.

winjim

Smash the cistern
If you can carry it full, you can carry it empty! I get that the odd one might be dropped accidentally, but people should at least try!
Have you ever tried to put a used gel wrapper back in your pocket? It's fiddly and messy, you end up with sticky goo all over your hands and then the dregs seep through your jersey and make your back really uncomfortable. Much easier to just toss it.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Have you ever tried to put a used gel wrapper back in your pocket? It's fiddly and messy, you end up with sticky goo all over your hands and then the dregs seep through your jersey and make your back really uncomfortable. Much easier to just toss it.

This post has to be a wind-up, surely?

I've thought for long that there has to be a way of dealing with litter louts. If I was King of the World I would oblige drinks manufacturers and anybody selling takeaway food to use a high quality package that could be recycled and to charge a big deposit on it. This would create a market for discarded packaging and quite soon somebody would invent a way of collecting all that carp thrown away by selfish lazy to55ers and make money recycling it. Oh and a few well-publicised public floggings would help to educate the feckless as well.

Last edited:

wonderloaf

Veteran
This post has to be a wind-up, surely?

I've thought for long that there has to be a way of dealing with litter louts. If I was King of the World I would oblige drinks manufacturers and anybody selling takeaway food to use a high quality package that could be recycled and to charge a big deposit on it. This would create a market for discarded packaging and quite soon somebody would invent a way of collecting all that carp thrown away by feckless lazy to55ers and make money recycling it. Oh and a few well-publicised public floggings would help to educate the feckless as well.
Already been done, as a kid in the sixties my main source of income was collecting all the discarded pop & beer bottles and taking them to the newsagent/off licence to get the deposit back.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Put the empties in the foil or plastic that your panini (heroic) or rice cake (sky) was wrapped in, then shove it in your pocket... or as you don't have a team car or roadside swanny handing you refills as you ride, shove it in whatever stem or bar bag you're using to carry sufficient food.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
However, I spoke to the official at RP who looks after events the day after RideLondon. Apparently the behaviour of the public (cycling and others) at these events is getting notably worse. He was particularly exercised about walker during ride London ignoring the road closure signs. I had the feeling they are close to the point of saying no to cycle events in the park.
I don't agree with rewarding walkers for disrupting cycle events by stopping the cycle events. Surely if walkers won't behave, they should be closing the park to them when cycle events are on, like they do overnight during the deer culls.

fimm

Veteran
Empty gel packets go up the leg of your shorts, obviously. Or in your bento box/tri bag/whatever you call the little container that goes at the front of your top tube to hold gels & such, which even has a separate space for the waste (why did I spell that waist?)

Top Bottom